H42 four speed manual transmission into 1992 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think this is going to be my next big project!!! Awesome job!!!:)

How's it do on the freeway? 4-speed = no overdrive, right?

How's it do on the freeway? 4-speed = no overdrive, right?

Speaking of which, I wonder if it's possible to get the 5-speed manual from a 94 22RE pickup into an 80....

Speaking of which, I wonder if it's possible to get the 5-speed manual from a 94 22RE pickup into an 80....

I -think- thats an R150.

Any mpg estimates with the H42? And also you could later swap in the H55 with no problem right? This would be sweet. :).

No MPG estimates yet. I have probably only gone through half a tank since the conversion and I want to get the steering fixed before I take it on the highway. Plus, I have to figure out how far off my speedometer is before I can get an accurate measurement.

I can swap in an h55 no problem. The spacer on the back of the later h42 makes it the same length as the h55. That was my original plan, but so far I like the gearing paired with the 35s.

Probably wouldn't go so well with 33's you think?

I can swap in an h55 no problem. The spacer on the back of the later h42 makes it the same length as the h55. That was my original plan, but so far I like the gearing paired with the 35s.

I realize the jury is still out until matt runs the hi-way to see where the 5th gear would be nice.... but I have to agree with Matt here, the h42 is sweet and sooo much cheaper to find.

Probably wouldn't go so well with 33's you think?

Too early to tell. It would be fine for what I have driven so far. Fourth gear on the H42 is 1:1, so it is the same ratio as third on the auto, but a little lower rpms because you have to take the torque converter out of the equation.

here is how the gearing on the H42 breaks down vs the a440f

-------------a440----h42
1st gear----2.95----3.55
2nd gear---1.53----2.292
3rd gear----1.00----1.41
4th gear----.765----1.00

so basically if you were comparing the gearing to what you would get reagearing the diffs, 1rst gear would be around 20% lower than stock, so a little more than 4.88's, and 4th is about 30% lower than stock, so a little more than 5.29's.

Around town the H42 will be fine. Off the pavement the lower 1st gear of the H55F helps and on the highway 5th gear is a plus.

Maybe the next step should be to 2FE the engine.

I went into this thinking it was going to be a stepping stone to an h55, but now I think the next step(way down the road) will probably be some type of crawl box + 37's. 37's would give nearly the same end result on the highway as an h55 and a toybox would be plenty low enough with the h42 off road. not to mention that for the cost of the h55 I could get the tires and toybox.

I actually have been watching the classifieds for a cheap 2f after reading the recent 2fe threads here and in the 60 series forum. 2fe+h42+toybox+splitcase+37's = fun

but now I think the next step(way down the road) will probably be some type of crawl box + 37's. 37's would give nearly the same end result on the highway as an h55 and a toybox would be plenty low enough with the h42 off road. not to mention that for the cost of the h55 I could get the tires and toybox.

If you ask me... that is the ultimate in a daily driver/wheeler. I challenge anyone to show me a better rig than an 80 series that has 37's, crawlbox, can drive down the hiway and crawl the trail.... what rig would be better?
I thought just a few short weeks ago that an F-Toy type rig was in my future but now I'm leaning towards Matt's setup and the above described...

. Plus, I have to figure out how far off my speedometer is before I can get an accurate measurement.

nice swap dude .. just wondering your speedo was cable driven .. ?

when I do my swap I just keep my t-case so I keep my speedo as same as it came factory .. ( lucky me )

And for the pedal .. it will end costing the same if I source one down here and send it to USA .. but are still a option ..

yes. 91-92's were cable driven all the way to the dash... A440...
A442 got the sensor out of the xfer case.

yeat another beautiful thing that came for the awesome 91-92's... God i love them.

when I do my swap I just keep my t-case so I keep my speedo as same as it came factory .. ( lucky me )

And for the pedal .. it will end costing the same if I source one down here and send it to USA .. but are still a option ..

speedo is cable driven, It has a speed sensor inline, but I think it is just for the cruise control. it all bolted up to the split case no problem.

Thanks for the option on the pedal bucket, I may contact you about that if I can't build one. I may actually be ok with mine, it isn't flexing with the bracing I added. It seems simple enough to build out of plate too, I just can't seem to find the PITA upper bolt hole you talk about in your thread.

I went into this thinking it was going to be a stepping stone to an h55, but now I think the next step(way down the road) will probably be some type of crawl box + 37's. 37's would give nearly the same end result on the highway as an h55 and a toybox would be plenty low enough with the h42 off road. not to mention that for the cost of the h55 I could get the tires and toybox.

I actually have been watching the classifieds for a cheap 2f after reading the recent 2fe threads here and in the 60 series forum. 2fe+h42+toybox+splitcase+37's = fun

You're going to need lower gears just to be able to putter along in those Birmingham traffic jams.

. It seems simple enough to build out of plate too, I just can't seem to find the PITA upper bolt hole you talk about in your thread.

maybe it just came in newer models .. ? not sure but it help a bunch to make the bucket stronger .. no big deal all in all .. it was hard to me to work in this tight space .. ( yes I pull the drivers seat ) with my 6'2"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom