GX 460 to Prado Conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, I have been researching this subject for months now. I haven't found very much except for a few parts replacements like tail lights and lower "skirt" areas. My biggest concern is the entire front clip area.

Yes, I know it'll probably cost 6-8k or even more. I really like the current 2019+ Prado design. I just got back from a country that had quite a few of them and adored the way they look. And we got to use the Prado 120s overseas 10 years ago whenever I was deployed over there. The 3.0 wasn't that powerful, but it was a fun truck, nonetheless.

But, are there any out there in the USA? Has anyone done the full conversion? Are there any pics or builds that have completed it? Is it all plug-and-play?

Thank you!
Justin

Yup. Ive been watching that one for months. Im just getting ready to buy now.
Did you end up doing the conversion? I have parts on order coming mid March to do this conversion. I tried contacting the guy who started but never got back to me. We’ll see what happens.

Did you end up doing the conversion? I have parts on order coming mid March to do this conversion. I tried contacting the guy who started but never got back to me. We’ll see what happens.
No. I never found enough info and just ended up getting a 200. I may still get an older 460 and do the conversion later on. I just want to see that it can be done first.

Please document your conversion. I’d love to see if it can be done.

No. I never found enough info and just ended up getting a 200. I may still get an older 460 and do the conversion later on. I just want to see that it can be done first.

Based on research and what already confirmed by green bow, the parts should bolt up as it is same chassis. You would need to replace some parts like bumper brackets and so forth for things to bolt on. I ordered a kit for a really good price. So we’ll see what happens. I have all the genuine Toyota part numbers as well all the way down to screws.
6C17CDA2-5492-40B3-AC87-BB1B217F571E.jpeg

Maybe a dumb question (and sorry to hijack your thread) but speaking of Prado conversations does anyone know if the Prado rear hatch door is a bolt-on replacement? Wondering if the tire on the Prado door makes the contact points to the actual Prado stronger/reinforced more than our GX’s? I wouldn’t mind relocating the spare tire from down under to the outback. (Overlanding puns are fun)

Based on research and what already confirmed by green bow, the parts should bolt up as it is same chassis. You would need to replace some parts like bumper brackets and so forth for things to bolt on. I ordered a kit for a really good price. So we’ll see what happens. I have all the genuine Toyota part numbers as well all the way down to screws. I’m mostly active on instagramView attachment 2596509
Maybe a dumb question (and sorry to hijack your thread) but speaking of Prado conversations does anyone know if the Prado rear hatch door is a bolt-on replacement? Wondering if the tire on the Prado door makes the contact points to the actual Prado stronger/reinforced more than our GX’s? I wouldn’t mind relocating the spare tire from down under to the outback. (Overlanding puns are fun)
Based on what I’ve researched if fenders, bumpers fit perfectly I’d assume it would be the same for the rear door. It’s same exact chassis. Only thing about rear door it would cost a nice chunk of change to ship one out used and cost even more if you pieced together a brand new one. I almost considers getting one but I’m going 35s so my spare won’t fit. Just pull the trigger! LOL jk, kinda.

Based on research and what already confirmed by green bow, the parts should bolt up as it is same chassis. You would need to replace some parts like bumper brackets and so forth for things to bolt on. I ordered a kit for a really good price. So we’ll see what happens. I have all the genuine Toyota part numbers as well all the way down to screws. View attachment 2596509
Could you share where you got it and rough price point? There is another read happening now where mattgold is doing it to his rig

Could you share where you got it and rough price point? There is another read happening now where mattgold is doing it to his rig
Nice I’ve been looking for others who were doing the conversion. Thanks for letting me know. I’m now following @mattgold thread. The kit ran me $1500 shipped by sea freight to California. That covers all shipping, customs, isf and other fees too. The supplier is from China. If you wanted all Genuine Toyota parts I have all the part numbers as well but will cost maybe quadruple or more for a similar kit. Even though I’ve ordered the kit I’m still considering a genuine Toyota front Prado 150 bumper as it has headlight washer and parking sensors cut outs that coincide with the gx460 features. We’ll see what mattgold has encountered and I’ll share my experience as well. I have several guys who are waiting for my build as they’re interested and want to know what is needed to get this conversion to work. Let’s see what happens.

Nice I’ve been looking for others who were doing the conversion. Thanks for letting me know. I’m now following @mattgold thread. The kit ran me $1500 shipped by sea freight to California. That covers all shipping, customs, isf and other fees too. The supplier is from China. If you wanted all Genuine Toyota parts I have all the part numbers as well but will cost maybe quadruple or more for a similar kit. Even though I’ve ordered the kit I’m still considering a genuine Toyota front Prado 150 bumper as it has headlight washer and parking sensors cut outs that coincide with the gx460 features. We’ll see what mattgold has encountered and I’ll share my experience as well. I have several guys who are waiting for my build as they’re interested and want to know what is needed to get this conversion to work. Let’s see what happens.
Awesome, it's great to see not one but two different prado builds. Hopefully I can get mine started soon. Excited to see your progress soon

I'm real excited about this... I'm currently in San Felipe headed home, having spent the last month wandering Baja, and I'd like to get rid of the Lexus badging and the chrome grill...it's a little too flash down here for my liking.

I'm real excited about this... I'm currently in San Felipe headed home, having spent the last month wandering Baja, and I'd like to get rid of the Lexus badging and the chrome grill...it's a little too flash down here for my liking.
If you're wandering around in Mexico, you may want to "wander" into some Toyota dealerships and start purchasing Prado parts for your rig!
It'll save you shipping and maybe the monetary exchange cost. I'd try for the big items that cost for shipping like bumpers and grill. Just strap them to your roof rack or even purchase a real cheap, light weight trailer.

Last edited:
If you're wondering around in Mexico, you may want to "wander" into some Toyota dealerships and start purchasing Prado parts for your rig!
It'll save you shipping and maybe the monetary exchange cost. I'd try for the big items that cost for shipping like bumpers and grill. Just strap them to your roof rack or even purchase a real cheap, light weight trailer.

THAT is a fantastic idea. I wonder if we could get the running board "delete" parts that way too?

If you're wondering around in Mexico, you may want to "wander" into some Toyota dealerships and start purchasing Prado parts for your rig!
The prado is not offered in Mexico at least from what I can see on their website? Do you think you can still buy parts for it there?

Here is one approach to evoking the global prado family tree:

1614488811149.png

Front end view. On the door handle and bump strip chrome I had that masked with vinyl wrap. (And I do like the fold in mirror feature for tight trails!)

1614489133154.png

I may take the blackout / rear badging approach for the meantime... I never felt threatened in any way, but I didn't really enjoy the conversations with the military in Baja that began, 'wow, a lexus, that must be so expensive! how much did it cost?' Where did you get your rear badges? I want to do this ASAP.

I may take the blackout / rear badging approach for the meantime... I never felt threatened in any way, but I didn't really enjoy the conversations with the military in Baja that began, 'wow, a lexus, that must be so expensive! how much did it cost?' Where did you get your rear badges? I want to do this ASAP.
I agree with getting it done before your next trip down. Next time it may not be the military that asks those questions, but bandits. I've done many surf trips down there, between Ensenada and the border and have had many issues with both locals and police. Funny thing is, we weren't doing anything wrong! We were just a bunch of Christian surfers, so no drugs, booze or anything else that would raise a red flag. Some time ago (15 years?) down there, some good friends of ours were raided, held a gun to my friends son head and took one of their vehicles. Always gotta be careful down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom