Heavy Duty AHC Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m of the seeming minority that really likes the AHC. My 2006 LX has been working well for me so far, but I’m starting to look at options to update the suspension. I’d love to keep the full AHC functionality, but wonder if there are changes that one should make to account for all the extra weight of the armor, bumpers, etc. we tend to pile on [currently running non-AHC springs/torsion bars, and Timbren SES all around, which has worked pretty good, just wondering if there is a better way with “heavy duty” globes, etc?].

Has anyone here completely rebuilt the AHC system to accommodate full expedition weight?

If so, what did you do, and how much did it all cost?

Alternatively, has anyone brought a truck back to the dealer and asked them to replace all the system with a factory new one (globes, shocks, pump, etc.)? If so, what did that all cost?

I haven't heard of anyone putting together heavier duty globes. There's the guy in the UK that rebuilds them and similar parts for Citroens, but I'm betting he's trying to make them as original as possible.

Parts catalog says retail price for the globes is $750 each. Online prices are about $560. That's a pricy refresh.

I would think AirLift airbags in the rear springs would help considerably if adding weight in the rear i.e. drawers, RTT and/or rear bumper with swingouts. As far as a full dealer rebuild, I'd guess around $4800 at minimum (if replacing all components)

From ebay you can source aftermarket spheres. They give you 3 types. The softest is same as oem, the heavy duty one should work well for heavy towing / expedition trucks
If you have already addressed the springs, togerther new new spheres I think you're sorted

From ebay you can source aftermarket spheres. They give you 3 types. The softest is same as oem, the heavy duty one should work well for heavy towing / expedition trucks
If you have already addressed the springs, togerther new new spheres I think you're sorted

Does anyone here have 1st hand experience with the “heavy duty spheres/globes”?

Also, any more detail on who the EBAY vendor for these is? I tried searching on eBay and could not locate anything other than people selling their used globes...

I love my AHC too, but I would *seriously* consider a spring/TB refresh before spending extra money on the AHC yet. Several posts in the forum detail how to replace the AHC fluid with new and bleed the system. Then with a Techstream setup, adjust the tortion bars to get the AHC well within spec. I added Kind Springs in the back *along with* a 30mm spacer, but I have a Rooftop tent, drawers, and a 95l fridge on the truck full time and I tow a lot.

The AHC is invaluable to me for a large variety of things (especially towing). But I'm not sure even I need heavier-duty (or new) globes.

I believe the upgrade for the front accumulators is to use the rears, up front. Higher pressure and higher capacity. Or, look into the LX570 accumulators as it is a heavier vehicle. Anybody know the LX570 accumulator specs?

Getting rid of AHC also frees up a great spot to add a second battery, jussayin'....

FqUlZdm.jpg

I’m of the seeming minority that really likes the AHC. My 2006 LX has been working well for me so far, but I’m starting to look at options to update the suspension. I’d love to keep the full AHC functionality, but wonder if there are changes that one should make to account for all the extra weight of the armor, bumpers, etc. we tend to pile on [currently running non-AHC springs/torsion bars, and Timbren SES all around, which has worked pretty good, just wondering if there is a better way with “heavy duty” globes, etc?].

Has anyone here completely rebuilt the AHC system to accommodate full expedition weight?

If so, what did you do, and how much did it all cost?

Alternatively, has anyone brought a truck back to the dealer and asked them to replace all the system with a factory new one (globes, shocks, pump, etc.)? If so, what did that all cost?
What springs and tbars are you running? I love my AHC, its in good shape, I have the slee override for speed, but considering bigger springs for the load.

If you don’t want to alter substantially the ride height, you can definitively tune / upgrade your AHC.
I had the ebay type which failed after two years. Ordered Pleiades and very happy so far.
Once you have all you kit on the car, you need to re-tune your AHC and check for correct pressures.
At the front, you will need to re-index the TB. I don’t think that upgrading TB will bring much. In the back, updating the read springs (i know there is a slightly stronger option to take more weight) with air springs or spacers is probably the best.
If you want to gain ride height , you may use the adjustement range but if you want more, i think you may run into geometry issues that are more complicated to resolve and require more kit.
Proper function of the pump, accumulator spheres and fresh fluid with a reader for AHC pressures is the key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom