Guidance for the VA Registration Process? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hugh Heifer

Less than 90 days!
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.stlca.org
Well guys, I think I have put it off long enough. Since I have recently heard of some "presumptive conditions" related to serving in theater during Gulf 1, I decided, as a 50+ year old preparing for retirement from Federal civilian service, I should get over to the VA and get registered.

I was VaNG 224 Combat Aviation and was activated and went to theater in mid to late 1991. I was attached to the 158th Avn and then to suplort a bunch of different Divisions during the exodus in late 1991. I spent a couple hundred hours riding in my UH-60 in oil fire smoke, wandering around burning barrels of shït and, as a special treat, my appendix was removed in a Kuwaiti hospital near Camp Doha by a Kuwati med team. I have no service related issues that I specifically recall and few other doc visits. (Well, maybe a couple things but who knows what the results would be if those were reviewed or where the med records may reside at this point.)

What is one's best course of action to start this process?
Go to the local VFW and find a guru?
Go to the local VA office for a run around?

I started this thread to get you guys who have been through it to tell anyone (like me) who could benefit about what you learned during your registration process in order to make it as efficient (yeah right), painless, and beneficial as possible to a veteran who is looking to register.

Post thoughts, helpful links or otherwise bring it. :beer:

All you’re trying to do is register for medical exams and treatment at the VA hospital? If so, just go to the hospital with your DD214.

Contact your local DAV. They've been the most helpful.
I had not thought of that. :cheers:

Edit: looks like the closest DAV is 2 hours away. I think the local post disbannded. It will required some research.

Last edited:
Yours is a bit of a tough nut to crack, but yes, the DAV is your best bet. Also check for AmVets--they offer the same service, and can be just as good as the DAV.

Concurrent actions are always more efficient, so also get started with the VA. You'll need to sign up for an account at VA.gov. Also a DS logon account will help give you access to all of the different websites you'll need to access. Should be easy enough to do if you don't already have one since you likely have a current DOD ID number (EDIPI)

You'll want to upload your DD-214 to the VA.gov and also see if they have anything on file for your medical records. They might not have anything, but they are supposed to, so worth looking.

If you happen to have any of your records from back then, anything helps. Written statements from people you served with or family members can also help corroborate things for the VA. Case in point, a sleep apnea case has been proved via a statement from the veteran's ex wife about how he slept while he was on active duty. Not saying this is the best way, but any documentation that you can come up with is helpful.

If you run into issues, hit me up via PM and I can help walk you through it via phone.

@Hugh Heifer

So I dug into this a little bit and had a few thoughts:

1. Go ahead and sign up on the burn pit registry--based on your description, you need to be on it. Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pit Registry - https://veteran.mobilehealth.va.gov/AHBurnPitRegistry/index.html#page/home

2. Based on your info above, you'll likely be in priority group 6, which is decent, but If you can get a disability rating of even 10%, It will bump you up to priority group 3 and reduce your healthcare costs to nearly zero. Info on priority groups here:
and copays here:

3. I spoke with a coworker who is a desert storm era vet and also has some reserve experience--supposedly, you should have been handed your medical record whenever you did your out-processing. I know you've moved around a bit since then, so those records may be gone

4. Registered VSOs in GA are at the following link.
of note, there may be some other folks who can help you with the process, but these ones are allowed by law to fill out a claim for you.

5. Getting a 10% rating is time consuming but worth it in the end. The following link is a list of Veterans benefits specific to GA. As you can see, there are some significant benefits whether you have a disability rating or not. I wouldn't get hung up on the fact that you were Virginia ANG--I expect that they'll be very accommodating.

Also, @Cornhusker may be able to fill in some GA specific things as he has gone through the process relatively recently.

Anyhow, this should get you started--I'm happy to help if you get hung up somewhere.

I started working on my registration process.
The first thing I needed was to get on the VA page. In order to do that I was required to get a "DS Logon"
That was simple but took over an hour since they thought they could text a verifification code to my office number from 10 years ago. I was also told, due to my age and service dates, if I needed records I would need to go through the National Archives.
More to follow.

I started working on my registration process.
The first thing I needed was to get on the VA page. In order to do that I was required to get a "DS Logon"
That was simple but took over an hour since they thought they could text a verifification code to my office number from 10 years ago. I was also told, due to my age and service dates, if I needed records I would need to go through the National Archives.
More to follow.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with the VA this year for my retirement. I'm considering just hiring someone.

Why? Go to the DAV... It's free.

Does DAV work with people remotely? I'm planning on retiring from overseas (Sept '23)

I don't want to do my VA stuff in-person in Europe. I hear it's a disaster. I'll probably go to my va appointments during Skillbridge (if I can find a company that's interesting). Otherwise, I'll take leave and go to the US.

Does DAV work with people remotely? I'm planning on retiring from overseas (Sept '23)

I don't want to do my VA stuff in-person in Europe. I hear it's a disaster. I'll probably go to my va appointments during Skillbridge (if I can find a company that's interesting). Otherwise, I'll take leave and go to the US.

Honestly that's a question for them.
But when I retired inwas deployed and sent home for the last 30 days. I did my stuff with the DAV while on terminal leave.

So far the only thing I have done successfully is get my DSLogon.
You should be able to get on to VA.gov now. Click through the menus to "file a claim" and then print the form to take with you to the DAV. As far as getting your records from the archives, I have no experience with that, so I am not any help--this would be a question for the DAV as well. They don't exist just to help you fill out your claim, they can help with almost everything you might need as a disabled veteran. If they don't know the answer in house, they typically know where to go to get the answer.

You can hire someone, and it typically is a worthwhile investment, but you will still need to be seen by a doctor for your C&P exams. Some of those companies can do virtual appointments, but you'll still need to put in the work required to get your records and gather any info that can't be assessed virtually--x-rays, MRIs, ultrasound, etc. Unfortunately, this is a pain when overseas, but well worth the time/pain.

If you spend a couple thousand dollars in airfare and lodging and gain 2k-3k per month for the rest of your life.... easy decision.

You can hire someone, and it typically is a worthwhile investment, but you will still need to be seen by a doctor for your C&P exams. Some of those companies can do virtual appointments, but you'll still need to put in the work required to get your records and gather any info that can't be assessed virtually--x-rays, MRIs, ultrasound, etc. Unfortunately, this is a pain when overseas, but well worth the time/pain.

If you spend a couple thousand dollars in airfare and lodging and gain 2k-3k per month for the rest of your life.... easy decision.
Right on. That's what I'm thinking too.
I'll talk to the VA guy in May when I go to TAPS. 👍🏻

So, I did a little interweb digging, and it looks like you can request your records from the national archives at this link:
Yep. That is correct. This depends on your discharge date. Like me who left in '95 this is where I need to go. I had just learned about this last week while registering fir my logon. I should have posted up. My brother's ex tossed all his records so he is doing this too. I think he ETSed in like 86'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom