Hard Starting Issues- 05 LX470 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

New to the forum- figured I'd pose the question here! I was doing a brief search, maybe I'm not navigating properly, so if there is a thread and I'm missing it- I do apologize.

I have an 05 LX470 with 185k. Recently done timing belt, steering column had work done to it, basically, everything serviced and updated recently.

I've been having issues with hard starting. The mechanics cannot seem to find what is causing it. They stated that winter gas could potentially be causing it. It happens like 1/5 of the time, and if I give it a bit of gas when it is starting, it fires right up. That being said, not something I want to make a habit of.

I live in Colorado, and esp during this time of year, it goes from 65 degrees to 35 degrees seemingly every few days. Would winter gas cause this problem? I do notice sometimes when I remove my gas tank cap, it seems some vapor/pressure releases. Maybe need a new cap?

Just trying to figure out if I need to find a new mechanic, potentially give them some ideas of where to hunt, or if it's winter gas and CO weather...

Obviously, tough to diagnose, just trying to figure out if I need to worry about it or not!

Thanks!

Have you replaced your fuel filter yet? I would also throw in some strong fuel injector cleaner. Some have had to replace their fuel pumps too.

Have you replaced your fuel filter yet? I would also throw in some strong fuel injector cleaner. Some have had to replace their fuel pumps too.
So they said the pump was still good, so were the filters. Sounds like maybe run some cleaner through it first, see if that solves it? Then either press them further on the pump/filters or find a new mechanic!

Thanks!

Fuel pump, filter, mass airflow sensor

So I would replace the Fuel filter for sure, then clean the Mass air flow sensor, air intake into the manifold if possible, then get the mechanic to check the fuel pressure of the lines coming in. The mechanic may need a fuel pressure testing kit for this as its not easy to check for Toyo engines. If the fuel pressure is not good.. Then replace the fuel pump. Which should be an okay DIY job as the fuel pump can be accessed from the back seats. There is post on here that show how to change Fuel pump.

If all that dosen't help look at immobilizer info and the fuses you have to check on that. It should not be the case but only if the above stuff does not solve your issue then check into the immobilizer/starter stuff.

Ooh also just thought of this.. how many miles on your car? are you sure its not the starter contacts? I have 170k miles on mine when my starter contacts started going..so my car used to click, click and then start up. Was worse on colder days. So hope thats not your symptoms.

Last edited:
So I would replace the Fuel filter for sure, then clean the Mass air flow sensor, air intake into the manifold if possible, then get the mechanic to check the fuel pressure of the lines coming in. The mechanic may need a fuel pressure testing kit for this as its not easy to check for Toyo engines. If the fuel pressure is not good.. Then replace the fuel pump. Which should be an okay DIY job as the fuel pump can be accessed from the back seats. There is post on here that show how to change Fuel pump.

If all that dosen't help look at immobilizer info and the fuses you have to check on that. It should not be the case but only if the above stuff does not solve your issue then check into the immobilizer/starter stuff.

Ooh also just thought of this.. how many miles on your car? are you sure its not the starter contacts? I have 170k miles on mine when my starter contacts started going..so my car used to click, click and then start up. Was worse on colder days. So hope thats not your symptoms.
Awesome! Okay! I just put some strong fuel injector cleaner in there, mechanic said to run a few tanks of premium through it.

Sounds like the fuel filter is next on the list. Will take a crack at that this weekend. Then the rest.

Should the mass airflow sensor throw a code if it's dirty? Or only if it's completely shot? Just curious, as I didn't get any codes.

So I have 185 on it at the moment. No clicks or anything like that just takes what feels like a bit longer than it should to start up/won't start without a little pressure on the gas pedal. Thing is, it seems to start up perfectly fine/better on cold days...

Appreciate the help/advice! Sounds like I have some nice weekend plans ahead of me.

Awesome! Okay! I just put some strong fuel injector cleaner in there, mechanic said to run a few tanks of premium through it.

Sounds like the fuel filter is next on the list. Will take a crack at that this weekend. Then the rest.

Should the mass airflow sensor throw a code if it's dirty? Or only if it's completely shot? Just curious, as I didn't get any codes.

So I have 185 on it at the moment. No clicks or anything like that just takes what feels like a bit longer than it should to start up/won't start without a little pressure on the gas pedal. Thing is, it seems to start up perfectly fine/better on cold days...

Appreciate the help/advice! Sounds like I have some nice weekend plans ahead of me.

Iirc the 2003 and later had some additional device that help starting the engine. I don't know what's it called but it was to assist in starting the car as well.

--- update ---

On 2003 and newer

• Crank Hold Feature was added. This feature will keep the starter engaged, once the ignition switch is turned to the START position without having to keep the key in the START position.
100 LC changes

Last edited:
Did this issue start IMMEDIATELY after the service that included the timing belt etc?

If so, don't go chasing parts that weren't touched during the service. Zero in on EVERYTHING that was replaced or touched during that service.

Hi. I’m also experiencing hard starting issues on my 2004 LX470 since I got it a year ago. Never happens during cold start. Only happens when the engine is warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom