Has anyone actually found seats that bolt right in?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I did a search on this forum and found a lot of opinions on seats. Several e-mails said, "I heard volvo seats bolt right in" I did not find one where someone had actually said they had done this.

I am looking for a seat that is bolt right in with experiance by someone who has done it. If you have tried a seat other than volvo that bolts right in, please post it here.

I am comparing that against the baja seats with the adapter brackets

also, can anyone say if the baja seat brackets bolt to the original toyota brackets, or do they go all the way to the floor?

The volvo seats do not bolt right in, but they are DAMN close if you have the factory buckets. I think just some drilling for bolt holes. You can use those brackets with the volvos.

I run them in mine, but had to have a friend make some brackets for me, as I run a 67.

Volvo 740 seats bolted right in my 74. The difference in bolt holes was so small they fit with a little aligning. I might have had to loosen a couple mounts to get everything to line up before tightening them down. 20 minutes to get the old seats out and the new ones in.
Nice bolsters, high backs, leather, manual adjustements and heated. :D

Can't figure out why my Volvo 740 seats were a chore to fit. Basically they were an inch different in width and they sat too high once I got them in; had to lower them so I could see. BUT they are the nicest chairs in my "fleet" and a couple of hours of monkeying was way worth it.

Hyundai Excel seats are pretty much a direct bolt in - got 'em in my 82. And they actually are pretty comfortable!

I've too have been looking to replace the stock seats in my '76 FJ 40, and have been doing a bit of research. Last week I went and talked with a guy that does custom seats for hot rods and van conversions and has a lot of used stock seats for sale. He looked at my Cruiser and pretty much said no way. He told me that almost all bucket seats are 21 inches wide with the tracks mounted underneath (approx. 18" o.c. by my observations). Cruiser seat tracks are 21" o.c. and mount to the bottom and outside of the seat. In addition, he said that almost all standard bucket seats have 2" more padding than the cruiser seats, which means that you have to figure out a way to lower them by that amount. If I didn't my head would hit the roof. I think I've figured a way to do that by welding a couple of steel bars onto the pedestal under the drivers seat and then attaching salvaged tracks to them.
I guess the other way to go would be to buy seats from Man-A-Fre or some other outfit that sells seats just for Land Cruisers. The trouble with that is the expense. The Elite Procar seats in the Man-A-Fre catalogue go for $665 per pair plus $170 for a pair of mounting brackets. For all that money they don't even have lumbar support. I too would love to see exactly how people have put in Volvo or other seats into their rigs. Does anyone have pictures they can put up?

[quote author=Gumby link=board=1;threadid=6900;start=msg56951#msg56951 date=1067529947]
They are pretty high, but pretty much everything is with stock mounts. You can lower the 740 seats using one of the 12 way ajustment levers. I wnat to say you have to lower the front with one and the back with a different one.
[/quote]

I think maybe mine are an older vintage because I think I only have 1 lever for adjusting the seat (along with the lumbar and tilt knobs). I haven't been driving it since my oldest progeny torqued the windshield with a tree branch and fractured the glass to kingdom come. But I'll sit in it tonight and go VROOM and look for more adjustments. :D

I found some nice BMW seats at a Junk yard today. Still looking for volvo's that aren't crap.

Anyone have any luck with BMW seats?

[quote author=cruise4070 link=board=1;threadid=6900;start=msg57004#msg57004 date=1067537552]
Hyundai Excel seats are pretty much a direct bolt in - got 'em in my 82. And they actually are pretty comfortable!
[/quote]

Pretty much a direct bolt in... what exactly did you have to do? Is the seat mounting in an '82 similar to a '78?

Are the seat rails and driver's Butt height the same on the FJ40 and FJ60?

I like stock, but the driver's side seat on my 60 has the usual damage on the side, and a set of grey, heated leather seats with lumber support would be the real deal. Any help on this? Volvo? Bimmer?

My expedition has seats that can cradle you for an 800 mile ride. Want the same comfort for my old butt in the 'cruiser.

Thanks.

Mike S

[quote author=cruise4070 link=board=1;threadid=6900;start=msg57004#msg57004 date=1067537552]
[/quote]

Me too got these seat and agree with the above.........Dazz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom