Builds GXOR or Bust! GX470 w KDSS Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Checked out @Jstawgn suggestion, seems a bit flimsy to me since it's just a flat extending out from under the mirror.

It's a great idea and unique but I'd like something a bit more substantial if at all possible.

For everyone else looking, heres a screenshot.

Screenshot_20220407-174142_Gallery.jpg

Seems like the link or pic didnt come through, could you repost?

Thanks!

4.3 out of 5 stars143Reviews

LED Ditch Light Mounting Brackets for 2005-2015 Toyota Tacoma LED Hood Mount Brackets LED Light Pods brackets for Auxiliary Off Road Pod Work Light …​

There on Amazon. Ditch light brackets for 2005 and up Tacoma. Reviews also show they fit the GX and some others too

4.3 out of 5 stars143Reviews

LED Ditch Light Mounting Brackets for 2005-2015 Toyota Tacoma LED Hood Mount Brackets LED Light Pods brackets for Auxiliary Off Road Pod Work Light …​

There on Amazon. Ditch light brackets for 2005 and up Tacoma. Reviews also show they fit the GX and some others too
That's great information right there..

Upper Hinge Hood Mounted GX470 Ditch Spot Light Brackets from 05-15 Toyota Tacoma.

Under 20 bucks and free shipping(after another $9.01 spent on Amazon), done deal. Typos and all.👍

Picking up a set now, love the idea. Thank you @aztoytec! I'll post pics right after the INSTALLTION. 😜

Looks like the old mounts are going to end up being antenna mounts
Screenshot_20220408-003511_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220407-234114_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Alrighty.. I went in today and pulled the brackets.

Looks like I somehow got CBI 4Runner Brackets after comparing them online at CBI to proper GX470 ones after @Jstawgn mentioned he was having zero problems.

I did order these through the Apex Overland website, not exactly sure how things got mixed up; But they did. Everything kinda makes sense now, I wasn't being a smart primate.

BTW: The CBI T4R4 Brackets do fit the GX470, just barely, but it's probably not a good idea to run with them.

Looks to me..(after trimming the 4Runner ones today, think madman with a cutting wheel)..like the CBI GX470 brackets will look much better and work just fine. *Just make sure that you're getting what you ordered before you install.*

Here I was impressed at the fit of those dang 4Runner brackets when I put them in a year ago too. 🙄😑🤣

Well, hell. Ordering GX470 brackets from CBI tonight. Curious to see how effortlessly nice that they fit.

And I am not finishing 'The 4Runner to GX470 CBI Ditch Light Bracket conversion'. Butt here is a peek of what you need to make it work if you somehow need to for a GX470 with a snorkel installed(pic).

Dont forget step2 and make those cuts more appealing somehow. Paint with Rustoleum 'Protective Flat Black', dry, and done.

That rattle can matches the original black color pretty good.

The T4R4 Drivers side bracket goes in just fine, no trimming needed. Easy day.

Screenshot_20220408-194334_Gallery.jpg

Finally thought about getting a shot of that slope that leads to my place in the canyon. Decomposed rock over rock shelves(pic). Gets tricky when anything but dry..

Also reinstalled the modified CBI T4R4 brackets for now, needed a place to put in some 3in Lasfit flood pattern pods I picked up back in December.

The spot flood combo has been a good light so far, just not for me and how I use ditchlights. Since there was a reason to get everything out of the way, the windshield replacement, I went ahead and made the swap.

They got wired to the switch panel relay separately. This way I can control the left and right ditch light individually. The thought came about when I stopped to help some Montana folk with a flat on the SR89 at dusk. Right there I sure was wishing I could turn the drivers side off; So that got fixed too.

Now I'm trying to remember where I put the sheet of sticker thingies for the switch panel.. 🤪

Screenshot_20220409-220230_Gallery.jpg

I've been tinkering.. Got that massive beast of a compressor, the 12v ARB Twin, put in but it still needs to get wired and plumbed. I'll post pics when I get I the rest of those things together and put in.

Turns out the Apex Overland tray wont support the weight reliably so I went with the Rago Fabrication mount w/o the wifey mount(I want to be able to access the fuse tray). It's pretty solid, looks good, well thought out, and is well manufactured.

The only gripe I have is that there is potential for rattling on the rearward portion of the tray where it meets the fender. But that's just me nitpicking..

Just going to cut a thin polyurethane sheet for a shim to go between the mount and the body in the rear. A washer or two where the bolts mount up is a possibility too. Will see what works.

Also picked up the Rago Antenna mount and will be drilling that in sometime this week.

Oh, and then theres the ditchlight brackets @aztoytec suggested; They got here too. I'll be messing with that as well, looks like a perfect fit so far. Seems they would also be easy to remove if you had to have a windshield done, if they're even in the way? Either way, looks like a good low profile solution.

Side note, my older NOCO gb20(12v 400A) gave up after getting run over on dry mud. Absolutely my fault.

The lithium battery pack is swelling up and is about to go, looks like I'm going to have to shoot it before I dispose of it in some battery bin somewhere. Dont want to be responsible for setting anything ablaze. Unintentionally of course! 😜🤣

Now I'm between getting another one, because it's a great piece of gear, or figuring out a spot to mount remote bulkhead lugs/connection for jumping but I'm not sure if that's a good idea yet. Any pointers here would be greatly appreciated.

As always, rubber side down folks. 👍

FYI the KDSS spacer is back in stock

FYI the KDSS spacer is back in stock
YESSSSSSSSSSS! THanks for this, I can't believe I even stumbled onto this post. Been waiting to get my hands on a set of these for the 470 for months, thanks for letting us know.

Finally got to putting the 295/70r17LT Milestar Patagonia MT's and Magnum+(200's?, 1bag EA) balancing beads on my ride. Also got a laser alignment done today after the install to make sure everything is gtg there.

Looks like I'll need to do a BMC and some massaging/trimming of the front bumper and liner.. It drives fine(lost some giddieup) and it feels like the center of gravity dropped a lil bit. And it does rub when steering(stock rim@ET25 minus a 1.5" spacer, ET-13?) if you're wondering.

I'll give Magnum+ a chance before saying anything definite, but at low speeds(30-35mph) on blacktop the tire/balancing bead combination was silky smooth.

There was still a bit of imbalance coming down the i40 though. It felt just a little worse than standard sticky weights tbh. Hoping for better. Media distribution?..tbc.

Screenshot_20220610-161021_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220610-161007_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220610-182650_Opera.jpg

Great build you got going here. I also have an 06 in Titanium Metallic. Excited to see where this goes!

20220607_111601.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom