GX460 Running board removal and slider install write up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang

My sliders should be delivered today or tomorrow. I used the search function but I don't see a write up on how to remove the running board and install the sliders. I assume it's pretty simple but I just want to see if there are any gotchas and issues. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

From memory, there are two phillips head screws in each side accessed by opening the doors, and some Torx head screws in the wheel wells front and rear. I want to say T27 or T30. I had a fold up combo I used. I then loosened the three pairs of bolts from the body underneath after unplugging the lights. I had a rock stuck in the tab on my plug/connector so had to get a screwdriver and pry it open so it would let go on the light wiring. Then with the doors open I used a body/fascia plastic pry tool to separate the plastic clips along the body where the steps meet it with the doors open. I just started at the front and worked my way back. Don't force anything and you'll be fine. I have seen in the past that most people prefer to cut their steps when mounting sliders, FYI. It really cleans up the gaps of the installed sliders. I took mine off for a trip to Big Bend and am really thankful for the ground clearance, would have had a bad time without it. T4R.org post on sliders. See this other forum for some pictures. Good luck, post some pictures after your instal!

From memory, there are two phillips head screws in each side accessed by opening the doors, and some Torx head screws in the wheel wells front and rear. I want to say T27 or T30. I had a fold up combo I used. I then loosened the three pairs of bolts from the body underneath after unplugging the lights. I had a rock stuck in the tab on my plug/connector so had to get a screwdriver and pry it open so it would let go on the light wiring. Then with the doors open I used a body/fascia plastic pry tool to separate the plastic clips along the body where the steps meet it with the doors open. I just started at the front and worked my way back. Don't force anything and you'll be fine. I have seen in the past that most people prefer to cut their steps when mounting sliders, FYI. It really cleans up the gaps of the installed sliders. I took mine off for a trip to Big Bend and am really thankful for the ground clearance, would have had a bad time without it. T4R.org post on sliders. See this other forum for some pictures. Good luck, post some pictures after your instal!

Thanks! hopefully don't have to cut.

You may either have to trim the bottom of the steps and/or purchase a trim piece that goes under the doors and above the sliders. The guys that installed mine just trimmed the plastic.

You may either have to trim the bottom of the steps and/or purchase a trim piece that goes under the doors and above the sliders. The guys that installed mine just trimmed the plastic.

Darn, guess there is no avoiding the cutting wheel.

The guys at YotaMaster used a black lip trim to go over what they cut and it looks good. Can't even notice it with the black sliders!

You don't need to replace the plastic trim bits. I have the intact running boards stashed away in case I want to put them back on later. With the sliders mounted it looks a little odd - but off roading a Lexus is a little odd by definition. :)

You don't need to replace the plastic trim bits. I have the intact running boards stashed away in case I want to put them back on later. With the sliders mounted it looks a little odd - but off roading a Lexus is a little odd by definition. :)

I was thinking the same. So from the looks of it the piece people trim seems to be part of the running board and I plan on taking the whole thing off. Still looking for a good picture of the entire running board without cutting it.

Btw can you post a picture of your installed sliders? Thanks!!

Hey gang

My sliders should be delivered today or tomorrow. I used the search function but I don't see a write up on how to remove the running board and install the sliders. I assume it's pretty simple but I just want to see if there are any gotchas and issues. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Just did mine yesterday and installed sliders. The reply you got for removal is correct. Too easy.

Just did mine yesterday and installed sliders. The reply you got for removal is correct. Too easy.

I managed to do the passenger side only. Yes removal is quite easy. I decided to cut the siding because the sliders look really short without it. Cutting is quite easy also, I’ll do a little bit of write up when I get some time.

Last edited:
They look nice! How wide do they stick out? Can you at least get the ball of your foot over the tubing when you're standing on them?
I can only get a toe hold on mine. When you're taking care of something on the roof rack, it gets tiring real quick when supporting all your weight with just your toes. Much easier if one is on the ball of the foot. I may be swapping mine out for wider ones in the future.

So it to much longer than anticipated but life happens. Anyhow I finally got around install my sliders on both sides and so far quite happy with them. Got the flat version from RSG for the GX with the kick out, thanks to the kickout the rear step is huge! Both the wife and my son love it because the rear step was less than useful from the factory. I only manage to rig the puddle light on one side though thanks to my stulidity of messing up the factory light harness. Anyone has an extra one?

As far as write up goes it was easier than I thought or much easier compare to installing my sliders on the 80.

1. Factory steps are pretty easy to remove.
Few bolts/screws on the wheel well
6 bolts on the step arms attached to the body
2 screws in the trim and everything would just pop off with a plastic trim tool

54660880-2713-449E-9C18-181CAE58CDF9.jpeg

223BDCA1-205B-491A-BA0D-230775126A17.jpeg

CD34F1DC-9DE6-4EEC-81E5-DC19E85E9C9E.jpeg

34ECC178-9567-49E3-AEF8-5E0A8C6F6157.jpeg

B41F968F-1D77-4D78-82D8-5A733D5F87B4.jpeg

Passenger side is really easy! Remove the bolt for the hand brake line and the sliders would just bolt right up. My sliders came with longer bolt for the hand brake mount.

Drivers size has a couple of more steps.
  1. Remove all bolts from the KDDS and what looks like hand brake lines
  2. Remove front KDDS line shield. The shield needs 3/4 inch of material removed with an angle grinder so it will clear the slider mounting plate
  3. Pull all lines away from frame and slide the slider mounting plate behind all the lines and bolt everything down
  4. Reinstall modified shield
Sont forget to disconnect the puddle light!

Cutting is also very easy with an angle grinder with cutting wheel.

They look nice! How wide do they stick out? Can you at least get the ball of your foot over the tubing when you're standing on them?
I can only get a toe hold on mine. When you're taking care of something on the roof rack, it gets tiring real quick when supporting all your weight with just your toes. Much easier if one is on the ball of the foot. I may be swapping mine out for wider ones in the future.

Also interested in this. Can you take a picture of your foot stepping on the slider? Been looking at all the different sliders trying to find one that has a functional step

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom