Head Unit GPS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a new double din head unit for my 80. What is everyone using these days? There are so many options my head is spinning a little.

I use Apple Maps primarily and I definitely want a wireless CarPlay. Off road I use my Garmin GPS unit. I'd like to get rid of the Garmin and use Gaia on my head unit. Is that possible? Do I need to upgrade to a nav capable unit for this? The regular media players without on-board navigation would save me about $500 but I would pony up the cash if I could get my off road trails right on my head unit.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I had a CarPlay unit, but ended up taking it out and replacing it with a "dumber" unit. The reason being, is that the radio is mounted rather low in the dash, and I have my phone mounted higher (floating in the space in front of the clock via a Wit's End "Useless Cubby Insert", RAM ball mount & arm, and a phone holder). Thus, the phone was more in my field of view than the radio display, and easier to reach. Just something to keep in mind.

Although, manufacturers are starting to come out with "remote" displays, that you can mount wherever you want and cable to the head unit, which is a possibility for older cars to get the display more into your field of view.

I installed the Kenwood DDX9707S; very happy.

Useful hint: install the GPS receiver on the bottom of the dash board. Works just fine and is invisible.

If it was me i'd opt for the 'best value' head unit I could find for music only and then use an iPad mini loaded with Gaia connected via RAM mounts to Joey's useless cubby insert thingy. This way you have the iPad almost right in front of you when you need it. This is what I use and I'm totally happy with the solution.

The iPad, holder, the RAM mounts to the ball mount are only connected when I head out camping.

Very clean in my opinion !

If it was me i'd opt for the 'best value' head unit I could find for music only and then use an iPad mini loaded with Gaia connected via RAM mounts to Joey's useless cubby insert thingy. This way you have the iPad almost right in front of you when you need it. This is what I use and I'm totally happy with the solution.

The iPad, holder, the RAM mounts to the ball mount are only connected when I head out camping.

Would love to see some pics. Thanks.

There's always the maximum effort approach

IMG_20200620_100329.jpg

Cheers

I can, maybe on the weekend since I’m up in Tahoe and don’t have the iPad mini and accessories with me..

ProjectNmotion: what is that, brand, model number, how is it attached???

That is a great idea. I really like the idea of getting rid of a device. On board nav for my head unit that use gaia or other off road GPS systems as well as Apple CarPlay is really what I’m shooting for. But there’s not much clear info on this I’ve been able to find.

I had a CarPlay unit, but ended up taking it out and replacing it with a "dumber" unit. The reason being, is that the radio is mounted rather low in the dash, and I have my phone mounted higher (floating in the space in front of the clock via a Wit's End "Useless Cubby Insert", RAM ball mount & arm, and a phone holder). Thus, the phone was more in my field of view than the radio display, and easier to reach. Just something to keep in mind.

Although, manufacturers are starting to come out with "remote" displays, that you can mount wherever you want and cable to the head unit, which is a possibility for older cars to get the display more into your field of view.
Definitely can agree with this. I've got a double din in the dash that accepts CarPlay. Figured it would be great for getting out into the woods and use Gaia for mapping.

The screen is not only too low, but it is not tilted towards your eyes. This creates a terrible glare from the sun or just general reflection and renders it useless. I wouldn't waste my time/effort/money on getting a screen in place there for GPS. Get something that will play some tunes and come up with a different solution for navigation.

I'm in the process of figuring out an iPad and mounting it via the cubby above the radio.

Are you able to use farming or Magellan or Gaia on this?

I'm not sure about any of those specifically, but it's the Alpine ILX-F309 head unit, and it supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I have an Android phone, so I use Google Maps on Android Auto for navigation all the time, and it works quite well.

Cheers

@StudsTerkel Gaia works great on an ipad, for me. Took it off my phone because my old eyes need a bigger screen. For downloading maps, you'll need a wireless connection, so I'm not sure a mounted headunit could support that, unless you could connect it to a hotspot on your phone. Then you'll need a good touchscreen on the head unit to navigate, and rig environments are not the kindest place, so they'd be very hard on it. I download maps at my home wireless before heading out on a trip, so my ipad stays out of harm's way for the most part. Just some thoughts for you to consider.

Here you go....

As you can see, there are multiple locations to ‘position‘ the iPad based on the arm articulation you choose and of course you can view the screen in landscape or portrait orientation.

CF22093D-BD35-4F93-AFBA-69C6EC98442D.jpeg

9DC11130-CD78-4E78-83AC-703D71683955.jpeg

F5EC8304-D16B-4BE0-A4D5-55442FD8263B.jpeg

332AF16C-1F65-429F-9FF8-0E796E42BBB8.jpeg

A7579379-A675-4B76-8170-EE4D5FBC4DC9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom