H42 four speed manual transmission into 1992 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmm i'm thinking about this but with my diff gears I think it would be too high for my liking.

I think you are probably right - if my math is right with 37's and 4.88's you would run close to 3400 rpms at 70. an h55 would put you at 2900 at 70, and you would have an incredibly low first gear.

I think you are probably right - if my math is right with 37's and 4.88's you would run close to 3400 rpms at 70. an h55 would put you at 2900 at 70, and you would have an incredibly low first gear.

3102 with a 1.00 4th gear..... I don't know what the 5th gear is on a H55
I think the A440 has a .717 4th gear which brings it to only 2224

OK, so i made that above quote up, Matt really didn't say that, but I've ridden in this junk twice now, and i cry every time that it's not mine. I love the 3FE and with this tranny, it's got all kinds of power. Matt did an awesome job too and very little money!

Kuddo's on one of the coolest things I've seen or at least want.

What a long strange trip it's been... It's mines now!

Plans: Pick up where Matt left off. He did an awesome job with it. Try to make him proud, and a little jealous. It's a great truck to continue the build on.
The wildest I MAY do this coming year, since I have all the pieces for a "1-ton yota front axle"... I may work one up for it...
Looking towards a crawl box...

Hey BHMapping,

Im New to IH8mud But I have been wanting a FJ80 for sometime. Current going to look at FJ80 this weekend. Your article really changed me from wanting a FZJ80 to thinking the FJ80 may be a better fit, I was set on buying a diesel 80 But the cost to get better gas millage isnt worht it if I just put that money in gas. Anyway I do have some question I hope you could answer.

1. Did you ever add a Toybox? if so how do you like it?
2. Is the very low 1st gear in the H42 along with Low range pretty good for light crawling?
3. What type of Mileage do you get on the HW with this swap. (not looking for epic but my old runner got 13/16HWY, I know you mentioned 13MPG but is that HWY or in town.)
4. With 35s did you think your FJ80 would have been able to pull 5th if you had a H55?

Thanks again for putting this article together!

Last edited:
I sold the truck over five years ago but I will answer as best I can.
1. I didn't but the current owner, @Bossman , did.
2. H42 isn't all that low in first gear, that is the h41. But yes, I thought it was good for light crawling.
3. 13 MPG highway and town is what I got.
4. Probably, it was surprisingly peppy with 35's. If I remember correctly it has 37's and an h55 now so hopefully bossman will chime in.

Cottonland Overland Opine Thread

bhmmaping is correct. When I got the truck the t-case had been run completely out of oil so work was necessary. I ended up swapping out to an H55 for the lower first gear and overdrive. I also upgraded to the AA 4:1 gears in a Georg E. (Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers) rebuilt split case. I can't imagine needing any lower gearing in a wagon. It does have 37's on it now and gets down the road pretty well but you aren't going to win the drag race at the red light or keep up with your buddy in his 100 series up any kind of long hill. It has been to Alaska twice now on the Alaska Cruiser Trek and lived to tell the stories.

Nice! I have this mod coming up for my 91 fj80. Already got myself a 60 donor with a good h42 and all the rest of the stuff i need...

Exept for the clutch pedal assembly witch my local landcruiser guru told me to get one for a 96 tacoma or 4runner part numers 31310-35050 and
55107-34030 but im leaning in on fabn something like what you did

Well my ghetto clutch bucket that I hacked together from the 60 bucket finally collapsed on me so I had to build a proper one. The factory 80 bucket bolts to the dashboard somehow, but I couldn't find that hole on my truck. I ended up making a support plate for the engine side of the firewall and building a new piece for the inside. These are the only pictures I have for now, I will try and take some with the better camera now that it is installed.

View attachment 443652

View attachment 443653

It is amazing how much smoother the truck shifts now.
View attachment 443652View attachment 443653

Anyone know what clutch master cylinders will work with this setup?

I have an h42 in a 92 fj80 and the master cylinder is leaking. I brought the truck with the swap in place and don't know what master cylinder to buy for the replacement. It looks like it bolted with two through bolts (no studs) on the diagonal.

I am tempted to get a late model fj60 clutch master and remove the stud. Would it work??

Any help would be appreciated.

Shoot some pic of it, send, talk with Cruiser Outfitters they carry Aisin stuff, likely to have the correct one.

@ToyosandHam This is not the original thread but it's the closest I could find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom