For Sale H55 transmission and split t-case for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HZJ60 Guy

Tank Buster
Threads
I have a freshly rebuilt H55 tranny and rebuilt tcase out of an HJ60 for sale. The unit is in Vancouver Canada right now. I'll ship anywhere. This will bolt up to a 2F as I understand it.

1800.00 is fair I've been told.

Tom Bentzen

jt_bentzen@yahoo.com

425-442-9604

Is that Canadian $ or US $?

US. I live in Seattle.

TB

Guys I just went through buying a H55 from Canada and had it shipped to me in Phoneix Arizona. Well it cost me 2,300 canadian for the unit then 900 to have it rebuilt in Canadian. So I had about 3000 canadian involved. It cost me another 500 to have it shipped and 100 US broker Fee. I got it here and they had dropped it off the pallette that was totally secure when i shipped it. Well I took pictures of it and send it to my friend in Man-A-Fre and he noticed it was a diesel tranny. well 200 dollars US later I got the new clutch assembly needed to mate the diesel tranny to the 2f motor. Then 50 US dollars for the broken part. Now I have another surprise, the H55 from Canada uses a vacum engagement system. A call to Man-A-Fre and he could put something together for me for about $500 us. I now have a transmission that is costing me more than if I just bought it from Man-A-Fre to start out with. I figure I will cost me about $3,500 by the time I am finished and I still do not have the one 4 wheel drive shifting nob. for all the headake I suffered I probably would have kept my 4 speed and went tothe Australian version. Then bought the rock box from advanced adapters or teh KluneV. I did see a comment on some Candadian site the stated do not install the 5 speed if yoiu think that will give you better gaz millieage. OUCH! guess what I was thinking. Of course I am still decided wether I should sell this H55 take my losses and to the kluneV route.
there was enough warnings out there about this convertion but nothing on the vacum control system. If I could only find a conversion kit to cable or solid linkage. :-\

That sucks you went through that! But, that doesn't sound quite right... I know several people locally who have installed H55Fs into FJ40's and they did not have to have a so called diesel engine clutch assembly...

Also, the "better gas mileage" condition only applies if you regularly run your cruiser at the same top speeds with the 5-speed in 5th gear as you did with the four speed in 4th gear. Thus, your top speed RPMs will be lower and essentially using less fuel. But, the thing is, most people get the 5-speed in and run it up to the same top RPMs as they were running the 4-speed at, which equals the same amount of gas consumption. I'm sure I'll do it when I finally get a 5-speed in my FJ60--but I'm not in it for gas-mileage, I just gotta go faster!!! :D Also, first gear in the 5-speed is lower so I guess technically it would probably cause you to use more fuel as well...

And another thing, H55F 5-speeds are available BRAND NEW at the dealer for $1800-$2200 USD, so those who have split t-cases can pretty much just bolt them in. That's why I'm interested in it if he'll seperate tranny from t-case. I've already got a split case. And if you don't already have a split t-case, this setup is still a pretty good deal--especially it being already rebuilt.

mclement,
The H55 trannys here in Canada are all from diesel models, either BJ60's or HJ60's (we NEVER had FJ60's here :flipoff2:). You could change the input shaft to mate to the 2F.
I have not seen a vacuum actuated transfer on one of these though ??? My '82 and '84 has, and always had, a standard floor shift.
Is the transfer case different from your existing split case?? I have been told, though I have not tried it, that the four speed case and the five speed case are interchangable as long as the intermidiate plate goes with the transmission it came with and the idler shaft diameter is the same.
What year was your H55 out of??

Well for what its worth.
My 1987 HJ60 have a vac shifted transfer, so they do exist.
I would not want to have to adapt one of those...

However, I may be in the market for a rebuilt transfer case.
So maybe this setup can be split.

Alex

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=5;threadid=5240;start=msg45656#msg45656 date=1064782155]
mclement,
The H55 trannys here in Canada are all from diesel models, either BJ60's or HJ60's (we NEVER had FJ60's here :flipoff2:). [/quote]

Lucky bastards. Can we trade, please?

[quote author=theferg link=board=5;threadid=5240;start=msg59403#msg59403 date=1068072140]
No doubt Jman.... To all you Canadians, I have a RARE FJ60 I could export to ya in trade for an HJ60...possibly a BJ60...

-Ferg-
[/quote]

give me your axles first ::)

I may be selling the '84 BJ60 later next spring :D. There are already interested people south of the 49th! It does not have the H55 though. I transplanted that to my '82 :D which is not for sale for under $50,000 (too much work getting it to where it is. For $50,000 I'd do it again).
Not all BJ60's had the H55 up here either, just the '83 and later models. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom