HDJ81 Won't Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I needed the Tundra so the wife took the Cruiser (1990 HDJ81) to work. She went to start it at the end of the day and nothing. Somebody from work tried to jump it for her still nothing. I went to trouble shoot it the next day.
Checked the fuses all fine.
Checked the starter relay as per FSM and it was fine.
Checked the 12-24V converter and it was fine.
I pulled the starter out and bench tested the solenoid as per the FSM it checks out fine.
With the key in the ON position I get no voltage at the field wire to the starter and 12 V to the Power wire at the starter.
With the key in the Start position I get 24V (I believe it may have been 12V) to the field wire and 24V to the power wire.
Still wont start
I got a 12/24V power source from work and if i apply voltage to the field wire on the starter when it is installed the truck will turn over.
After a few times looking at the dash I noticed that the Hand Brake light is on. I don't ever remember seeing that on before with the key in the ON position. Not sure if it is related to my not starting problem but I figured I'd mention it.
I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out.
Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Have you checked the 3? fusible links on the positive cable?

Park Neutral switch?

I recently found the solution to a very similar problem in mine (had been going on since about March). I finally found that there was resistance in the wire that goes from the battery to terminal B on the Starter Relay. The resistance was such that when a voltmeter was applied to Terminal B it read almost 12V in the ON position and almost 24V in the START position. However, negligible current could pass through and the starter solenoid wouldn't engage. I solved the problem by running a new fused wire from the battery to Terminal B.

Are your Boost and Overboost lights on as well as the brake light? I found that when I disconnected the original wire that went to the starter relay, all of the dash lights came on. When I reconnected the wire to the battery, the lights went out even though that wire doesn't connect all of the way through to the relay anymore.

Attachments

• 1HD-T Starting System Wiring.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom