Head gaskets - Factory the best bet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
So after search gave me nothing, what is the best bet head gasket to replace mine?

Is the improved factory gasket like landtanks standard now, or is it a special part# to get one?

Was there a problem with head gaskets since it seems like a lot of people with '95-'97's are doing 'em ?

Any specialized gasket to use since future upgrades might include a TRD supercharger?

Anything else to do while I'm in this far with the head off?

Is the timing chain slipper prone to failure, or was the one on Slee's site a fluke?

I really only want to do the gasket this time and at full rebuild (hopefully 250-300k)

I'm doing a compression test tomorrow, but I'm banking on finding a bad #6 chamber to cooling jacket failure, based on the fact that I've got steam in my exaust, and the fact that I'm throwing engine codes PO300 (generic knock detected) & PO306 (#6 cylinder knock detected)

I'd send C-Dan a PM, but he's out for a while yet. Dam my bad luck.

LINUS- sorry to hear you joined the head gasket club. Someone (Robbie?) speculated earlier that the prevalence of '95-97s w/ HG failures was because the engines with OBD-II run hotter.

What are the specs on your truck- how many miles, do you use it hard, tow, etc?

I wish they'd do a recall on these things because it's obvious they recognized the problem when they came out with the new HG design, but the limited # of 80s out there probably means they can afford to do nothing.

Isn't spewing coolant into the environment a green issue? I'm sure that Toyota doesn't want to tarnish its reputation with a failure of this magnitude of its flagship, top of the line, high durability vehicle. I think we as a group should write a letter to Toyota to request a recall of an obvious design defect.

130,500 on the odometer. Worst towing is my fat butt and a jetski trailer so no real heavy service here.

Scrap my question about the TRD supercharger, I think if the engine is this fragile on its own, I ain't about to go boosting. I just want the most stout head gasket and trouble free engine possible. Anybody know the answers to my original post please help me here - I'm in a shutdown at the oil refinery I work in and I need to maximize the amount of time I take off to work this out.

If there's any other trouble spots to look into please add that to my list - so far landtank's rebuild is my best reference but I really don't plan on a radiator job, just solid work in the head or very close proximity to get me back on the road.

Be sure to get the head gasket set from CDan!!!!!!! He has seen some gasekets get damage in shipping and will make sure you get one that is ok and arrives to you ok. Off line Dan and myself have talked and are concerned that the grey slug looks alot like the gasket material itself. My gasket looks terrible and some might remember I tore it off without having a problem :eek:. Some of what I did was a waste, for example: the alterator contacts had more than half their life left. However the PS pump O-rings where hard and cracked if you flexed them. I'll put something up on the other thread when I'm totally done.

The Supra MK3 guys have the same problem with their head gaskets. Some are retorquing their head bolts to a slightly higher spec--in hopes of adding a little more durability or life. Any cruiser guys do that? Thoughts?

Well, I decided to step back and work this out at a better pace than the rush job that work wanted to get me back there. I decided to buy a second rig to run until I can get time to fix this thing.

This will also free up the LC so I can stuff the factory lockers in it and not have to rush that job either. 'Bout fricking time already - they been sittin' in the garage for at least 6 months :slap:

Found a '86 Toy 4x4 P/U 22RE 5 speed with a factory turbo, so that will be in the driveway this week unless somebody has any good information as to staying away from the factory turbo.

Still want to know the answers to my original questions - anybody?

LINUS,

>> Is the improved factory gasket like landtanks standard
>> now, or is it a special part# to get one?

Yes, I think so. C-Dan will know for sure.

>> Was there a problem with head gaskets since it seems
>> like a lot of people with '95-'97's are doing 'em ?

Nobody knows for sure. The best source(s) for information is(are) right here on this forum. We know that overheating greatly increases the incidence of HG failure. We know that a lot of 97's are failing but there are also a lot of pre-OBD-II failures (just ask LARS.)

>> Any specialized gasket to use since future upgrades
>> might include a TRD supercharger?

AFAIK, the OEM head gasket is the only one available.

>> Anything else to do while I'm in this far with the head off?

Rick (landtank) asked the same question and got several responses. See the prior thread.

>> Is the timing chain slipper prone to failure, or was the
>> one on Slee's site a fluke?

Later models got a revised part and no problems have been reported. C-Dan's '93 with approx 130k miles looked good but he replaced it with the new part to be on the safe side.

-B-

[quote author=LINUS link=board=2;threadid=13464;start=msg124591#msg124591 date=1079851805]
Is the timing chain slipper prone to failure, or was the one on Slee's site a fluke?

[/quote]

First off, I would do a leak down test to determine the health of the rest of the motor not just the head gasket.

I dont know if the timing chain slipper(damper) is prone to failure or not. Mine failed. When I pulled off my valve cover I discovered the damper was broken. The factory has changed the design which says something to me. It's an ugly job to replace it.

I'm pretty sure that if I had it (head gasket and chain slipper) to do over again I would be well on my way into a GM V8 swap instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom