H41 rebuild/input shaft options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi MUD community.
After recently doing a H55 conversion on the HJ47 with a fresh gearbox and transfer case i realised that the gearbox and transfer case in my FJ45 was a bit noisier than it should be.
With the recent success with the H55 conversion i tore the H41 out of the 45 with enthusiasm and was excited to get it pulled down.
It has the one piece transfer case. The transfer case looks serviceable and i have a rebuild kit on the way for it.
After spending a day disassembling the gearbox and getting everything cleanish im not too keen on putting the input shaft back in and i'd like to put a new countershaft in aswell.
Where i've run into a problem is the H41 input shafts 22 teeth. i can only seem to find a H42 input shaft with 26. ive done some research and only confused myself and made myself indecisive. I have a couple of options i think.

option one is the H55 input shaft compatible with my H41. does it have 22 teeth? early H55 input shaft with same size seal/pre 86?
option two get a new H42 input shaft and countershaft and lose the lo first gear, i have a H42 so i could salvage the countershaft out of it if need be.
option three rebuild the H42 and splitcase

subscribed!

===
1984 BJ42, frame-off restored, factory 5spd, 4E9 Toyo beige
1983 BJ45, resto project, H41 4spd

My local Toyota dealer is more interested in telling me to find something worth my time. They are not impressed when I go in there. I rang a few dealers and they said Input shaft nla. Countershaft is available though.
they can’t tell me if the H55F input shaft is compatible. They told me from 74 to 84 has the same input shaft.

I haven’t seen a bj45 in person in Australia but do recall seeing one advertised on gumtree in Tasmania.

the spline for the input shaft Isn’t my problem it’s the tooth count on the input shaft(1st gear). H42 26 teeth on first gear versus H41 22.
the H42 26 teeth on first gear isn’t compatible with the H41 Countershaft.

It’s a 7/79 Fj45. Running the original 2f and H41.
I have a H42 Out of a hj47 10/84 and I pulled the top cover off to inspect the input shaft to see if it was usable and I saw that the H42 has more teeth on first gear.

The input gear you seek is:

33311SHAFT, INPUT
33311-60034N=221$445.98
Thanks Jim
I think I’ve got a lead on an input shaft and countershaft at reasonable prices. I rang a Toyota dealer in Sydney that was happy to help but the input shaft was not listed anymore. Having the part number helped with Toyota over the phone and has helped with searching other places. Thanks again 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom