H42 notchy shifting question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Freshly rebuilt H42 in my '71 resto-mod.....since this is my first experience with a 40, I'm curious about the shifting.

When upshifting, there are 2 distinct clicks to get it into gear, and with the second click, it feels like a couple of gear teeth rubbing against each other. Not really a grind, just more like I can feel it finding the next gear. It does it going through all 4 gears. If I shift really slowly (2-3 seconds for each gear change) it doesn't do it. Downshifting is fine, notchy shift is still there, but no feeling of the teeth meshing. Clutch is adjusted properly and there are no weird noises coming from the tranny.

I've got lots of experience driving manual vehicles, including 1970's muscle cars, and I know the H42 will never be "smooth". but not does that sound like normal shifting for the 4-speed?

I'm currently running Sta-Lube 85w-90 GL-4 in the trans and transfer case. I'm wondering if that oil might be a bit too thick and is exaggerating the notchy shifting. I've read that Redline MT-90 improves shifting quite a bit.....I was going to give that a try, but wasn't sure whether I should get straight 90W, or go with the 75W-90.....any suggestions?

1698147809712.png

Not really a grind, just more like I can feel it finding the next gear. It does it going through all 4 gears. If I shift really slowly (2-3 seconds for each gear change) it doesn't do it.
Well, I can just tell, mine is doing the exact same thing. I think there are only 2 gears synchronized (forgot which ones, guess it's 1st and 2nd).
But mine makes really noises if I shift to fast. I usually press the clutch, take out (eg) 1st and move the shifter to 2nd and apply a little bit of pressure and after 1s (or so) the 2nd will slipp in and I continue.
You just need to get used to it, then it works good.

You can try different oils, I couldn't see a major "improvement" on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom