Heims/Johnny Joint/Bushings for 4 link (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have got my tubing for my links. My neighbor scored 190 feet of 1.75" .500 wall dom for $1.50 a foot.:bounce: I didn't believe it until I saw it. The guy kept promising it was DOM, I was expecting pipe. But sure enough it's dom.

Anyway, I can't make up my mind about ends. Local shop uses bushings on the axle side of the lower links and uses 7/8" shank with 3/4" bore heims everywhere else. They also use the same heims on the uppers. I've seen alot of folks running Johnnie Joints on here.

What is everyone running and what would you do differently.

I'm building my new shop, so this will be a project for later in the year.

JR

threaded shank JJ's are like $39 a piece right now.

Depending on what you want to do, that is super cheap..

We have our own 4 link joint called the "Hyper Joint". The main body is a machined hub with a 1" x 8 thread pitch milled on the inside. From there we use a 1" bolt tig welded on a machined hub that has a XJ bushing pressed into it. On the fixed end it is another machined hub with an additional XJ bushing pressed in.

These joints will allow for 360* rotation with absolutely no binding at all. There are at least 2 pre production sets out there and have been well used. No breakage and absolutely no need to rebuild them. I am currently running a set of them on my FJ40, and three more sets that will be installed on two different Cascade Cruiser rigs.
HyperJoint.jpg
Link01.jpg
Link02.jpg

I'm running the Forged JJ's because I was buying $20 of 'em, so even a $10 difference per unit makes a big difference in the end.

Only thing is, you can't just snug them up when they get loose.. it's rebuild. So no big loss in my book considering the cost.

Strength

I saw on PolyPerformance that the JJ had a 9/16" bolt diameter. Is that strong enough.

JR

I am using one as the axle end of a Wishbone.. So I hope so ;)

BTW, MT's Hyper Joints are a neat little unit.

I probably would have used them instead of the JJ on my 3 link if I had known about them (not available at the time)

We have our own 4 link joint called the "Hyper Joint". The main body is a machined hub with a 1" x 8 thread pitch milled on the inside. From there we use a 1" bolt tig welded on a machined hub that has a XJ bushing pressed into it. On the fixed end it is another machined hub with an additional XJ bushing pressed in.

These joints will allow for 360* rotation with absolutely no binding at all. There are at least 2 pre production sets out there and have been well used. No breakage and absolutely no need to rebuild them. I am currently running a set of them on my FJ40, and three more sets that will be installed on two different Cascade Cruiser rigs.

These things are amazing! Eventually, I will be running these as well. :cheers:

We have our own 4 link joint called the "Hyper Joint".

How much $?

and how much deflection dose that bushing give on the vertical plane? i guess 5-10 Degrees or so is all you need in this setup right?
attachment.php

I would have liked to use these when i did my axle wrap bar!

How much $?

and how much deflection dose that bushing give on the vertical plane? i guess 5-10 Degrees or so is all you need in this setup right?
attachment.php

I would have liked to use these when i did my axle wrap bar!

They are normally $125 for the hyper joint end and one machined hub end including the bushings. So that is one complete link. We are doing a special right now for a complete 4 link for $400.

What exactly are you asking for on vertical deflection? I am guessing you are asking about twist? If so it can twist all it wants because it twists on a thread so there is no binding through the entire cycle of the suspension.

LT I think Isotel is actually asking about lateral deflection. How much angular movement side to side.

They use a rubber bushing IIRC, there shoudl be plenty of misallingment..

BTW, $400 for the whoe set of links is a great deal..

I saw on PolyPerformance that the JJ had a 9/16" bolt diameter. Is that strong enough.

JR

I'm fully convinced that people breaking the 9/16" grade 8 bolts on a trail rig are doing something wrong.. they're loose or something..

During our rock race, I watched a guy launch his buggy and he landed on the worst possible plane for landing to where the suspension didn't move.. he just came to an abrupt halt. split the tire, bent the wheel. He kept going WFO.. broke the steering ram mount which caused him to hit a tree at ~30 with the RF.

Bent a 1" solid hi-steer arm, ovaled out the hole in a dedenbear knuckle's TRE hole (no TRE installed), trashed the wheel even worse, and destroyed 2 new RE joints on the lower link.. they just exploded. The 9/16" bolts didn't bend.

I'm running them on my rockwelled rig with a 325hp truck LS1.. I'm not concerned about the bolts. Large RE joints use 9/16" also.

I am using the Hyper Joint (a pre-production unit if I am not mistaken) on my rig, and it is a great unit. Have built a couple other customers rigs with them, and they are my link end of choice. I have had NO issues with the 9/16" bolt even with 42" swampers and 350 hp....

Great product. Thanks!

Ed

They are normally $125 for the hyper joint end and one machined hub end including the bushings. So that is one complete link. We are doing a special right now for a complete 4 link for $400.

What exactly are you asking for on vertical deflection? I am guessing you are asking about twist? If so it can twist all it wants because it twists on a thread so there is no binding through the entire cycle of the suspension.

Damnit! That's a good deal... When are you guys gonna build my my 3-link for the front?!?

I'm going to try these on various projects, they are sealed, which means they actually might last. 16mm (.63", or about 5/8") bolt bore, the ball is 42mm (1.65"). The second picture shows it next to an FZJ80 lower radius arm bushing for size comparison.

sealed_joint.jpg

sealed_joint2.jpg

sealed_joint3.jpg

bjowett said:
I'm going to try these on various projects, they are sealed, which means they actually might last. 16mm (.63", or about 5/8") bolt bore, the ball is 42mm (1.65"). The second picture shows it next to an FZJ80 lower radius arm bushing for size comparison.

Are these the hyper joints?

If not is there a pic of one disassembled like this?

hime style joints SUCK, I have the 3/4 inch 7/8 inch size steel ones from QA1. I do not know witch is worst the squeeking or the clatter from the slite bit of play. All 8 in the rear 4 link of my POS are on my list of things to hate for ever.

hime style joints SUCK, I have the 3/4 inch 7/8 inch size steel ones from QA1. I do not know witch is worst the squeeking or the clatter from the slite bit of play. All 8 in the rear 4 link of my POS are on my list of things to hate for ever.

Cheap heims suck..

How old are the ones you are complaining about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom