Has anyone tried TRD thermostat ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Anyone ? The opening temperature is quite low comparing to stock (160F vs 190F). I'd like mine to run cooler but not sure (hidden disadvantages) to make the switch.

TIA,
Frank.

I have one, they are very spendy ($74.41) and I wouldn't bother with one unless you have a forced-induction motor.

D-

Dan,

My temp. gauge needle is dead horizontal at operating temperature, which is more than half of the safe zone. If others have the same than I wouldn't worry.

Regards,
Frank.

Frank,
I also have one in, but have a SC. My engine runs at about 185F with the 160F thermostat going down a level highway at about 65-70 MPH.
The only disadvantages that I would know of are if you were in a cold climate (and I see you are not) the heater would not make much heat. Also, more importantly, I think engines are designed to run at higher temps than 160F, so there might be longevity problems.
If you do a search here and the SOR stuff you will find discussions on the stock temp gauge and it's rather odd way of working.
Bill

[quote author=Photoman link=board=2;threadid=8311;start=msg70305#msg70305 date=1070405534]
Frank,
<SNIP>
The only disadvantages that I would know of are if you were in a cold climate (and I see you are not) the heater would not make much heat. Also, more importantly, I think engines are designed to run at higher temps than 160F, so there might be longevity problems.
<SNIP>
Bill
[/quote]

Bill,

Exactly what I was thinking of...

Again, Thanks all for your inputs!
Frank.

Christo,

The thermostat in question is actually intended for the 4.7 V8 and it just so happens that it will also go into a 1FZ.

Agreed, there is more to it than the temperature at which the thermostat opens.

D-

I know that the 4.7 V8 s/c kit comes with a lower temperature thermostat and the directions specifically say that you have to change it.

Amando

also if I'm correct(and I know it fits every other Cruiser made) you can use a 2f 180 deg T-stat in the fzj, t-stat would be for a early 2F motor. Part number is 90916-03014, $20.

won't sware it fits the 93-97 but I think it does.

John H

06Dec2003 (UTC -8)

[quote author=i4c4lo link=board=2;threadid=8311;start=msg70577#msg70577 date=1070451260]
I know that the 4.7 V8 s/c kit comes with a lower temperature thermostat and the directions specifically say that you have to change it.

[/quote]

What?! Doggone it. I just bought one off EBay a couple of hours ago. $46 + shipping. What else did it come with, colder spark plugs? (I think the Tundra package did.)

FWIW, I have a 93 LC with TRD SC that I use to tow a 5,000 lb enclosed Featherlite trailer and classic car and have had no trouble with overheating with stock thermo. Needle remains horizontal even in summer towing up grade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom