HAM just died...is this common? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out of the blue, my HAM radio stopped working after having it work flawlessly for 8 years. I don't use it all that often, so it's not "worn out." I have not yet checked the in-line fuse, but is this common for radios to die unexpectedly? Sorry I don't have more details, as I have not yet had a chance to dig into it all. Power to the radio will be the first thing I check. Any other insights or trouble shooting ideas are appreciated.

If it is still not working after checking power and unit powers up check condition of your coax and connections.
Get an ohmmeter and check for shorts and opens.
Is your antenna on a swing out or coax routed so a door closes on it?
Coax routed near exhaust?
Coax is surprising easy to damage.

Well, I'm no expert but I expect it'd be the same as many types of electronics like plain receiving radios etc. My experience with all those is that I never experienced an outright crash. Some knobs acting up and all, yes, but no total failure.

As to Ham specifically, I never had a problem and don't know of anybody who has, nor have I read stories of large-scale failures. So my guess, would be that it is indeed uncommon and that if it would fail it would likely be early on. But, of course, there is always the exception.

If it is still not working after checking power and unit powers up check condition of your coax and connections.
Get an ohmmeter and check for shorts and opens.
Is your antenna on a swing out or coax routed so a door closes on it?
Coax routed near exhaust?
Coax is surprising easy to damage.

Thanks for the trouble shooting tips. It is not powering up at all....so that's the first place I will check. Need to get an ohmmeter...as suggested. My antenna is fixed mounted with a Gamaviti hood mount option. No Coax near the exhaust. I am in the middle of a move, so it will be a month or two before I can really dig into this. Thanks everyone for your input.

you're in luck. No power at all is the easiest to diagnose. And just about the only thing a normal DIYer can easily do with electronics.

fuse between battery and unit?

Not much help, but: I did have a Yaesu 1900 fail; IIRC still in the warranty period. Sent it in to have it fixed (no idea what it was, didn't try to find out...), and no more issues in the 6 years since.

Out of the blue, my HAM radio stopped working after having it work flawlessly for 8 years. I don't use it all that often, so it's not "worn out." I have not yet checked the in-line fuse, but is this common for radios to die unexpectedly? Sorry I don't have more details, as I have not yet had a chance to dig into it all. Power to the radio will be the first thing I check. Any other insights or trouble shooting ideas are appreciated.
I would have probably plugged it into a UPS provide electrical protection hi. I can't say for sure you would have to find a ham radio operator who's been in the industry for probably 30 years. But you have to understand that TTL circuitry inside of a ham radio operator or any common consumer electronic device can't take over 20 volts before it Cooks the integrated circuit. If you have a voltmeter open up the case and check the output of the voltage regulator. Get back to us on what the voltages. I used to troubleshoot avionics equipment back in college and usually something like that might be caused by a voltage regulator going out.

I would have probably plugged it into a UPS provide electrical protection hi. I can't say for sure you would have to find a ham radio operator who's been in the industry for probably 30 years. But you have to understand that TTL circuitry inside of a ham radio operator or any common consumer electronic device can't take over 20 volts before it Cooks the integrated circuit. If you have a voltmeter open up the case and check the output of the voltage regulator. Get back to us on what the voltages. I used to troubleshoot avionics equipment back in college and usually something like that might be caused by a voltage regulator going out.
...thanks...all that you suggested is above my pay grade and I have yet to see if the fuse is blown or what the heck is going on. I appreciate everyone's help in trouble shooting and sorry for jumping the gun a couple of months...but I will dig into this in January, hopefully! You all are awesome!

...thanks...all that you suggested is above my pay grade and I have yet to see if the fuse is blown or what the heck is going on. I appreciate everyone's help in trouble shooting and sorry for jumping the gun a couple of months...but I will dig into this in January, hopefully! You all are awesome!
Electronics is cool. If I could ever dig up a copy of that schematic diagram that I used to troubleshoot the Bendix King radio it would just blow me away that actually understood it. Yeah a good voltmeter preferably a fluke you can use it for decades and it's still a great voltmeter.

Check your vacuum tubes. Seriously, yes, most newer radios are software defined radios, and software can go bye bye. I have an Icom 5100 that decided one day it will not receive, only transmit. Sometimes a factory reset or reboot is needed.

I fried a yeasu 1900 Jumpstarting my pickup. I had the radio wired direct to the battery and after the Jumpstart it would sort of power up, but the the screen was just gibberish and all of the buttons were inop. Oops. Also damaged a yeasu 8800 in my cruiser. I have the antenna on the hatch, and when the hatch is open, the antenna touches the roof. I forgot it was open, tried to transmit and it fried something internal. Now it only transmits at low and medium power.. oops

Check your vacuum tubes. Seriously, yes, most newer radios are software defined radios, and software can go bye bye. I have an Icom 5100 that decided one day it will not receive, only transmit. Sometimes a factory reset or reboot is needed.
Software doesn't usually go out and break one morning. That makes no sense. An entry-level 2m radio is unlikely to have much SDR content, if any. Still no make and model for his.

I've been a two-way radio technician for several Motorola shops for nearly 20 years now, and have done lots of bench repair on commercial and ham gear. He can send me a message with his callsign, and I can likely help him out.

It makes sense if you know how software works. Any device can get looped by ladder logic loading, software corruption is very common, a line clock missing by milliseconds due to voltage irregularities will change the power on ROM sequence, or a small variance in resistive power on a line can change it. Most of the time, power on/off again will reload, other times will have to remove power sources drain capacitance by powering it up. Can be worse with entry level systems with little built-in protection. Factory reset is the final hope or restore from original softset. I have been doing this engineering work for 35 years.

It makes sense if you know how software works. Any device can get looped by ladder logic loading, software corruption is very common, a line clock missing by milliseconds due to voltage irregularities will change the power on ROM sequence, or a small variance in resistive power on a line can change it. Most of the time, power on/off again will reload, other times will have to remove power sources drain capacitance by powering it up. Can be worse with entry level systems with little built-in protection. Factory reset is the final hope or restore from original softset. I have been doing this engineering work for 35 years.
Tech Support: Sir, have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?

Boy do I feel like a knuckle-head. I had a bit of corrosion on my connecting cables to my battery that once was cleaned off, everything works perfectly again! LOL. Lesson learned. We can close this thread down now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom