Has anyone used the Grom Vlite VT2 CarPlay/Android auto only unit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to be clear, all factory options still work after install, right? I can still get to the factory screen and press BT and use Bluetooth from my phone straight to the car without going through the Vlite module? Can I still adjust factory stereo settings with the factory settings screen?

Grom's website alludes to this, but I've read different things that contradict that.

Last edited:
I am thinking of buying the VLite2 for my 2013. How do you toggle between CarPlay and the OEM screens? Mode button on the steering wheel?

I am thinking of buying the VLite2 for my 2013. How do you toggle between CarPlay and the OEM screens? Mode button on the steering wheel?
You can use the mode button on the steering wheel, or the menus within the VLite 2 screen. From the v-light to apps you choose exit, which takes you to The V-Lite home menu. From there you choose car settings to fully exit to other modes.

Overall I'm glad I got it but it is not without its quirks. Sound quality is not as good as using Bluetooth directly to the car. I'm afraid the DAC they use in the VLite module just isn't a high-end DAC. If I want Fidelity I use Bluetooth directly to the car. For navigating on trips the sound is good enough. Most family members wouldn't know the difference.

Additionally, the slow speed front and side cameras will not work for me whether I'm using the V-Lite input or any other car input.

You can use the mode button on the steering wheel, or the menus within the VLite 2 screen. From the v-light to apps you choose exit, which takes you to The V-Lite home menu. From there you choose car settings to fully exit to other modes.

Overall I'm glad I got it but it is not without its quirks. Sound quality is not as good as using Bluetooth directly to the car. I'm afraid the DAC they use in the VLite module just isn't a high-end DAC. If I want Fidelity I use Bluetooth directly to the car. For navigating on trips the sound is good enough. Most family members wouldn't know the difference.

Additionally, the slow speed front and side cameras will not work for me whether I'm using the V-Lite input or any other car input.
Thanks,. I was wondering about audio quality. The VLine specifically states it is high quality audio, the VLite does not. Wonder if there is a real difference

Thanks,. I was wondering about audio quality. The VLine specifically states it is high quality audio, the VLite does not. Wonder if there is a real difference
I suppose they could be using a different DAC for each unit, but I'd be surprised. The LX570 audio system is simply good enough to hear the difference between the factory Bluetooth and the V-Lite input. It might be more difficult in other vehicles.

I can chime in on both models having used both...

I have a 2011 LX570 and here is what worked and did not with both models

- Wireless carplay and wired carplay are more responsive on the VLITE
- Audio quality was horrible on the VLITE, did immense troubleshooting and GROM could not figure it out
- Front and side cameras did not work on VLINE or VLITE unless you change to FM/AM

Grom VLINE still suffers from intermittent wireless carplay issues and random carplay disconnects, both sound horrible when making a phonecall via the hands free mic

I can say that GROM has great customer service but to this day I still have issues with my VLINE that I am putting up with. Sometimes I just want to go back to stock.

Adding to this thread to share my experience today with Grom. I went directly to their shop in Plano and they removed the NaviPlus that was in the truck (I had issues with it disconnecting/reconnecting along with terrible mic quality from their secondary microphone)

I had the VLite installed and upon demonstration I was immediately annoyed that Grom’s system does not support swiping. I tried charging my phone with the factory USB port and in doing so it disconnected my phone from the grom. Basically I didn’t even make it out of the parking lot without having issues with my phone connecting to it and the system just flat out not loading the CarPlay interface. I decided I wasn’t going to deal with it and walked right back inside and asked them to remove it. They were happy to oblige and refund me for the box.

I know some folks around here could care less about CarPlay/AA but having had it on my vehicles for the past 6 years it’s now a minor inconvenience not having it. The one thing I can say is the folks at Grom were at least friendly enough to do whatever I asked and not be pushy about leaving the unit in or not refunding me.

Adding to this thread to share my experience today with Grom. I went directly to their shop in Plano and they removed the NaviPlus that was in the truck (I had issues with it disconnecting/reconnecting along with terrible mic quality from their secondary microphone)

I had the VLite installed and upon demonstration I was immediately annoyed that Grom’s system does not support swiping. I tried charging my phone with the factory USB port and in doing so it disconnected my phone from the grom. Basically I didn’t even make it out of the parking lot without having issues with my phone connecting to it and the system just flat out not loading the CarPlay interface. I decided I wasn’t going to deal with it and walked right back inside and asked them to remove it. They were happy to oblige and refund me for the box.

I know some folks around here could care less about CarPlay/AA but having had it on my vehicles for the past 6 years it’s now a minor inconvenience not having it. The one thing I can say is the folks at Grom were at least friendly enough to do whatever I asked and not be pushy about leaving the unit in or not refunding me.
Apparently NAVICS has a new CarPlay system for the LX I was thinking of giving it a go, what year is your 200? Earlier years the screen itself doesnt support swiping

Apparently NAVICS has a new CarPlay system for the LX I was thinking of giving it a go, what year is your 200? Earlier years the screen itself doesnt support swiping
It’s a 2020. The NaviPlus unit that was in here supported swiping no problem and it was easy enough to load by just long pressing the nav button. Unfortunately the Bluetooth issues and no OEM mic let me down.

The Grom I just tried did not support swiping and this is their latest unit. They did say software updates were coming but could not say when. They put me in a loaner car today (Volvo X60) and said it was running their newest software in beta. It sucked to. These aftermarket boxes just aren’t as intuitive as OEM.

Just wondering if the sound quality issues of the VT2 make it sound as bad as an FM transmitter. If that is the case, this might be a no-go for me.

Just wondering if the sound quality issues of the VT2 make it sound as bad as an FM transmitter. If that is the case, this might be a no-go for me.
Probably depends on the FM transmitter. On my system that was the high frequencies only. Even some anomalies playing lossless formats like flac.

So I installed the VLITE 2 VT2 and the audio quality is indeed muffled sounding. I have adjusted the trebel, mids and bass, but I can't get it to sound clear. It just sounds muddy. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep this thing. Anyone else try the VLITE and have success with the sound quality?

So I installed the VLITE 2 VT2 and the audio quality is indeed muffled sounding. I have adjusted the trebel, mids and bass, but I can't get it to sound clear. It just sounds muddy. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep this thing. Anyone else try the VLITE and have success with the sound quality?
I tried a VLite and had it removed immediately. Not for audio quality but due to unstable Bluetooth and general sluggishness when it was connected. Also no swipe gesture for the interface. Hard pass.

I’ve heard the BeatSonic is decent but I have yet to try it. Just ended up getting a Scosche magic mount for my phone. Have it mounted next to the passenger side temperature display.

Last edited:
I tried a VLite and had it removed immediately. Not for audio quality but due to unstable Bluetooth and general sluggishness when it was connected. Also no swipe gesture for the interface. Hard pass.

I’ve heard the BeatSonic is decent but I have yet to try it. Just ended up getting a Scosche magic mount for my phone. Have it mounted right above the passenger side temperature display.
How was the return process with Grom? Was it pretty straightforward?

Yea, they are local to me so they did the install and then removed it free of charge, full refund minus their install labor.
I keep going back and forth on this. It seems like there's some image distortion on the screen during carplay about half the time, even on the OEM nav and phone screens. Strangly, the OEM Settings screen doesn't show any distortion. It makes the screen look like it's malfunctioning. That coupled with the audio is such a bummer. On the other hand, carplay seems to connect fine and I can navigate well enough (I'm coming from Carplay on a BMW where I had to use a knob, no touch). The question is whether this will work reliably down the road. That image distortion just looks bad like it's doing damage to the display somehow.

I keep going back and forth on this. It seems like there's some image distortion on the screen during carplay about half the time, even on the OEM nav and phone screens. Strangly, the OEM Settings screen doesn't show any distortion. It makes the screen look like it's malfunctioning. That coupled with the audio is such a bummer. On the other hand, carplay seems to connect fine and I can navigate well enough (I'm coming from Carplay on a BMW where I had to use a knob, no touch). The question is whether this will work reliably down the road. That image distortion just looks bad like it's doing damage to the display somehow.
I am not sure what distortion you’re referring to. Maybe post a pic? The screen resolution on the 200 is pretty low so if you came from a more recent BMW with a higher res screen that might be what you’re experiencing. Just need to give your eyes some time to adjust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom