Has anyone ever replaced 70 series rocker panels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI all,

Just having a tough time getting the front of the panel off, already have the thing looking like swiss cheeze. Are there a couple extra spot welds inside the cab by the clutch peddle?
Thanks for any help.
Cheers,
Deny

I'm pretty sure I had the whole thing ripped apart when I did it. Do you have the fender off, 'cause that was necessary. I did have my clutch peddle out to make more room, but I can't remember why

Yeah, the whole thing is in peices, frame is on the ground and the body is on blocks. I will keep drilling I guess, hopefully one of the drills will let the thing come free. will post pics tommorow.
Cheers,

I look forward to the pics. I have a new rocker for my 70 that's been on the shelf for a year waiting for me to have time to get to it.

On the bright side, I figger the longer I wait, the less there is of the old rocker to remove...:lol:

I cut mine out right next to the seam to get all the ust and the hole out and then welded back a plate and grinded smooth, covered it with bed-liner in a can...looks great!

Here are a few quick pics. The first is the back end of the door, I needed to drill one more weld and then that part came off. The 2nd pic is the front, I have a bunch of holes drilled alread, and it seems loose, but something is holding it, I am guessing some welds from the back side. I will check it out some more but the spot welds are a little tough to tell, especially with a little surface rust on it. Anyway, will post up if I get it. If someone sees this and remembers how many spot welds and where, please let me know so I really don't turn my truck into a sieve.
Cheers,
Deny
Picture 076.jpg
Picture 077.jpg

Well last night I did some more choping and found the bottom part of the rocker where the front fender bolts through was also holding it down, but still something up top. I think there is one spot weld in behind where the screwdriver is pointing, and was tough drilling, will take some more time with a smaller drill bit later, if not will notch that section out with the grinder.
Picture 078.jpg

Well here is the final verdict:
Apparently when they put this (I don't know about other 70 series too) truck together, they spot weld the rockers on before the rest of the tub. I drilled the one spot weld by the clutch peddle, and it still wouldn't come. I hammered on it for a bit and the last s. weld let go. The last weld was impossible to get to (seen in the pic with the long screw). The short screw shows the second to last spot weld I drilled out just at the base of the floor.
Anyway, hope this helps anyone trying this in the future.
Cheers,
Deny
Picture 080.jpg

well done Deny. Now I can look back at this when I do it again :)

Yes, I was wondering when you were going to takle the MINE TRUCK, the last pic I saw was it on the trailer, good work.

nice,
i am starting on another mine truck refurbishing in about 2 months. i picked up the 2002 yesterday.
you do all the preliminary work and that will make it easier for me.

do you have a thread up yet? if so what is the link?
nice work buddy.
cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom