Group Buy Opportunity: Torro Offroad Hard Shell Roof Top Tent. 10-15% discount. 7 Feb deadline (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any forum deals for this tent? Seems to be nice. Would like more information on
1. ruggedized hard top. What is this material ABS or ABS with fibreglass?
2. Have they added the locking mechanism?

Any updates?
Well, it finally showed up. Several things impacted this order. One was COVID, the other was issues with the shipper. I'm not sure what happened with the shipper, but I think Corey, the owner of Torro Off-road, was trying offset the delay from the China lockdown and resulting manufacturing slowdowns while minimizing the costs of shipping. Whatever happened, the shipping got way screwed up and it took forever for KML to get the shipment stateside, then through customs and to my local UPS distributor.
Regardless of the issues, many of which couldn't be helped- COVID lockdowns shipping delays, etc...the end result is a very nice tent with lots of extras that make it definitely worth the wait.
The packaging was excellent, and despite some damage to the cardboard, there was no damage to the tent or the box of accessories.
I mounted and set it up today, including setting up the awning. I haven't found so much as a missed stitch after thorough inspection. As far as I can tell, the initial quality is top notch.
We got a bit of rain this afternoon and the tent and the awning don't show any signs of leaking. I will check it again in the AM and report any leaks.
The extra goodies include:
An large full sided annex , WITH A AN ADDITIONAL ZIP-IN PVC FLOOR - this is a huge plus IMHO, since it means no mud under the ladder in the event of rain; a large water proof awning, covered hanging shoe pouch and accessories pouch which slide into the rails under the floor, they are easy to access from the tent; there is also a bonus 48"x6" pouch with a waterproof zipper that slides into the rails - I haven't figured out what to use this for yet, but it will, no doubt, come in handy for stashing random things. The awning comes in a drawstring bag with 4 extendable poles, 6 tent stakes and 6 orange guy ropes. The annex comes in a roomy zippered duffel bag with 2 poles and several guy ropes and stakes. My thought is that the annex and awning are intended to share poles. If you study the picture of the awning below, you'll notice that there are two eyelets in the awning that could use the poles from the annex, though I just guyed them down with the additional guy lines and stakes supplied with the annex. The PVC annex floor comes in a drawstring bag as well, it is heavy. Oh, and there is also a cold weather quilt lining in a drawstring as well.
Honestly, the only critique I have is the "locks" for the top. They are probably only good for keeping the top closed in the event the Velcro fails. They are nothing more than a vent aluminum box with some wire. It can be easily pried open or the wire pried from the lower clasp to open the tent. I don't see a reason for the locks other than just to ensure the tent stays closed.
so, my first impression of the tent is extremely positive. I am excited to test it out tomorrow night with my daughter, after letting the materials "offgas" over night and throughout the day tomorrow.
IMG_20200712_151519.jpg
IMG_20200712_162324.jpg
IMG_20200712_162349.jpg
IMG_20200712_190449.jpg
IMG_20200712_190459.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for updating the thread with the tent information. How was the rugged hard top. What material was added to make it more rugged. The owner seems to be a genuine person. How was mattress quality. Did you get a chance to test in wind/rain/snow? Would love to hear more. I'll most probably buy this. I liked ikamper because of original design.

The shell is a thick "pebbled" ABS plastic. I can't tell if it is fiber reinforced, but it is plenty thick and sturdy, with very little to no torsional flex when opening and closing the shell. The mattress is very firm, yet not stiff. I hope to get a night or 2 sleeping in it in the next couple weeks.
It seems the annex with floor will be an add-on package option. The price difference between the 2 packages is only $197, so a good bit of savings over purchasing the annex separately later.
Even without the annex, I believe this is still an outstanding value, given that the insulation quilting and awning are included in the package. The awning was super easy to set up and I can see using that much more frequently than the annex.

It's good to see that there were some design changes from the Demo one. They've made the shell more aero-dynamic. Did they add the locks?

It's good to see that there were some design changes from the Demo one. They've made the shell more aero-dynamic. Did they add the locks?
Yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them "locks" they will likely suffice to keep the top from flipping open if the velcro side straps aren't secured. However, they certainly won't keep someone from getting in. A firm pull on the latch or a pull down on the wire/ bar is all it takes.

How is the tent hold up? Any second thought? I'm looking at torro, tuffstuffs, toofnest and ikamper (not in my budget). Thank you.

So far so good. It's been in the rain a few times and stayed bone dry. The only "issue" i have is with the mattress, but it seems a common issue with RTTs. It is a bit thin, so it doesn't support well enough, especially when laying on my side. So I used some interlocking foam mats layed under the mattress for a little bit of firm padding under the softer mattress. It made all the difference. I don't feel the hard aluminum bottom. I was able to close the tent with it installed on the main section. I didn't try to close it with it installed on the folding part, but that's because I didn't have time to install the velcro to hold it in place.
I have only used the awning so far, but it was easy to set up and quick to fold up as well.

I am very happy with the tent and it is a hell of a value compared to the Ikamper.

So far so good. It's been in the rain a few times and stayed bone dry. The only "issue" i have is with the mattress, but it seems a common issue with RTTs. It is a bit thin, so it doesn't support well enough, especially when laying on my side. So I used some interlocking foam mats layed under the mattress for a little bit of firm padding under the softer mattress. It made all the difference. I don't feel the hard aluminum bottom. I was able to close the tent with it installed on the main section. I didn't try to close it with it installed on the folding part, but that's because I didn't have time to install the velcro to hold it in place.
I have only used the awning so far, but it was easy to set up and quick to fold up as well.

I am very happy with the tent and it is a hell of a value compared to the Ikamper.
Thank you for your valuable feedback. Happy camping

This is very interesting thread; I saw the TORRO RTT set up a while back, before my buddy @alia176 sent me this link. The OP is very articulate, and while clearly excited about the product, I believe he's got 'no horse on the race' other than being happy with a solid deal for himself (Not sure why the jousting on the first few threads, but it was nothing more than a distraction; once I ran out of pop corn, I lost interest!:rofl:)

So I too am looking at the larger-sized hard-shell RTTs (exclusively), and once you really dive into it, you see that a LOT of the "different" available RTTs are very much re-labeled products with strong ties to China in one form or another. By now, I think we all associate Chinese-made products with lesser quality stuff (to be diplomatic here), and it is what it is. For years it was awesome to buy a big, fat sledge hammer for $3.99, or a welder for $79.99...until it wasn't. I also think we are all well on our way back to 'you get what you pay for' mentality.

The TuffStuff Apha, Roofnest, and other viable options are really, really expensive. RTTs are super trendy now:rolleyes:, and the prices clearly reflect this. I-Kamper has become my go-to first choice because it has all the options and features I was/am looking for. It's Korean made and like other Korean brands, their quality is very well documented as being "good" these days. Unfortunately, it also has a stupid high crazy price tag @ $3,900+ and it does have a couple of shortcomings, namely the hefty weight, and the already-discussed placement of the shoe bags, half-way hidden UNDER the fold out section of the RTT. It is for all purposes unusable FROM the tent. I guess you can easily resolve this by stopping half way up the ladder and taking your shoes off and dropping them into the bags, but I don't know how you'd retrieve them on your way down (??). Details, just details in the end, but everything counts if you're gonna drop 4K+

So fast forward to this thread and TORRO RTTs. OP speaks highly of the owner, which is nice to hear. How many "owners" do we get to know or hear about? Seems like the guy cares about his product and his business. The measurements appear to be the very same (Incl the 12.5" height of the hard shell when closed??), and the overall options and features appear to be very similar (Ikamper has 3 layers on the windows: mesh, clear 'glass', and rain fly cover)

I think I might be interested in a group buy at this point. The discounted price, the product's info on their website, and the OP insights are making me think this way.
Are we able to get an update on his stock situation? Freight issues resolved (We still jacked with COVID)? Any updates or upgrades to the materials, like the latches?? Is this particular piece something that COULD be replaced with better latches locally? (how many of us tweak with stuff just to mess with it, right?

Anyway, to make an already way-too-long- story short, r u guys pushing for a group buy? I'd be interested.

Well, I'm starting to get the pieces...Rhino Rack Backbone base is here. 3.5" overall height (with the Vortex cross bars attached!) and 50 lbs NOT BAD at all! And to tie up from earlier, I guess those "lose ties" we were all discussing earlier about Chinese products being crap, I present you: Rhino Rack! TA DAAAAAA!

Rhino1.jpg

Rhino2.jpg

Rhino3.jpg

Well boys, IF it matters to anybody, I do believe these TORRO RTTs are at least a very "fair deal" (let's not forget ALL RTTs in general are crazy expensive these days, and as discussed Ad nauseam here and everywhere else, almost ALL of them have many (if not all!) Chinese components to them too)
This package includes a few added options which are usually a good bit extra $$ on most other brands, IF even available. Anyway since we let this possible group buy die in the planning stage, I'm about to pull the trigger on my own.
I've been in communication with the company, and I can tell you from PERSONAL experience now, at least their customer service is phenomenal.
The purpose of this post, was to update you guys on the "latch questions" that had come up earlier; here is their response:

"Good morning Carlos,
Below are the answers to your questions:
1. For the next batch of tents, we have installed both the Velcro straps and the stainless steel locks and keys for optimum security even when driving at highway speed.
2. Yes, the Skylux RTT package includes the Awning and the insulation (...edit unrelated content here...Storage bag and show bag)
3. Our current production lead time is 8 to 10 weeks. We notify customers in case of unexpected shipping delays, and you will receive your tracking number when your tent is out for delivery"

I've been doing research for months now, and I keep coming back to this set up. Happy hunting. I'll update ya'all later if anybody cares.

@JCS2179 Dang I missed the sale. How much did you get it for? I'm wondering whether they would be able to substitute an annex room instead of an awning.

@JCS2179 Dang I missed the sale. How much did you get it for? I'm wondering whether they would be able to substitute an annex room instead of an awning.

I went back and forth at least 679 times over the holidays; I was patient waiting for their 'flash' sales and promo codes. Between IG offers, subscribing to their FB group (still growing) and subscribing to their website email list they'll keep you in mind and if you play the game, you'll end up with a solid deal. To answer you question, I was out the door shipped $2,900. This price includes the insulation panels, the awning AND shipping to you; The RTT itself comes with LED lighting (inside and out) and a shoe bag + a storage bag, The fabric is also 280gsm. Just sayin'.
As far as "substituting" an annex for an awning, I doubt it. They are 2 VERY different products with 2 VERY different price points. It's like asking the waitress to "substitute" the fries with a side of steak and shrimp LOL. BUT, I'll say this: reach out directly to them through their website's email and ask for a bundle pricing with what you want. They will absolutely TRY to work with you and entice you with mix-match sales and promo codes.

On a side note, I just received email notification the RTTs are landing in Cali'fornia on January 25, and they'll start shipping out by 1/28. This is almost to the date in between their "8-10 week delivery promise." Can't compaint at all. We'll see how all this turns out. I will update once I get it and I'm all set. I ended it up buying this particular RTT because I believed in the owner and his family business. I'm crystal clear ALL these industries' toys are over priced now adays, and like it or not, they ALL have significant association with Chinese manufacturing (yes, even IK does!) I bought into HIM + perceived quality + some reviews + price point + included options + delivery promise. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom