HDJ81 Air Filter vs. FJ80 Air Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not exactly what you're asking, but FYI:

17801-68030 = paper disposable air filter
17801-61030 = washable/reusable

This is the only different, IIRC.

The 60, 70 and 80 series all use the same filter. But some are washable and some are US spec. ;)

Dan

I had very limited success with washable elements, not convinced it's worth the effort
I agree, its not worth my time to wash filter elements. Paper filters are cheap and readily available. I run a Baldwin PA2042 in my HDJ81 and BJ74.

I wouldn't use anything but paper throw away elements. Paper have been shown to be the most free flowing although I haven't seen any tests specifically on Toyota's washable filters.
Every time you put a new paper filter on ,you know its 100% clean.

Just received 66030 from toyota. Looks like someone pinched the original from the Japan dealer or ports.

No washable instructions but I'll use compressed air. I believe its the same as 68030.

20190218_122630.jpg

it doesn’t say how long the filter is good for even though it’s washable. And the instructions are to only gently rinse with water.

I have both washable and paper and I’m starting to think it’s time to look for alternatives.

Is there any high flow ones out there K & N or others?

On another 4x4 forum I was on (no longer exists), a filtration engineer did a fully tested comparison of a bunch of filter elements.
Basically, all aftermarket either restrict flow, or let dangerously large particles through (dangerous to engine internals)
Basically OEM Toyota, or Donaldson filters were about the only ones he recommended (and some other OEM stuff)

K&N was among the worst in terms of letting dust the size of sandpaper grit through the element.
If you value your engine, cross K&N off your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom