GX460 / Prado150 pic thread (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

how do you like the cooper tires?
I like them more than I thought, previously had AT3’s on my tundra. Glad I went a step further with rugged trek. Not to loud and feel good on highway. Having slotted cross drilled rotors installed as we speak. I have used this brand on my r53 mini which is just for the track, my 535i, 2 of my 335i and had on tundra. Just put on my daughters rx350. Good rotors..decent pad, I go ebc for track tho

IMG_20220226_075032_798.jpg

Just lifted - IVD Stage 2, KO2 285/70/17

Picked up this 2013 GX460 about seven months ago - stock with 43k miles. Made the switch from an armored, triplelocked 100 series and couldn't be happier.

Pics are from a fun one nighter out on the Bradshaw Trail/Red Canyon Trail area of CA near the AZ border a couple of weeks ago. Build is about 80% done and the aim is minimalist.

IMG_5069.jpeg

Image (1).jpeg

Image.jpeg

Picked up our GX460s replacement this weekend. Excited to start modding the 100 and play around with something new. About the only thing the 100 lacks that the GX has is keyless entry and memory seats........well the 100 also lacks a car payment lol

View attachment 2946193
We had two 100 series (both '98's) and there's a whole lot more I like about the GX than just the locking.
Love the ventilated seats, three climate zones, rear middle seats slide forward and aft, much better stereo, much quieter, and a biggie, it's a wee bit smaller for trails!

funny to see some people go from gx to 100, and some people go from 100 to gx. would be nice to see some write ups and good comparisons between the two.

Reactions: r2m
funny to see some people go from gx to 100, and some people go from 100 to gx. would be nice to see some write ups and good comparisons between the two.
It may not be a "write-up" but I did mention a bunch of advantages of the GX.
Another that I didn't mention is that the 100 series have front torsion bar suspension. You're limited to 2.5"-3" lift, MAX! And you need a diff-drop kit when you do raise it that high. My GX doesn't need a diff drop kit and I'm at about 2.75" suspension lift, with 35"s!
I also had to do a 1.75" body lift to fit 35" tires on that Hundy.
It's all on the 100 series forum.

We had two 100 series (both '98's) and there's a whole lot more I like about the GX than just the locking.
Love the ventilated seats, three climate zones, rear middle seats slide forward and aft, much better stereo, much quieter, and a biggie, it's a wee bit smaller for trails!

It may not be a "write-up" but I did mention a bunch of advantages of the GX.
Another that I didn't mention is that the 100 series have front torsion bar suspension. You're limited to 2.5"-3" lift, MAX! And you need a diff-drop kit when you do raise it that high. My GX doesn't need a diff drop kit and I'm at about 2.75" suspension lift, with 35"s!
I also had to do a 1.75" body lift to fit 35" tires on that Hundy.
It's all on the 100 series forum.

Ventilated seats - Never used them
Sliding rear seats - Never moved them
Head unit is utter garbage in both
My 100 has dual climate, I could care less if the cargo in the 3rd zone is comfortable.
GX and 100 are the same length, 100 is like 3-4" wider which doent matter where we go especially since im more apt to drag sticks down a $15k vehicle versus a $40K vehicle.

If im doing anything that requires a big lift and 35"+ tires I dont want the 100 or the GX. I have built many vehicles to wheel in and neither of these are anywhere on my radar for that.

The 100 wins in the looks department imo The GX front end is hideous and never grew on me. The plan was an ARB bumper but didnt want to cut up the stock one because ended up just wanting to sell the truck. The 100 also wins IMO because they both feel like a 2005 but only one is. My daily driver is the same year as the GX and the GX feels ancient in comparison lol

Different strokes for different folks!

Currently in Utah spending a few days playing in the snow (Brighton and Snowbird). Going to take a quick trip to the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in SLC, then stop in Bonneville on the way home to Reno. Then, stop driving for a while as gas prices are kinda nuts. I'm just going to ignore the bill until I get home.

PXL_20220308_170110170.jpg

Ventilated seats - Never used them
Sliding rear seats - Never moved them
Head unit is utter garbage in both
My 100 has dual climate, I could care less if the cargo in the 3rd zone is comfortable.
GX and 100 are the same length, 100 is like 3-4" wider which doent matter where we go especially since im more apt to drag sticks down a $15k vehicle versus a $40K vehicle.

If im doing anything that requires a big lift and 35"+ tires I dont want the 100 or the GX. I have built many vehicles to wheel in and neither of these are anywhere on my radar for that.

The 100 wins in the looks department imo The GX front end is hideous and never grew on me. The plan was an ARB bumper but didnt want to cut up the stock one because ended up just wanting to sell the truck. The 100 also wins IMO because they both feel like a 2005 but only one is. My daily driver is the same year as the GX and the GX feels ancient in comparison lol

Different strokes for different folks!
Yep, every rig is going to have it's pro's and con's and then those will be different for each person. I do miss not caring about pin stripping my LX450 but love the comfort and power of the GX. And I know I will miss the "easy" dial when I get into something that lockers would really help but I know this is a different rig and requires a different style of wheeling. I am curious how the GX will do in the rocks at the parks that I frequent (in comparison to a locked rig) with the MTS and CC. As soon as I get my BudBuilt skids painted and installed I'll be ready to find out. And, yes, it is a shame that Toyota / Lexus remain in the dark ages when it comes to tech. But I will take the reliability over the tech any day. I can "fix" the tech issues......I can't really make it more reliable.

Yep, every rig is going to have it's pro's and con's and then those will be different for each person. I do miss not caring about pin stripping my LX450 but love the comfort and power of the GX. And I know I will miss the "easy" dial when I get into something that lockers would really help but I know this is a different rig and requires a different style of wheeling. I am curious how the GX will do in the rocks at the parks that I frequent (in comparison to a locked rig) with the MTS and CC. As soon as I get my BudBuilt skids painted and installed I'll be ready to find out. And, yes, it is a shame that Toyota / Lexus remain in the dark ages when it comes to tech. But I will take the reliability over the tech any day. I can "fix" the tech issues......I can't really make it more reliable.

We have 100, 150, and 200 in our stable. I enjoy beating on the 100 the most...but I'm old school. Wife will only drive the GX. She thinks the 100 is "old" and the 200 is "stupid". It all subjective. I think they are all great in their own special ways.

Before this we had a 17' Tacoma and there were things I didnt like about it, but I really miss that truck now. CC in that truck really did work great. GX will be the same way, im sure a couple months from now I will be pining for the GX days! Especially when im going through the 100 doing maintnence items the GX is nowhere due for.

We have 100, 150, and 200 in our stable. I enjoy beating on the 100 the most...but I'm old school. Wife will only drive the GX. She thinks the 100 is "old" and the 200 is "stupid". It all subjective. I think they are all great in their own special ways.
Thants funny because the GX is my wifes daily and she is the one that wanted it replaced with the 100. A long time ago we had a CRV we put 350K miles on and she has many times said that is her favorite vehicle we have owned simply because she just didnt care as much about scratches, dings or muddy dogs in the back. Hoping the 100 will fill this role again.

Pulled the Ironman platform off and bolted on some pieces of aluminum square tubing I had laying around the shop, perfect fit! Now I’m able to strap the rocket box on. These bars are just temporary until I fab the forever rack. (Side note, if anyone is looking for an Ironman 6ft steel flat/hybrid platform lemme know)
F05E7902-CAA7-4A21-89B0-140F0AE3F611.jpeg
2037B215-183B-44CF-B0D8-C4ED708F7BDC.jpeg
FA781DFB-3EBA-46FC-A8BC-CCE705228EE8.jpeg

If you'd like a more finished look, go to McMaster-Carr and look at their cap ends for that aluminum tubing:
They should have your size.

If you'd like a more finished look, go to McMaster-Carr and look at their cap ends for that aluminum tubing:
They should have your size.
Already on it! I have an assortment of circular end caps but I’m on the hunt for rectangular ones. Makes a big difference with wind sounds

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom