Headlight Differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would expect all of those side effects for brand new aftermarket lights.

Your factory ones are filling with humidity?
Yep, humidity or precipitation leaking into them. They've done pretty well for 11 years in the sun, heat, dust, bird strikes and the never-ending vibrations & shock loads. I've got LED bulbs in them and they still throw excellent light - I just wonder if something with LED's built into it from the start might be better...?

Last edited:
Yep, humidity or precipitation leaking into them. They've done pretty well for 11 years in the sun, heat, dust, bird strikes and the never-ending vibrations & shock loads. I've got LED bulbs in them and they still throw excellent light - I just wonder if something with LED's built into it from the start might be better...?
OE headlight buckets are expensive for good reasons. They are quite difficult to make when you consider things like how precise the reflector shapes need to be.

I have never seen an aftermarket headlight that approached OE levels of materials, light pattern, or quality of electrical connections. Yours leaking means simply polishing them won’t do much good.. personally I’d be trying to find a set of used factory buckets and polish them. Without having been in an accident the leaks you have are quite rare as far as I know.

OE headlight buckets are expensive for good reasons. They are quite difficult to make when you consider things like how precise the reflector shapes need to be.

I have never seen an aftermarket headlight that approached OE levels of materials, light pattern, or quality of electrical connections. Yours leaking means simply polishing them won’t do much good.. personally I’d be trying to find a set of used factory buckets and polish them. Without having been in an accident the leaks you have are quite rare as far as I know.
It's just an age thing. I've got a 2015 Hilux here that's doing the exact same thing. I'll probably just source some new reflector buckets (we have a couple of trade accounts with automotive suppliers) at some point when the work calms down a little bit....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom