HDJ81 Towing Underwhelming... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i tow 3.5 metric tonnes often in mine. over 4 tonnes in low box. although one of the reasons i chose a manual is that i thought it would be a better towing machine..

Are you towing with the transmission in "D" or "3"?

If you're not in "D" the TC is not locked at any speed, causing lots of heat.

Really? I switch between gears a bit...maybe this is it? If you are driving in D, then switch to 3 say at 90kph...this will unlock it?

Yes, unless you have the extreme valvebody upgrade that allows the tc to be locked in 3rd as well.
I understand you will need to shift to 3rd(or 2nd) for steep passes, other than that try to keep it in D and above 65ish km/h, this is when the tc is locked and it will run cooler.
I have a tranny temp guage, so its preety easy to tell whats going on in there. You'd be surprised how quick the temps climb when pushing hard in 3rd!
However, I do not have an aux cooler yet. Good luck and be careful with those temps! $$$$ to fix!

Are you towing with the transmission in "D" or "3"?

If you're not in "D" the TC is not locked at any speed, causing lots of heat.

In my knowledge over 80km/h the TC it's locked .. that's in my case in 3rd ( no OD ) so it means to me around 2200 rpm .. I just keep that ini mind when I switch to OD .. keep the rpm over that line .. to keep the TC locked ..

Anycase my tranny temps in city driving are from 130°F to 160°F AC off .. if I go to AC on usually I'm on 160°F to 190°F range .. ( I'm running 315 stock gears )

In the HW keeping 100 - 120km/h im ( AC off ) on the 190°F range .. if I go with AC my tranny more to 200 - 220°F range ... combines flat an few little hills .. ( nothing really importante ).

If I need to get a step hill I swith to OD off inmediatelly and if is necesary to 2nd ..

have a look at those charts showing the lift expectancy of ATF for various temperatures.... falls dramatically when you get to the high side... sobering...

Tapage, do you have an OD button on the shifter? Our 90-92 jdm's do not. I believe they changed to electronically controlled in late 92, so they may have an OD button... not sure though, never seen one.

My '93 JDM HDJ81 has an OD button, my buddy's 91 does not.

I really didn't know that! You learn something new everyday.

Last edited:
My '93 JDM HDJ81 has an OD button, my buddy's 91 does not.

I really didn't know that! You learn something new everyday.

Something I filed away for future reference:

August of the year 1992. That is when some major changes occured in the tranny control dept.
Everything before that date is pure Hydraulic and cable speedo like the set up in the FJ80s. After 92/08 A442F gets Electronic control- ECT computer, TPS on injection pump, push button OD, electronic speedo etc.... which is what you really need if you are swapping a 97.
As far as the 1HD-T engine is concerned not much changes... the oil level sensor in the pan is all that comes to mind.

Good luck

Tapage, do you have an OD button on the shifter? Our 90-92 jdm's do not. I believe they changed to electronically controlled in late 92, so they may have an OD button... not sure though, never seen one.

yes .. take a look

double-ac-tank.jpg

Thanks Tapage, that's what I thought you were speaking of. So is it the ECT that allows the TC to be locked in 3rd above 80km/h as you referred to earlier?

Can someone confirm the TC is not locked in "3" at any speed on the fully hydraulic transmission. I'm sure I have read that elsewhere, just want to make sure I'm not passing bad info...

Thanks

Old post but thought I could add some facts. I have a HDJ81 built in 1992, September (09 month)

I have the A442 transmission - electronically controlled via solenoids (4 of them) inside the trans pan. The solenoids, using a binary (on/off) system, control 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th (OD) gears, as well as shift timing and lockup. Lockup only happens in 4th gear around 60-70 KM/hour. The OD button is on my shifter.

I too have had the A/T TEMP light come on during some mountain passes, with the stock trans cooler setup. I quickly had a reputable shop put in an aftermarket trans cooler, and still receive the AT temp light warning a couple times, but truthfully I should have been in 4-low for what I was doing instead of 4-high.

With my (92 build month 09) HDJ81 I also get some other goodies that 92 and below don't have, such as larger disc brakes, bigger rims (16 inch), 3rd break light, Cruise control, oil level sensor and ABS.

Funny fact, Tapage, you have a Rear Cool button... in that space I have a Rear Heat button! :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom