Has anyone replaced their fuel lines with new OEM ones? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clips under the heat shield.
44AA5FC2-D8FB-4CC3-80D9-091633831894.jpeg

Clips at rear body cross member support.
7257082A-BE77-43BF-B33F-E3582215B8E6.jpeg
6E9508B2-2C62-4CC5-9060-89D0B0DF9DDC.jpeg

Offending fuel line trio assembly.
5D2481F3-B1E6-482C-9328-FCA0B29F6099.jpeg

Sorry about all the individual post, but I can’t really really see what I’m posting with my iPad if I select full-size image.

I already posted pics of the box containing the new fuel lines in my resurrection thread, but I’ll post them here as well to help out anyone in the future.

C8DFEB9B-5AE5-4E35-8B42-185AEAFFD716.jpeg
AF30A83D-0B64-4FFA-8DD3-C042850CC392.jpeg
7F304076-F76B-40A7-BCAA-2EAB4B36EE31.jpeg
53CC39D7-BA3D-4932-BE59-7186C316C8AE.jpeg

As difficult as this was, it really wasn’t that bad other that having to work on your back under the truck in a cold open garage when ambient temps weren’t more than 13C and as low as 0C to 2C out in the mornings. I’ve been putting it off as I worked on restoring my DS front fender, but as temps dropped, it was just too cold outside any longer to paint my fender, so I was kinda forced into delving into this dreaded mess.

I will say that the attention to detail regarding all the rubber protection on the fuel lines in various spots as well as the qty of retaining clips (I think 8 in total), plus the spacer clips is another testimony to the superb build quality of the Land Cruisers. You would not see this kind of attention to detail on anything coming out of NA. Most likely only the MB G-Wagon would be an an appropriate comparison in terms of attention to detail on this scale.

All the detailed posts with accurate verbiage and multiple visual aides is a great thing. Most tech threads ail on both accounts.

I don’t envy you guys who have to deal with a high degree of corrosion. My 93 was sold and lived it’s first 23 years in the high desert of Oregon where it rains very little and they don’t use salt on roads during winter. Replacing a steel tube of any sort has never even crossed my mind. Heck, most bolt threads retain the original plating.

Your can do attitude and head first approach is appreciated here because IH8RUST and just reading this makes me cringe.

Haha! Thanks. Much appreciated. You don’t know how many times I’ve said to myself why don’t I live somewhere where I would not have to deal with rust, but it is what it is. Back in the late 70s’ my parents purchased a lot in Lake Havasu, AZ. It was my dad’s idea as he hated the cold Canadian winters after emigrating from Croatia. He couldn’t wait, but my mom got cold feet, and ultimately they divorced and he never did move, but I always wonder what my life would have been like if we had.

Heading to the dealership this morning to order all the bits and pieces, including these items for the tank. Thanks again to @GWNugget. Will also get more glass bead media to blast the underside as well as paint supplies. Oh brother...

9D2C6277-5158-43CE-A0B3-211B90B12AA0.jpeg

Ordered a couple of items from the dealer yesterday. Didn’t order any of the brackets except the one that was rusted to the floor. Prices seemed high (CAN$18-$22/ bracket - that is just the steel part!) and there like 8 of them. The crimped fuel supply hose fitting with the banjo fitting was listed at CAN$219 so I didn’t order it either. Had a closer look at the mess this morning and removed all the steel clips. A couple were pretty badly corroded, plus the nut on the banjo fitting was really badly corroded to the nut on the fuel line. I doubt that I’ll be able to separate them without damaging something. So, having just read a post the other day here on mid that mentioned megazip.net, I went ahead and ordered a couple of the steel brackets and the crimped banjo fitting. All these items were not available on partsouq.com.

EA69C1C9-21B3-440E-B357-DFB645628506.jpeg

Surprisingly, I got the threaded fitting off the fuel line that was on the end of the banjo fitting. Used my 19 mm tube wrench and some heat after letting it soak all morning with some PB Blaster. First time I used them after buying the set a few years ago.

7C26ADDC-D304-46AE-9C16-075D6180CCE1.jpeg

Managed to get all the new fuel lines assembled together. What a freaking mess. The new tubes were bent mostly in the wrong directions at critical bends. They are going to get scratched to $hit going back in, and already have several scratches. The coating is paper thin. Will probably wrap them in paper something to give them some degree of protection.

F99ECDE5-1367-4AC6-8E1C-8F0828D375DD.jpeg
9AD426BF-697F-4302-BDEE-32DD1BF4A73F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom