H41 Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.engusa.com
I have a few questions about the H41. Well just 1 question as I could not find the answer on this site or the web. The other 2 questions are more for confirmation of what I think I understand.

Looking at this link: TLC FAQ - 8.1 Transmission & transfer Case Ratios (All :1) - https://www.cruiserfaq.com/08-01.php, if the H41 is a 10 spline output shaft it has the lowest gear ratio at 5.299 and would fit a FJ40 transfer case (not a split case), right?

If the H41 has a 16 or 19 spline output shaft it has the other gear ratios and would require a Land Cruiser split t-case, right?

Would a top cover of a H42 fit on an H41?

I have a few questions about the H41. Well just 1 question as I could not find the answer on this site or the web. The other 2 questions are more for confirmation of what I think I understand.

Looking at this link: TLC FAQ - 8.1 Transmission & transfer Case Ratios (All :1) - https://www.cruiserfaq.com/08-01.php, if the H41 is a 10 spline output shaft it has the lowest gear ratio at 5.299 and would fit a FJ40 transfer case (not a split case), right?

If the H41 has a 16 or 19 spline output shaft it has the other gear ratios and would require a Land Cruiser split t-case, right?

10 and 16 spkine would fit the one piece transfer case. Just need different gears for the inside depending on the spline count. 19 spline requires asplit transfer case. The 10 splice were older and much harder to find.

The 10 spline was only from 9/72-9/73 and most like
ly use a different top cover. 9/73+ h42 and H41 use the same top cover. 16 and 19 spline transmissions used the same top cover. The aluminum 60 series top covers would work on all 9/72+ H41 or H42.

Believe the chart you linked the early H41 would be F155 and not FJ55. Would make more sense. Haynes manual lists it a for a F engine even though the 74 was still a F engine but with the new improved oiling system which many call the 2F oiling system.

Last edited:

My 12/79 H42 top cover and shifter cane dropped right on my H41 and works perfect.

Ran across the H41/H42 transmissions when looking for parts to request on the Heritage Parts Program. I bought my current 1976 FJ40 Cruiser a year ago, and my previous Cruisers I bought in the late 70's thru the late 80's, and they were still selling the Fj40 new or at least selling new parts then. From what I understand the H41 has a very low first gear compared to the H42. Is that correct, and is there any way of identifying which one a vehicle has? At this point its just curiosity, I'm not having any problems with the clutch/transmission.

From what I understand the H41 has a very low first gear compared to the H42. Is that correct, and is there any way of identifying which one a vehicle has? At this point its just curiosity, I'm not having any problems with the clutch/transmission.
One thing to note on the gear ratios, it seems the H41 was intended to use with a 3.7 diff and the H42 with a 4.11 diff, which brings the total ratio of the first gear closer (but H41+3.7 is still lower).
On this forum we often see people that fitted a H41 on a NA spec FJ40 with a 4.11 diff, which gives a very low 1st gear.

1631695629386.png

1631695690812.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom