Header Decision (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang,

I am currently running the maf style 6-1 header. It has some holes in it where the down pipes begin to merge into the collector. I am looking to replace it with a ceramic coated header and I can either get one that is coated already, or have one coated.

I know that I have seen this info before, but I tried to search for it and came up empty handed.

Which headers can you run PS with and which ones will get in the way? I know that the two piece will get in the way of PTO, but does that go for PS as well?

Thanks,

I've got minitruck PS and the SOR 2 piece, close, but no problems. Headers are much cheaper to buy them already coated. I checked JetHot and it was going to be $200 plus freight both ways, whereas it is about $100-150 more if you buy them already coated. I balked and just put another coat of paint on them. Cheap bastard that I am.
GL
ED :)

Thanks Degnol, I noticed the price thing as well.

Anyone running PS with the MAF two piece ceramic coated headers that have the ball type joints on the ends?

can u run the 6 to 1 with a PTO, someone told me u cant, i want to put one on, but i dont want to waste my money if it wont fit.

i have the MAF two piece, but didn't install it, PO did, so i'm not sure how much/any mods were made to the header. (it doesn't look like any, however, no obvious bending, etc.)

i have saginaw PS (the one out front behind the bumper) rather than toyota/stock location.

this combo fits very nicely, and the header tucks real nice. i've always been impressed by headers and exhaust just cause how it looks, ha ha.

xum, let me know where you find the ceramic coated ones, if you don't mind. also costs. the only place i've seen em in stock is maf for like 320ish?

thanks man and have a good one,
malphrus

Malphrus,

The ones that I have seen are the Maf that you speak of. TPI4x4 has what look like the Maf 6-1 that have been coated for $270, but are out of stock indefinatly. I think $OR has some too. The only diff that I can tell between the $OR and Maf are the bends are slightly different and the ends where they bolt up to the exaust pipe have different fittings. I think with the maf you have to buy a seperate y-pipe...

I really don't know which way to go on this one....

Thanks,

[quote author=70LCruiser link=board=1;threadid=13531;start=msg125407#msg125407 date=1080009380]
can u run the 6 to 1 with a PTO, someone told me u cant, i want to put one on, but i dont want to waste my money if it wont fit.
[/quote]

Can and have done.

IDave, any problems putting it in, or running the PTO.

The only issue I had was not the header, but the header pipe to muffler. The header pipe they sent wanted to cross into the PTO drive. I ended up buying the flange separately and welding a piece of exhaust pipe onto that, and running it back to the muffler. Then, I used hose clamps to wedge the exhaust as far against the inner frame as possible, to maximally clear the PTO.

Then, after all of that, and getting things working, I decided to go back to a stock exhaust (only so I could get the heatriser).

Have you bought your 6>1 yet?.

I was thinking about these...any input?

Thanks,

those are the header I have, I am running saginaw ps and they clear fine.

i honestly wasn't super impressed with the headers when I got them, and hooking up the smog stuff was a serious PITA, but they make the engine sound a hell of a lot better and gives it a noticable power increase.

The y pipe that MAF sells to connect their headers to a cat (my fj40 is a 79 first year for cat i think) is a piece of junk, get one made at a shop or something mine didn't line up very well, I had to bend it up with a floor jack.

If I were to do it again I would seriously consider the header that downey sells, it includes all the hardware (not a single piece of hw with the MAF header) but I haven't had any experience with it.

Does anyone have any experience w/the Downey ceramic header?

My cruiser does not have any of the smog stuff, and I need to re-do the exaust anyway...may not be that big of a deal.

Would any ole exaust shop have the fittings to connect to the "ball type" end on the Maf ceramics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom