Headlight troubles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rmlca.ab.ca
OK, I give up and I am asking for help. My '85 BJ70 (12 Volt) headlights have crapped out.

I am in the process of rewiring them but I'm having problems. The harness has two white wires and one red wire coming off from the headlight on/off high/low beam stalk. When it's off, no continuity between any wires. When on, continuity between all three wires. I don't get it.

Second, on an H4 lamp there are two vertical tabs and one horizontal one. Which one is ground? Which is high or low?

Confused,
Craig.

cheere Craig, on my R/H drive hj75..
high beam..
drivers light, inside contact red and blue & top Red and green are active..outside contact yellow and red is off.
pass side. top r/g is on and outside r/blue is on inside r/green is off.
low beam driivers side both bottom contacts are on,, top red/green off.
pass side, both bottom contacts are on top r.green is off.
forgot to mention all our headlights have the same as the h4 setup. cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Trouble is, I am planning on rewiring the whole thing (not the stock configuration) to better handle the H4 lamps and because there is a mystery short somewhere in my harness.

So here is my question, the 3 wires which come off the steering stalk have no continuty when off, then ALL have continuity when on. Infinity ohms when off, 0 ohms when on between all three.

How can I get this to work for me;
http://sightly.net/peter/lola/tech/headlights.jpg

when the switch doesn't seem to do what it should?

Craig.

Craig try this
attachment.php

headlight wiring-Model.jpg

OK, here is my turn to eat some crow. After finally getting a friend to look at the headlights before I ran a separate switch and bypassed the whole stock system, he looked at it for 5 minutes and fixed it.

It turns out it was the fusible link coming off of the battery that was blown. That's it. Now it's all fixed and back to stock. I didn't even know that that link was for the headlights despite staring at the wiring diagram for hours.

As an electrician, I feel shame. Thanks for the help guys.

Craig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom