Harness Connectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coolerman

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.globalsoftware-inc.com
Starting a general thread for harness connector questions. Post here if you have any questions about harness connectors...

Sender Connector
I searched, cause I know I read this somewhere, just can't find the thread...

The OEM slide on connectors for the oil,temp, fuel senders. You know, the ones that won't stay on?

Can the American version substitute for these? I believe the American version is .250 which is close enough to the 6.3mm of the Toyota style, but the company I found them at has a minimum order of 10 of these and they are not that cheap... Want to be sure before I order them... ;)
IMG_4064.jpg

Coolerman- I ended up taping the S*** out of mine so look forward to the answer to your post. Also wanted to say thanks for your nut & bolt spreadsheet which I've been using alot lately :)

me three...

i have used a big burtha soldering iron and just soldered on the water temp ... the oil pressure seems to be ok for now. i'd like to know a better solution. my 87 2w DD has cups that extend over the clip and keep them in place, something like that would be really good.

This is something I need to have a look, bad end on my temp sender but found a picture on the VDO site.

1/4" spade connector - sound too easy?
Capture.JPG

You can buy the adaptor from summit that will convert it from the metric to the NPT for aftermarket gauges. Since I rebuilt my engine, I just taped them all to the NPT

MCCmetric is a good source for misc metric fittings also, not to mention bolts

Starting a general thread for harness connector questions. Post here if you have any questions about harness connectors...

Sender Connector
I searched, cause I know I read this somewhere, just can't find the thread...

The OEM slide on connectors for the oil,temp, fuel senders. You know, the ones that won't stay on?

Can the American version substitute for these? I believe the American version is .250 which is close enough to the 6.3mm of the Toyota style, but the company I found them at has a minimum order of 10 of these and they are not that cheap... Want to be sure before I order them... ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have a fix for that, but if IIRC, the 2 spade connectors on my 4/75 on the m/c ALSO have those connectors , or very similar.
Scott

You can indeed force a standard 1/4" spade connector onto the OEM senders but once you have done it once, the second time it is loose.

You can pop the terminal out of the OEM housing and bend it back into a tight fit but again it will work it's way loose. It's really not a good design. Should have a threaded connector...

New terminals are the best way to get a tight fit. OR just use a high spring tension alligator clip. ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have a fix for that, but if IIRC, the 2 spade connectors on my 4/75 on the m/c ALSO have those connectors , or very similar.
Scott

On a 2/71 there are five of these slide on connectors:

2 Brake Pressure senders
1 Oil Temp Sender
1 Water Temp Sender
1 Fuel Gauge Sender

So I guess I will order the GM units to see if they fit. If they do I will have some for sale... :D

On a 2/71 there are five of these slide on connectors:

2 Brake Pressure senders
1 Oil Temp Sender
1 Water Temp Sender
1 Fuel Gauge Sender

So I guess I will order the GM units to see if they fit. If they do I will have some for sale... :D

on the brake pressure switches, I used a generic waterproof blade connector that I cut out on one side - works well :hillbilly:

no need for the others in my case, since I did not replace the OEM connectors on those

Update: Forgot to post this but was reminded by someone.

The GM units I ordered will fit but they are not nearly as tight as the OEM. They appeared to be made from a thinner brass and deformed easily. I sent them back... :frown:

Excellent! I just added those .pdf files to my schematics page!

Side Note: I also updated all the 1971 Schematics with the actual wire colors I have found while tearing my harness completely apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom