Heater Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 65' FJ40 with a 350 conversion and am in the need of a heater that can withstand a cold MN winter. The 65' does not have a vent on the passenger side for a cold air intake and it does not have the same openings through the firewall. Any help or aftermarket ideas would be greatly aprreciated.

Ive got a "dealer installed cab heater" that was pretty standard for that vintage. The core is brand new and you don't drill any holes, except for mounting, in the firewall. Downside, mounts on the passenger side so it encroaches on legroom. No fresh air intake, fan motor is in cab and is kinda noisey. I'm going to stock so will be removing. You can have the whole unit for $60 plus shipping. I've got $80 tied up in the core.
Oh, it has defrost diverter, too. It blows nice and HOT.
Ed Long
Another option would be to pick up any aftermarket heater and install it under the drivers seat. Actually, a LC rear heater fits real nice there. You can usually pick up one of those for $50-80. If you drive by yourself, that would be my choice. :)

I had one of those heater cores with the fan attached right to it and mounted to the pass. side floor. I thought it was some "home made" jobbie. It really sucked. I guess what I would like to do is find something that I can mount under/inside the dash and run defrost as well as fab something to for side window defrosts as well. the dash is totally different on a 65' then any later models. I want it hotter than two mice f@!#ing in a wool sock!!!

Vintage air they make A/C and heater unit they aren't cheap but I put one in a cruiser I built for my dad and it is kick a$$. It will run you out in the winter and the A/C keeps the old man cool in the summer I believe the whole set up I got was under $600. It seemed like alot to me but the price is well worth it at 10 below and 20mph wind. BTW his cruiser is V-8 conversion as well. Just a thought.

You really got a vintage air unit for $600? The only dealer I have found is JTO, and they couldn't send the right parts for $995. (Nor did they give a crap). Where did you find your unit?

Somebody once recommended an old school bus floor heater. I've never seen a school bus junkyard, but it might be worth checking out.

Just to clarify, the aftermarket heater I currently run attaches to the firewall under the dash. Your choice is floor heat or flip a lever and you divert to defrost, two 2" round tubes that point up, like you attach hoses for defrost. The heater hoses come through the firewall.
I'd still advise picking up a '40 or '55 rear heater and installing under the driver's seat, but then no defrost. The '65 and '66 had those wing like things that came through the windshield frame for defrost. I fabbed some sheetmetal ducts that I pop riveted to the underside of the cowl and connected them to the heater with some flex hose, but I'm also running a '73 windshield. Frankencruiser...
GL
Ed

Try jegs, they offer the mojave heater, its made by flexlite. Four wheel drive did a write up on it a few months ago. I have one, but haven't installed it yet. It cost me about $250 I think. Make sure you get the plenum kit for it. I've heard nothing but good things about these heaters.

I just installed the heater craft 1102. I like it, but it is a bit noisy. Like I can tell in my cruiser. ;) It works really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom