HDJ80 question for those in the know (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, a good friend of mine has passed away and his sons have offered me his HDJ80 at what I believe is a good price (13000E). It has been pretty well kitted out with guards and steps, roof rack, tent etc. Two years ago it as reworded underneath and resorayed with Raptor all over. My concern is that it has 235000 miles on the clock and due to my friend not being around to ask, I have no idea of service history. My questions are: Is that a good price? Secondly is the mileage a concern? Lastly, considering I have no service history, what work should I be looking at immediately to make sure she keeps on going? Thanks for any advice!

741F3FAD-8CD7-4510-9126-1955F068C59E.jpeg

BC66A8D0-DBE7-424E-8970-66A1A5F6B8DE.jpeg

6E98BC01-8F4C-48B9-AE32-EB0477EEF6C5.jpeg

Well you need to ask yourself the big question are you able to fix yourself or pay someone to do the work. Do you have access to the parts?
this older vehicle will require some work time to time But mileage I wouldn’t be too concerned. Price in euro seems about right which is in line with usd

Well you need to ask yourself the big question are you able to fix yourself or pay someone to do the work. Do you have access to the parts?
this older vehicle will require some work time to time But mileage I wouldn’t be too concerned. Price in euro seems about right which is in line with usd
Thanks for replying, I’m fairly mechanically minded but not a mechanic, parts are pretty easy to find in France where I live. I’ve heard that the injectors need replacing on these vehicles as do the big end bearings as if they go wrong the engine goes pop, do you have any experience of this? As far as the bodywork goes it’s in top shape!

The big end bearing issue was subject of a factory recall, at least here in Australia. So Toyota France may have a record of that car having had the work done.

Regardless, if the BEBs haven't let go by 235,000 miles they aren't likely to fail any time soon.

Change the timing belt, tensioner, and pulley assembly.
Service interval is 100k km, or 60k miles, so it's likely to be due for replacement, and a failure is catastrophic to the engine.

BEB I'd be slightly less concerned about, but you can have a used oil sample analysed to see if there's any bearing metal in it.

Or drop the sump, and remove conrod caps and replace the bearings.

If it's running well, and running clean, injectors may be OK. I'd put them low on the list unless you suspect they are no good.
They can be rebuilt with new denso nozzles etc. Take them to a shop that can set the two stage nozzle. They aren't super common.

If its really good in body, I mean no rust etc, than for the EU market this is a good price.
Most of these cars have 3-4-500k on the odometer by now, so if the km is real, that also adds to the value.
However, the rapter coating in case of trying to sell it usually makes it less desirable for buyers.

Problem areas: BEBs, injection pump, injectors (but could just be a seal issue), timing belt, turbo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom