H41 and split case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pinion spline: According to the Rob Mullen article I cited earlier, changeover for fine spline pinion was July, 1978. July '78 also marks the change to fine spline on the TC front output shaft (not that you asked!).

HTH!

Fine spline pinion Jan 78

Fine spline front output 76 and corresponded with the change to more gussets on the front output housing. For sure it was present by August 76 when my 76 was built.

You're most welcome, sir! Just trying to support my fellow Cruiserheads. Hope I don't come off as a know-it-all, I'm just a gearhead wannabe, and my experience gearing my mini for rock crawling has taught me to pay close attention to actual gear ratios. The 22R carbed four banger doesn't produce the torque of the F/2F motor! Or maybe I've just been sniffin' too much gear lube, who knows? :lol:

i stang corrected.

we usually don't get that technical about the gear ratios so we round off the #s to 2.28 for the split case and 5:1 for the h41. that gets you pretty close to what it actually is.

but thanks for adding the info to this thread, along with the mag refferances. i do appreciate it.

Fine spline pinion Jan 78

'Spose that's possible, but any chance your rig was modified before you got it? Rob's article is very clear, 10 spline at the pinion until July, 1978, see page 55. And other sources have confirmed this, as I was looking for fine spline diffs for a while. FWIW, FJ 62s have the fine spline pinion in 4.11 ratio ...

Fine spline front output 76 and corresponded with the change to more gussets on the front output housing. For sure it was present by August 76 when my 76 was built.

Freiberger researched his article very carefully ... I just re-read and it looks like fine spline on the shift collar in 1976. Splines on the front output shaft (for the front output flange) is definitely coarse spline until July, 1978, according to Freiberger. See page 152.

I've got 10/75 (76 model year) and 12/78 rigs, I'll check if I get a chance. Real world trumps research any day, but my bet is someone swapped your front output housing ...

The point is if you're swapping trans/TC, you have to pay attention to spline count, pinion flange bolt diameters, and pinion flange bolt pattern spacing, as they differ through the years.

Idler shaft: On the earlier one piece TCs, the idler shafts are all 25.4 MM. It's the idler shaft gussets that increased over the years, which made the TC housing itself stronger. Its the 1970 to July,1978 cases that have smaller gussets (and cases prior to 1970 have no idler gussets). July 1978 and later cases have larger gussets. The idler shaft diameter increased to 34 MM with the advent of the split cases in 1981 model year, at least for the N. American market. Apparently, there may have been some one piece cases with the larger diameter idler shaft, but these were not imported into NA.

Oh, that was it. Bigger gusset/boss on the outside. Sorry and thanks for the clarification.

Freiberger researched his article very carefully ... I just re-read and it looks like fine spline on the shift collar in 1976. Splines on the front output shaft (for the front output flange) is definitely coarse spline until July, 1978, according to Freiberger. See page 152.

-------

The point is if you're swapping trans/TC, you have to pay attention to spline count, pinion flange bolt diameters, and pinion flange bolt pattern spacing, as they differ through the years.

Not that it's any sort of definitive word these days but the Spectre site lists change-over dates for the pinion flanges as 1/78. The 1/78 date also shows up as a change for the front output shaft. From what to what it don't say. Again, not that it's any sort of "last word" or anything.

I guess I was thinking if you went the expensive route and used the output shaft e-brake set-up. Would the length interfere with the old-style curved tube crossmember? With H55?

Not sure I'm following you on the e-brake setup. If you mean using the non-USA drum parking brake on the back of a USA split case, I think you're OK with driveshaft length and with curved tube crossmember clearance since you're basically just substituting a split case for a one piece TC. Can't say for sure but it's a good guess you'd run into driveshaft issues with the H55F since it's longer than the H41.

Thanks for the info on the Spector OR site. Guess the bottom line is to check your hardware, right?

Way to hijack Georg's thread guys!:rolleyes:

I guess the bumps help, eh?

FWIW, if you bought a REPLACEMENT one piece case from Toyota after the late 80's, they started selling them with FJ60 sized idler shafts, so that IS what you saw most likely numby.

And just when you think you've seen it all....

I just saw a 3 speed trans with a factory CROSSMEMBER support under it [like the FJ60s use] and a single piece t-case with rear output flange [no parking brake] that was 100% factory setup!:eek:

I have some disc brake outers from a Toyota Pickup, if you want to trade.

I have some disc brake outers from a Toyota Pickup, if you want to trade.

send me a pm, let me know what they're worth to you. maybe we can work something out.

georg

send me a pm, let me know what they're worth to you. maybe we can work something out.

georg[/QUOTE

I have fj40 complete disk brake front end and shut loads of other parts whatcha need

sorry, i'm not looking to ship this stuff.......

Do you still have this George, does it have a drum brake on it?

I know you don't want to ship, but I would be interested. Shipping would be required.

Cool just curious, been considering a 4 speed swap in my 73. This would be a good bang for the buck, get away from the highstrung first in the 3speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom