Light grey smoke under hard acceleration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys, my 2lt has always been underpowered and weird. I was bored on the way home from work today and floored the truck at around 2300RPM. As usual it accelerated slowly up, as the boost slowly shot up past 8psi I noticed a massive grey cloud of smoke as if I veered into the bike lane and kicked a bunch of dust up. I did it again, right when the boost goes up past 8-9psi I get a bunch of grey/white smoke.

I've always assumed it would be black if I'm over fueling.

I have my pump advanced pretty much up to the intake manifold, but it gets quiet the higher I rev like there's not enough advance.
PXL_20240309_203337565.jpg
PXL_20240309_201253407.jpg

Also I will add

It will blow black smoke if you rev it in neutral

Looks appropriately filthy to me! Seen plenty diesels do that when they floor it on the hwy.
How is fuel consumption?

Also I will add

It will blow black smoke if you rev it in neutral

This is normal. You need a shot of fuel as it comes off idle to produce heat and EMP to drive the turbo to get it to spool. Until it spools, you have a rich air : fuel ratio.

A puff of dark smoke for a few seconds when you jab the throttle like that is normal. If it stays smokey like that after the turbo had spooled, you may be overfueled

Possible there is an issue with the dynamic advance if as you say it gets quieter at higher revs. retarded timing also give grey white smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom