GX460 vs LX570 - questions for owners! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having re-geard my GX (with my 34" tires) and driving up and around South Lake Tahoe for a couple of weeks over the holidays, I had no issues with power or with the trans hunting for gears! She ran like a champ!
It felt good going up and over grades and still felt strong for passing on two lane roads when necessary.

tacoma crew cab 4x4 = 16.1lb/hp
gx = 17.2 lb/hp
t4r = 17.4 lb/hp supercharged = 13.4 lb/hp
lx570 = 15.7 lb/hp supercharged = 12 lb/hp

Also for comparison
Vehicle 0-60; 1/4 mile
Tacoma 7.1-7.9; 15.4-16.2
4Runner 7.5-8.0; 15.7-16.1
Gx . 6.9-7.4; 15.4-15.8
LX570 6.7-7.3 ; 15.1-15.6

Turns out - they're all slow. :)

Last edited:
Wonder if there is anyone charging (turbo or super) the GX anywhere?

Reactions: r2m
Curb Weights

[GX 470]
2003 - 4,585 lbs
2004 - 4,740 lbs,
2005 to 2009 - 4,871 lbs,

[GX 460]
2010 to 2015 - 5,128-5,179 lbs
2016 to 2019 - 5,130-5,199 lbs

[LX 570]
2008-2011 5,995 lbs
2013- 2019 6,000 lbs

[4R]
SR5 4,400 lbs
SR5 Premium 4,400 lbs
TRD Off-Road 4,750 lbs
TRD Off-Road Premium 4,750 lbs
Limited 4,525 lbs
Limited Nightshade Edition 4,525 lbs
4R TRD Pro 4,750 lbs
Great info! I never looked at that! When I was looking at rigs, I was more concerned with and doing comparisons turning radius, vehicle length/height/width, approach and departure angles, etc. since I was building mine as an overlander/expo rig.
Never thought to compare weight. I guess because I've added probably about >500 lbs of iron to my GX with bumpers, sliders, rack, winch, etc.
The 1UR-FE in the GX 460 is tuned for 347HP and 339 lb-ft in these middle eastern spec models
I'm not not talking the direct injected 1UR-FSE either so there would seem to be more that can be squeezed out of a stock 1UR-FE

This company back in late '17 was gauging interest for a supercharger or turbo option. You might want to reach out to them. RR Racing Motorsports Engineering and Tuning
With all my weight, I'm probably closer to the LX weight to pony power equation.

With all my weight, I'm probably closer to the LX weight to pony power equation.

Did you decide on your stance yet? I'm a lurker who is considering moving out of my STi to a GX or an LX. I know someone mentioned profile, but when I swung by the dealer today, they had the LX and the new GX next to each other, and, to be frank, they look the same size. Like, less than a 10% difference. I can't imagine the extra 4" of width make a great deal of difference on the trail, but I dunno.

Did you decide on your stance yet? I'm a lurker who is considering moving out of my STi to a GX or an LX. I know someone mentioned profile, but when I swung by the dealer today, they had the LX and the new GX next to each other, and, to be frank, they look the same size. Like, less than a 10% difference. I can't imagine the extra 4" of width make a great deal of difference on the trail, but I dunno.

I am pretty certain that the OP ended up in a LX570. We have both the LX and the GX, both are 2019 models, here is my takeaway (keep in mind this is strictly comparing the 2016+ GX and LX).

GX

Pros
Better fuel economy
Easier to park and run around town
Better size and weight for trails/off-road
65-70% of the price of the LX (new vs. new)
More aftermarket options and interchangeability with the 4Runner
More availability both new and second hand
Everything we all wish the 5th Gen could/should be

Cons
Smaller than the LX
Cramped cargo area due to raised deck for third row
Average to under powered for a V8
Dated interior and tech
See them everywhere (at least here in Texas)
Horrible bumper options
Low residual value compared to the LX
Cabin/interior not as quiet or refined as the LX
Not wonderful to tow anything sizable or heavy with (over 3,000lbs is meh)
Weird rear barn door

LX

Pros
Good power and transmission
Great size and interior space
Good luxury appointments
AHC
Don't see them everywhere
Can be bought new with deep discounts
Split lift gate and tailgate
Tows 5,000lbs respectably well

Cons
Pricey even with discounts
Heavy
Dated tech
Funky front spindle grille
Very little aftermarket
Horrid fuel economy

If I could only have one it would be the LX. If I wanted to keep it for more than 3-5 years and found myself driving at least 50/50 on road/off-road or more towards the on road side of things I find the LX to be the better choice. Both can work for those with kids because they have third rows but the LX has more room and would be the better choice in that regard. For those that want to build a capable off-road vehicle and have no kids to a small family and might even be more budget focused then the GX wins. It has better aftermarket parts/mods availability and with their recent spike in popularity I suspect that market will continue to grow and blossom here in the coming years. A clean, late model (3-4 years old), low milage GX can be had for under $35K all day while the LX will run you nearly double that.

With all of that said, we have decided to mod our GX over the LX simply because of the available aftermarket and because it's size lends itself to be a better option off-road. It gets better fuel economy and will be easier to unload modified than the LX. I can't say just yet whether or not we will keep the LX for the long haul but if we do it'll get some sliders, a BMC and some BFG 35's and be reserved for light off-roading and camping. In all honesty, it's horrid fuel economy and lack of aftermarket are the two biggest reasons why I have yet to commit to keeping it for the long haul. For those that simply want to keep their vehicles stock or close to stock, the LX is a great option for a long term vehicle if you can accept its fuel economy.

'11 GX here......very happy with the purchase last month....now pushing 97K miles

Interior space is plenty for wife & I.....occasional 2 other passengers added

Recent hwy trip showed 22 mpg on computer ? How accurate ? Maybe my light foot ?

Running mid range fuel....87-88 octane with no issues......4-7K' elevation....great car !

Ironman lift ordered......then tire/wheel pkg before summer.....

0nvDIcv.jpg

'11 GX here......very happy with the purchase last month....now pushing 97K miles

Interior space is plenty for wife & I.....occasional 2 other passengers added

Recent hwy trip showed 22 mpg on computer ? How accurate ? Maybe my light foot ?

Running mid range fuel....87-88 octane with no issues......4-7K' elevation....great car !

Ironman lift ordered......then tire/wheel pkg before summer.....
I get a solid 20 mpg on mine on medium to long road trips with a best of 22. I don't trust any of the mpg computers. Some CAN be fairly accurate depending on when you reset them but most are off. IMO, they're only good for showing trends for the most part.

We have both and we like them both. The driving experience in the LX is MUCH better than the GX. You really notice it when you switch between the two on a daily basis. The LX is solid, planted, and powerful. Ironically, I own a LX because I couldn't stand my Tacoma after driving my wife's GX. You can't go wrong either way, but if I was forced to choose I'd pick LX or LC over GX unless it was strictly an economic decision. The GX is the best value for the money.

Albeit, the LX is a larger and more solid vehicle (read: tank) the GX is very solid too! No tinny doors sound when shutting, no squeaks and other unseemly sounds.
On a scale of these fine Lexus vehicles we're looking at the LX being a 10.5 and the GX being a 9.5 on a scale of 1 to 10...
No other off road vehicle comes close. Well... Okay, Landrover. But after the 4 lease is up you better get rid of it because it sure as heck won't be lasting hundreds of thousands of miles like a Toyota product!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom