Hard shift when stopped. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1985 Fj62 3F H55F 235K km.

EDIT:
When the clutch is depressed, the transmission is very quiet. While in motion, I have no problem shifting from 3rd to 4th and into 5th. Shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd is a bit hit and miss (it doesn't go in first time).

ORIGINAL POST:
I have a noisy input shaft bearing (probably). I hear a bad bearing only when the clutch is engaged; when the clutch is disengaged (pressed in), the noise goes away.

And I have already replaced the cup bushing on the gear stick (the original had almost no wear and the dowel pins were stiff), and my clutch fluid is full and not leaking.

I do not have any trouble getting out of gear.

When stopped, I have great difficulty shifting into 1st (and is harder to shift when the engine is warm). I try getting it into 2nd, and it’s really hard as well. I try to free it up by putting it in 3rd and 4th (which I can), but it doesn’t help. So the funny thing is, is that when I’m stopped and facing uphill, the transmission shifts into 1st very smoothly, and the shift into 2nd is just a silky. What can be causing this? At first I thought the 1st and 2nd synchro sub assembly was toast, but after gliding into 1st and 2nd when going uphill, I am thinking it’s an alignment issue. Maybe the selector rods or perhaps the input bearing is making the output shaft slop around causing misalignment. But 1st gear is near the back of the case, so the output shaft bearing would need to be the issue if that were the cause, right?

I am going to be taking the gearbox out, so I can get a good look at everything for wear and measure clearances then. Ideas on what to pay particular attention to regarding this issue at this time are welcome. For a bit of fun and to show my appreciation, a AU$100 donation to The Children's Hospital at Westmead will be made in the name of the person who diagnoses the problem correctly.

Last edited:
Apart from the clutch not quite disengaging , I have no other idea's. have you checked the oil level? New synth might help.
If the oil is low, it might be lubricating a part of the box only when uphill. Just a guess.

Last edited:
A bad pilot bearing could result in an alignment issue....especially if its exploded.

The clutch disc hub seems to be not sliding on the splines of the input shaft.
When you stop on a hill, it seems that that angle is just enough the let the clutch disc slide away from the pressure plate— making shifting easy.
Could be a sticking hub- needs some grease on the splines (maybe).

If it shifts easily when the engine is off when you row through the gears but is hard to get into gear with clutch in and you can hear an unpleasant sound constantly when the clutch is pressed in and engine idling — pilot bearing is toast.

When you pull the transmission, you'll find out for sure soon enough

But before you pull it, verify that the clutch is fully disengaging by taking a look at it with engine idling aand clutch fully depressed with clutch inspection cover removed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom