H42 four speed manual transmission into 1992 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

for now with the wiring I have jumpered the neutral safety switch, so I would start. I scavenged the dash connector for the automatic and swapped it for the end of the reverse switch for the h42. The neat thing about this is that not only do my reverse lights light up, the R on the dash is illuminated in reverse. I placed the speed sensor in line and hooked it back up, and still have to figure out how to tie in to the diff lock light with the 4wd indicator on the split case.

pic of new reverse harness:

img292.jpg
img292.jpg

I still have a few projects to finish up, mainly installing the aisin hubs and some other front axle goodies(new TRE's, aussie locker, marlin seals, longfield wipers). I also have to build a skid plate for the transfer, it really seems exposed back there, especially the speed sensor and speedometer cable.

I have been driving it on short trips though and the difference is truly amazing. There is so much more power, especially on hills. It looks like I will be at just under 3000 rpms at 70, which is not bad, but I will probably have to do some sound deadening since I have a loud exhaust. I really like the utilitarian feel of the truck now. Every time I park I instinctively reach for the e-brake on the dash, just like I did on my old 40. I will update as I finish it up, I am just waiting on the axle seals now.

the other unexpected side effect of the swap is that I seem to have gained another inch of lift in the back with my ome 863's. I have two 315 tires in the back in this picture;

xtralift.jpg
xtralift.jpg

Why do you seem to have two t-case shifters? >braces for slap<

Why do you seem to have two t-case shifters? >braces for slap<

Twin sticks - one for 2wd-4wd, one for H-N-L. the stock shifter for the 60 goes forward and backwards and left and right. I couldn't route them where I wanted them and keep the stock movement. Twin sticks also shift smoother and give you 2 low, which will be helpful with the front aussie locker.

I really did this project so I could sell it to Land Speeder

OK, so i made that above quote up, Matt really didn't say that, but I've ridden in this junk twice now, and i cry every time that it's not mine. I love the 3FE and with this tranny, it's got all kinds of power. Matt did an awesome job too and very little money!

Kuddo's on one of the coolest things I've seen or at least want.

OK, so i made that above quote up, Matt really didn't say that, but I've ridden in this junk twice now, and i cry every time that it's not mine. I love the 3FE and with this tranny, it's got all kinds of power. Matt did an awesome job too and very little money!

Kuddo's on one of the coolest things I've seen or at least want.

Thanks, but why would you want to buy this one now that you know that with a bodylift and a toybox it would almost bolt in. when you you do yours you're gonna want the crawler- triple sticks, now that would be confusing.

Thanks, but why would you want to buy this one now that you know that with a bodylift and a toybox it would almost bolt in. when you you do yours you're gonna want the crawler- triple sticks, now that would be confusing.

Ed Zachery.
But i gotta find a 91-92 candidate and then trick someone into buying this 94...

How much did this swap cost? I'm so putting it on the list if it's not too expensive.

Awesome thread.

I think that this illustrates why for mods and wheeling the 91-92 80s may end up being the trucks to have. Being able to bolt to a real bellhousing, opens up all sorts of swaps-SM420, SM465, H42, H41, H55f, Marlin Crawler boxes, etc.

Interesting about the pedal bucket. I would have thought the whole thing could have been used, just modded a bit. I wonder if that would be an item available from outside the US.

Last edited:
Awesome thread.

I think that this illustrates why for mods and wheeling the 91-92 80s may end up being the trucks to have. Being able to bolt to a real bellhousing, opens up all sorts of swaps-SM420, SM465, H42, H41, H55f, Marling Crawler boxes, etc.

Interesting about the pedal bucket. I would have thought the whole thing could have been used, just modded a bit. I wonder if that would be an item available from outside the US.

SOR has a the pedal bucket on clearance actually, but it is still over $200, which is more than the free I basically paid for mine, and it is rusty. the factory one is simple enough looking, I will end up building one out of 1/8 plate before I am done. Tapage posted some good pics of it in his manual swap thread too.

SOR pedal:

018-801-PRPEDAL.jpg

I wish I had planned more for a crawl box before starting. There is a good chance that a toybox would push the transfer back enough to use the stock crossmember mounts. I am sure the driveshafts would still have to be modified, but not nearly as much.
018-801-PRPEDAL.jpg

I wish I had planned more for a crawl box before starting. There is a good chance that a toybox would push the transfer back enough to use the stock crossmember mounts.

that right there sounds so awesome. You can still do that you know... give it a year.

Very cool stuff!

With the 80s fuel tank position, this might be the only way to get a seriously low gear in an 80 series. Any other option, even an H55+Crawler box would be too long. I agree that with 6 months, you are going to want lower gearing. It might also be worth seeing if a NP203 doubler box would physically fit. A Marlin box almost certainly would.

How much did this swap cost? I'm so putting it on the list if it's not too expensive.

I haven't totalled exactly what the conversion itself cost, probably a little less than $1000. I have spent more than that, but a lot of that is "while you're in there" maintenance like the rear main and oil pan gaskets plus some other non related expenses. I bought enough steel drops to build new welding table and cart, rear bumper, finish my sliders in addition to what was needed for this project.

you could order almost all of the parts you need for the swap from cruiserparts.net for $1500 - they have a package intended for the fj62. you would still need manual hubs(~$100) and probably another 400-500 in misc. parts (shift knobs, bolts, steel, oil, gaskets, hoses, etc.)

With the 80s fuel tank position, this might be the only way to get a seriously low gear in an 80 series. Any other option, even an H55+Crawler box would be too long. I agree that with 6 months, you are going to want lower gearing. It might also be worth seeing if a NP203 doubler box would physically fit. A Marlin box almost certainly would.

I just went out and measured at lunch, back of the case is around 13 inches from the tank, 8.5 from my exhaust(which could be easily moved). I already have the later model combination with the spacer to make it the length of an h55, so you could add 3.5 inches to that clearance. It has surprisingly low gearing already, the gearing was intended to be paired with 3.73 axle gears. The h55 first gear would be way low, I don't know if you could even really use it for around town, even with the 35's.

Next was the pilot bearing. A good tip here is to make sure the pilot bearing slides onto the transmission shaft easily while the transmission is accessible and not up on a jack under the truck. Mine did not slide on easily, so I cleaned the shaft with a scotch brite pad until the bearing would slide on. I hammered the pilot bearing in with a socket, installed the clutch plate using the alignment tool and bolted on the pressure plate following the sequence listed in the FSM.

Did you use the 80 series pilot bearing?

I believe the bearing sizes are diffeent between the pre 91 3FEs vs the 91,92s.

I was wondering if a 91,92 pilot bearing would be too large for the H41/H42.

I just went out and measured at lunch, back of the case is around 13 inches from the tank, 8.5 from my exhaust(which could be easily moved). I already have the later model combination with the spacer to make it the length of an h55, so you could add 3.5 inches to that clearance. It has surprisingly low gearing already, the gearing was intended to be paired with 3.73 axle gears. The h55 first gear would be way low, I don't know if you could even really use it for around town, even with the 35's.

I drove my 60 around for years on 33s 4.11 gearing and an H55f. The low gear is extremely useful at uphill stop lights and similar. You'll want it.

If this is a wheeling truck, you are done. Add a Marlin box when $$ allows. If this is a street truck and there is room, then H55 will be a nice interim swap, then H55+Marlin Toybox for all your crawling needs.

Awesome stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom