Hard Top Repair, Drip Rail, Fiberglass. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched, I've read, I've thought about this, but there isn't really a standard answer or a general consensus on how to approach these problems. Granted, not everyone's case is the same. You've probably deduced I'm in a bit of hard top trouble and trying to formulate a plan. I look to you, mud members, for advice, guidance, and your own repair stories and processes.

Here is my situation. Drip rail, GONE. Nothing left to repair. Fiberglass, OK, no cracks or damage. Gel coat is shot. I have a sag in the roof right above the front seats where something heavy was on top of the cruiser for a time. The steel across the windshield is intact, light surface rust but otherwise useable. I have 2 tops that are candidates for replacing the one currently on my truck.

Top #1 - Good drip rail. Gel coat in acceptable condition. No sags or bows, nice factory profile. Windshield attachment rotten. Ugly aftermarket sunroof installed.

Top #2 - Great drip rail. Gel coat has some damage but still useable for a time. Terrible sag in the middle from heavy stuff sitting on it. windshield attachment rotten.

My main concern is getting a top installed with a good drip rail and a new gasket (already have city racer gasket and OEM pieces too). I definitely don't want the sun roof but removing it seems more trouble than it would be worth. Any combination I use it going to require removal of the windshield attachment from my old top and re installing it. This looks to be less than 10 rivets. Is there a source for these particular rivets? I suppose I could get some from aircraft spruce or similar. Any tips or ideas for getting the sag out of the tops? I thought flipping the tops over and setting some lead ingots or similar on the sag and trying to get the top to go back towards its original shape. Not sure if it would stay that way once flipped back over. IM not sure what sets the deformation in fiberglass, heat, time, combination of the two?

20210711_095200.jpg

20210711_095214.jpg

20210711_095227.jpg

20210711_095240.jpg

Can you cut a piece out of the saggy lid, at a place with the proper contour, to use as a patch on the sunroof lid? I filled a hole in my lid with a scrap from a s***ty lid.

It looks like you are all set then! Make the patch slightly oversize and slowly shape it by hand to fit snugly. Get out the epoxy glue and set it in there. After it has cured use glazing putty or bondo to fill the seam. Sand and paint over during the hardtop restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom