Hard Top Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can a 74 cruiser tolerate only a 74 hard top or can I use different year tops with reasonable modifications? Where is a good place to buy a hard top? Thanks...Matt

On a '74 any top from I think '68 to '75 will work. Before '68 would fit (I think) but would not have the correct looks. '75 and on would fit but they are for ambulance doors in the back, would require modifications back there. I would stay within '68 to '75 and you should not have to make any mods, IIRC.
Good luck, post an ad on the wanted section and see if anyone has got one laying around.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=4568;start=msg34461#msg34461 date=1061667956]
On a '74 any top from I think '68 to '75 will work. Before '68 would fit (I think) but would not have the correct looks. '75 and on would fit but they are for ambulance doors in the back, would require modifications back there. I would stay within '68 to '75 and you should not have to make any mods, IIRC.
Good luck, post an ad on the wanted section and see if anyone has got one laying around.
[/quote]

65 and earlier have the corragated top, 63 and earlier have a slightly different top, looks the same but the post behind the door is different.

66-74 is a safe bet

try to find one local or shiping will be a PITA, even if in pieces I would think

John

big thing to watch out for with this is the windshield wipers.

the older style (like a 74) have the wipers on the top of the windshield, while later years have it mounted on the bottom. this is a problem when you try to mount a later model fiberglass top to the older windshield frame.

for one, the bolt holes don't really line up that well, and the wiper arms are in the way of the bracket for attachment.

options for this setup (ie late top with early fj):
1) cut out holes so the bracket will work effectively.
2) switch to bottom mount wipers
3) toss the wipers and motor in the back of the cruiser and rain-x the junk (my favorite :D . worked for 4 months til the top came back off.)

good luck with the hardtop, they are a pita.

jonathan

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=1;threadid=4568;start=msg34522#msg34522 date=1061703240]

good luck with the hardtop, they are a pita.

[/quote]Oh, they're not that bad. If you bribe six of your friends to help lift the heavy bugger.

AFAIK the info John H gave was correct. Most all tops will interchange. Only real issue is with the back doors. Lift gate and swing outs for pre 75 or ambi for post 75. Not a big deal to refit either. I have never seen any difference between the ft valence on any year roof. All will interchange AFAIK. Wipers location should not make any difference.

wipers do make a difference if you're retrofitting. just sayin. :D

yes, wipers do make a difference. the front piece that bolts to the windshield frame is notched to clear the wipers on early frames (wear the wipers are up top), but tin snips or a small grinder will cure that. as for the bolt holes on the w/s frame, it's easy enough to drill new holes in the channel there.

yes it does make a difference i have a 76 on a 71 wipers and bolt holes are not the same but i just found a fiberglass top piece and bolted it right on found a lift hatch in the back of the toyota trails slapped it on----now golden

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom