74 40 with an 83 fj60 h42 shifting issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my 74 fj40 I have upgraded to a h42 out of a fj60 and I just swapped the top plate and everything went together perfectly. The trans has unknown miles but there is no noises nor did I see any ware on the gear teeth. I also resealed everything, and it still leaks but whatever lol

The issue is when I'm down shifting it hangs in neutral and you can't get it in any gear unless you nearly stop. Sometimes it downshifts fine and others there is a noticeable stiffness going into 3rd or 2nd. This did improve when I topped up the oil.

I did have a very similar problem with the original transmission which leads me to believe that there may be something wrong with my top plate and not the synchros

I'd check the clutch disengagement. On my currently dead 84 F150, I can no longer shift the tranny into any gear if the transfer is in anything other than neutral. This happened at a stop sign. Never had any issues or noise right up until it went south. I'm going to change the transfer (85) in the spring and see what happens. Some way I'll make one working truck and a trailer from the 83 and 85.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom