Has anyone used the Grom Vlite VT2 CarPlay/Android auto only unit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah, sorry, I have an lx470, so the screen is older. I think it has something to do with some sort of digital to analog video conversion. It comes and goes in severity and seems to affect the OEM screen also. I hijacked this thread because there just isn't much chatter on the 100 series forum.

Wanted to add to this thread. I've got an 2014 LX. I opted for the minimalist vl2 lite. All I wanted is android auto. It's smaller than the full vl2, has less connections, and less problems. It works great. Zero issues with it. Purchased during this years black friday sale. It just works. Using an S22 Ultra. It auto connects when I hop in the car. AA launches on its own via wireless connection. Calls work. Texts work. Voice commands work.

Wanted to add to this thread. I've got an 2014 LX. I opted for the minimalist vl2 lite. All I wanted is android auto. It's smaller than the full vl2, has less connections, and less problems. It works great. Zero issues with it. Purchased during this years black friday sale. It just works. Using an S22 Ultra. It auto connects when I hop in the car. AA launches on its own via wireless connection. Calls work. Texts work. Voice commands work.
Does front camera work? Mine doesnt. Not even on CD or FM, etc. Everything else is good other than the slight loss of audio fidelity.

Does front camera work? Mine doesnt. Not even on CD or FM, etc. Everything else is good other than the slight loss of audio fidelity.
Yep. No issues with the cameras engaging manually or automatically during backup. You have the lite or the full vline?

Correct. Different vline part as well, according to their site, vs mine.
I chalked it up to the goofy safety limitations from my model year. The 2010 doesn't have speed/parking brake bypass options for the DVD player either unlike some other model years. Not that I would do that!

Anyone have a success story and overall happy with their purchase?

I Installed the vLite 2 a couple weeks ago. 2009 LC with the Gen 5 Navi. I'm a iPhone user and Carplay works great both wired and wireless. Have a few cars with wireless I actually prefer wired so it doesn't auto connect when I don't want it to, but I may re-enable for those short trips. I did use wireless initially and it worked without issue.

Pros of the Grom solution is its just 1 box, the vlite is smaller that the full vline, (I didnt really want or need a full Android solution), and uses the digital CD Changer emulation input, vs analog aux input I believe some other products use. I installed the optional GPS as Grom recommends and that was simple and easy. The hardest part of the whole install was deciding where to put the box, It ended up under the passenger seat and the cables just made it without any extra. I also installed an aftermarket AUX / USB cable to keep the factory aux, add usb, in the factory location.

My only rub with it is it does not return to the audio screen automatically after reverse. It has the toggles on the unit to do so, but I've tried every combo. Grom sent me an updated firmware to try out but no dice. Might be a limitation of the Toyota Gen5 system. No big deal, I just hit the audio button for the screen to change. It doesn't interrupt any audio or connection. Grom support was helpful, expect about a 1 day turn around when / if you contact them.

I put a video on my channel of the install, which is more centered around the install and disassembly of the dash, but check if out if you like. Might be helpful for those who are weary of tearing into your nice LC dash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom