Headlight Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have historically used the Meguiar’s headlight restoration kit and have been very happy with it. However, the Meguiar’s kit is all hand sanding (a workout), so I wanted to try the 3M kit because it accommodates drill sanding and wanted to see if it could outperform the Meguiar’s. The 3M kit has a 4.5-star rating with 15,884 reviews, so I thought what the heck.

The bottom line is that I simply could not get a good result with the 3M kit. In fact, I had to use the Meguiar’s kit to repair the poor result of the 3M kit. That’s what the images portray: Meguiar’s repair of the 3M result.

IMG_1255.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG

The 3M kit starts with a 500-grit followed by 800-grit dry rotary sand, followed by a 3000-grit rotary wet sand. Then, a rotary polishing with a sponge. I should have paid attention to my instinct telling me that dry sanding with 500 was too deep because I think that’s one of the flaws of the 3M kit. Although I salvaged the poor result with Meguiar’s kit, there is still a haze that was not there before. Frankly, I was pretty upset about the 3M outcome.

The Meguiar’s kit starts with 1000-grit hand wet sand followed by 3000-grit, then rotary polishing using a cloth wheel that is superior to the 3M device IMO.

It’s ashame they’re no longer glass lenses like on 99-04 100s. My 04 glass is spotless.
Recommend OEM replacement if not satisfied followed up by PPF. 3M/Xpel both offer UV protection and will prevent it from reoccurring.

The problem with the 3M kit is the most coarse paper is very sensitive to too much pressure. If you go really light with it you can get decent results.. but usually people just put swirls in that take other work to remove.

Sadly glass days are over, and polycarbonate has large advantages. I just don’t understand why they can’t find a PC formulation that can resist UV, especially on a 80K dollar vehicle.

Many years ago I had my wife's 2004 Sienna done at a shop and it turned out good but within a couple years had to do it again. Did it myself a few times (Meguiars). Then about 5 years ago I did it myself and then had a Protec film put on. They have been good ever since. I wash them carefully (no brushing at the car wash) and that's it.

I have used the 3M kit and was happy with the results. I have gone through many iterations of headlight polishing on former vehicles. My best success came from wet sanding the headlights. I have a hose running over the headlights as I sand them. Light pressure is also key

View media item 66261
View media item 66260
View media item 66259
View media item 66265
View media item 66264
View media item 66263
View media item 66258
View media item 66262
Looks great. What grit progression do you go through? And how do you preserve the finish against UV after you are done?

I used this on my T100 for years after each clean up headlights. I believe it double life between redos.
Spraymax 3680061 2K Clear

Looks great. What grit progression do you go through? And how do you preserve the finish against UV after you are done?

I dont remember the grit progression, but it was the more expensive of the standard kit options for headlight restoration (good, better, best kits). I remember the last step was to add a UV sealant that worked very well. You have to get a heavy coating in one go because it gets sticky after the first pass if you try and reapply a second coat. Have had no complaints in 2 years and I park outside daily.

I also restored the headlights on my parents car and looks new still- but they garage their sedan.

Looks good. I recommend sealing in all that hard work with paint protection film.

Ive used the 3M product on multiple vehicles with very good results. I have found the key is to sand everything wet and by hand. Always by hand. Then i finish with the product included in the kit. I then use 303 after each wash and the headlights stay like new.

I have used 303 on my 200s headlights since new. It sits outside all the time. The headlights still look like new after almost 6 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom