Hard Shifting Gear box question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The gear box in my Tacoma isn't always shifting as nice as I would like it to, when it's cold. I am thinking if I change the gear oil to a synthetic this will solve my problem. I've got a source for Royal Purple gear oil, for about $8/quart, so I think I will be changing it to this. I think I will change all the gear oil to this, but that close to 8 quarts :eek:

I just bought 4 quarts of the Royal Purple gear oil tonight, and I will try and put it into the gear box and transfer case tomorrow, I'll buy the other 4 quarts for the diffs in a few days. I hope I see a huge difference for the amount of money I am spending.

I doubt that changing the oil will help this. I have heard form MANY Toyota PU owners and I have experienced it that across the years the manual trannies are very difficult to shift when cold. My 92 has this issue and my 96 Taco had this issue when I bought it in 96. As a matter of fact, I complained to the dealer that the shifting was too tight and he said just give it time to wear down...never did. First to second has/was always the worst in weather below 25 degrees F.

I have synthetic in right now and no change.

Jukelemon said:
I doubt that changing the oil will help this. I have heard form MANY Toyota PU owners and I have experienced it that across the years the manual trannies are very difficult to shift when cold. My 92 has this issue and my 96 Taco had this issue when I bought it in 96. As a matter of fact, I complained to the dealer that the shifting was too tight and he said just give it time to wear down...never did. First to second has/was always the worst in weather below 25 degrees F.

I have synthetic in right now and no change.

My First to Second is the worst, but I figure I might as well change all the fluids right now, just so I know I have fresh clean fluids in there.

I can tell a huge difference with the Royal Purple, it shifts so much smoother, but I can hear the gears alot more now. I'll see how the cold weather shifting is tomorrow moring.
I never realized how long it takes to change all the fluids, I spent a little while with the front diff, mostly because I couldn't get the fill/drain plugs out :mad:

Are you sure your old oil was not just, well, old?

Since you already sprang for the Royal Purp this won't help you, but Redline MTL works really well at improving hard shifting and crunchy syncros. We used to run it in our MG's...if it can help those gearboxes it can help any...

Redline is specifically formulated to provide enough friction for the syncros to spool up..not all synthetics are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom