HDJ80 smoking (white) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still trying to figure the smoke from my 1HD-T. I'm burning a liter of oil every 500K. Lots of smoke. It doesn't look blue but must be. Its got to be the carbon seal in the turbo. Getting poor power and gas mileage is up and down.

Is it easy to pull the turbo to get it to a rebuilt shop?

I'm going to replace the rod bearings at the same time. Is there anything I should know when changing the bearing. Is it easy as everyone says?

Thanks,

Peter

I doubt it's a turbo seal.
Turbo seals on a diesel leak to the inside, they let more air and exhaust into the centre bearing housing which goes out the drain to the crank-case. For a turbo seal to leak that much the bearings would have to be shot and you'll be running oil straight through your intake manifold.

Have you done a compression check? What are the valve seals like?

Are the pump/timing gear alignment marks aligned?
Its the 1st place I would look before tearing things down.
They are on the pump to timing housing flange.

Hey Warrior737 my HJ61 is doing the same thing. White on start up and fine when it warms up (which isn't often here). I was leaking alot of oil from my crankshft seal, replaced it, now it leaks again but only when I don't let It warm up enough. I think the seals are just shrinking too much in these temps. The Dash 7's at Tindi have the same problem with the prop seals. Should get together sometime.:beer:

Just moved down to the Island a year ago.

Worked for First Air for over ten years Lived in the territories for more than 22 years.

I bought the cruiser from the owner of Sushi North.

I've seen turbo seals leak that much on both Toyota and Ford turbos. I recommend you follow the easy cheap method before diving into the harder expensive things. Pull the intake pipe from the turbo to the the intake and inspect if for oil. If it is coated in oil, then you know your next step. If not, then as Dougal says, check out your valve seals and piston oil rings for wear.

If you know how to read smoke signals you can narrow down the cause without spending a lot of money. Oil burning from leaking valve seals is characterized by oil smoke at start-up and oil smoke on idle or when you rev up right after idling. It clears up at higher RPMs. Bad oil rings are characheterized by oil smoke with the engine under load.

Is it true that if the turbo is leaking and dumping oil into the intake that this will lower the compression for all pistons.

I'm going to get an adapter today for my compression testor(for the glow plug hole)

As soon as I get my pickup running well, I will delve into the cruiser.

thanks,

Peter

Is it true that if the turbo is leaking and dumping oil into the intake that this will lower the compression for all pistons.

If the turbo is leaking oil into the intake it will not lower your compression. All this does is add fuel to the combustin chamber - motor oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom