gx460 ebay rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any experience with one of these ebay rear bumpers? Seems semi-legit. I'm sure there are some flaws, but it's a decent price, looks good + ships for free. Link below:

1652125786464.png

I'd seen that in the past, and thought it very similar, looks-wise, to the Dobinsons bumper. Given @Bang Bang 's experience with the (lack of) protection offered, I'll pass, even at that bargain-basement price...

I'd seen that in the past, and thought it very similar, looks-wise, to the Dobinsons bumper. Given @Bang Bang 's experience with the (lack of) protection offered, I'll pass, even at that bargain-basement price...

Pretty sure I have my issue figured out. Dobinson's uses slotted holes (I assume to make install easier for any bolt hole tolerance issues in the frame) where it mounts. I need to pull the wing back down and see if it can be tightened any further. No matter what though, I am getting rid of it soon. For easy forest roads and true overlanding this bumper is fine if you can deal with the double swing. If you plan to do ANY rock trails I would absolutely reconsider.

Do you have a link to a thread describing the issue? Guessing the bumper moved due to an impact?

Anyone have any experience with one of these ebay rear bumpers? Seems semi-legit. I'm sure there are some flaws, but it's a decent price, looks good + ships for free. Link below:

View attachment 3004571

The feed back is 95.5% Positive feedback, which for Ebay is pretty low. Normal is usually 99.5% or higher.
I'd go through and see what all the negative comments are and what they relate to.
If the comments are from idiots who don't know which end of the bolt the nut goes on, then I wouldn't worry too much. On the other hand if they're regarding build quality, shipping times, damage, quality, etc. then I'd probably stay away, unless you're good at fixing/altering.

Last edited:
@MotoDave, correct. I was in a trail at Jambo. It is rated a 3 out of 5 so it had some stretches of rock but nothing crazy. I had made it through a difficult section and was exiting when I came off a rock and the back end smacked down on it. The wing of the bumper was pushed up into the body of the rig. I managed to pop most of the clips back in to reattach most of the rear quarter panel.

DF82567C-DE0F-49AF-B086-DDF0EBFA7A07.jpeg
91B17E5A-F893-42A7-B970-9D419F76F789.jpeg

thanks for the responses fellas.

definitely sorry to see your experience @Bang Bang - not cool. i've run cheap armor in the past and even it has held up better than that.

i am mostly wanting a good place to mount my oversized spare and to improve departure angle somewhat. i don't do any hardcore crawling, but i do drag hitch on some of the trails i hit.

this thing is basically the cost of a Rigd ultraswing tire carrier AND i'd be getting some "protection" and clearance, so i'm strongly considering it. the biggest thing keeping me away is the relatively low ebay rating of the seller (@r2m) and the almost certain lack of customer support if things go sideways.

i did see some guys in the gx470 forum have got a similar ebay bumper and had relative success

i'll keep everyone posted

Tubing are stronger than plate. Like most slider are 0.120 wall DOM and they are plenty strong. Hybrid tube bumper is what is needed but it's hard to make tubing match the style of plate bumper.

Most of this plate bumper are not fully boxed. They need like 1" clearance to the body. If you try to keep the gap low to look nicer it would get hit when the frame / bumper flex.
To make the bumper really rigid would make it super heavy.

definitely sorry to see your experience @Bang Bang - not cool. i've run cheap armor in the past and even it has held up better than that.
The good news is that I didn't pay directly for the bumper (it was on the rig when I bought it) and the friend I bought the rig from made me a sweet deal. So, I'm not that upset I guess but I was going to get rid of the Dobinson's before this happened anyway due to the dual swing outs. It is a pain in the ass so make sure you're good with having to open both swing outs and the gate EVERY DAMN TIME YOU NEED SOMETHING OUT OF THE BACK THAT YOU CAN'T GET THROUGH THE OPEN WINDOW!!

The good news is that I didn't pay directly for the bumper (it was on the rig when I bought it) and the friend I bought the rig from made me a sweet deal. So, I'm not that upset I guess but I was going to get rid of the Dobinson's before this happened anyway due to the dual swing outs. It is a pain in the ass so make sure you're good with having to open both swing outs and the gate EVERY DAMN TIME YOU NEED SOMETHING OUT OF THE BACK THAT YOU CAN'T GET THROUGH THE OPEN WINDOW!!

haha man. yeah, that is not something i am excited about. i use my trunk a lot (groceries, strollers, etc). it's one of the other factors keeping me from wanting to get a hitch tire carrier or bumper with a tire carrier as opposed to something like the JW Offroad rear mount. I wish I could fit a damn 33 in the stock location...

I have the 470 model, look almost exactly the same. The brand stamped on it is "EAS"

It survived getting rear ended by a Silverado 2500. The tailgate was destroyed. Still a little bent up but works fine. Can't speak to hitting rocks with it, but anything will bend like that, even Dobinsons, though they likely use better steel.

On the ebay bumper, rust will come soon, it's a low quality powdercoat, and likely low quality steel.

For the price? Decent.

Would I buy it again? No. Mainly because swingout bumpers are f'n stupid and a real pain in the ass to open regularly.

Last edited:
I have the 470 model, look almost exactly the same. The brand stamped on it is "EAS"

It survived getting rear ended by a Silverado 2500. The tailgate was destroyed. Still a little bent up but works fine. Can't speak to hitting rocks with it, but anything will bend like that, even Dobinsons, though they likely use better steel.

On the ebay bumper, rust will come soon, it's a low quality powdercoat, and likely low quality steel.

For the price? Decent.

Would I buy it again? No. Mainly because swingout bumpers are f'n stupid and a real pain in the ass to open regularly.

good points all around - really appreciate the first hand perspective

i had an "ebay" bumper on my last tacoma - can definitely relate to the cheap powdercoat + cheap steel statement

haha man. yeah, that is not something i am excited about. i use my trunk a lot (groceries, strollers, etc). it's one of the other factors keeping me from wanting to get a hitch tire carrier or bumper with a tire carrier as opposed to something like the JW Offroad rear mount. I wish I could fit a damn 33 in the stock location...
Yep, I ordered the JW simply because I could not stand the idea of dealing with a swingout.

33's are overrated for a lot of reasons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom