Group buy logistics & best practices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mulebarn

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi friends,

I'm organizing a group buy for 5-10 200 Series bumpers from Rhino 4x4 in Australia to be distributed around the US when they land. For those of you who have done this sort of thing with a bulky item like a bumper, what are some ways you've organized logistics once they're in the states? I'm in the Portland, OR area, and other buyers are scattered around the country. I don't own a shop or anything like that, so shipping on this side is a bit of a mystery at this point.

Thanks in advance for any tips on how to do this most efficiently, both in terms of collecting payment from everyone, and shipping once the bumpers are stateside.

Get the dimensions and weight of each box from the vendor. Then post those dims and have the buyers arrange their own shipping from your location/freight hub. When it comes to shipping everyone has their own idea of what a fair price is... so let them deal with it. Shipping is usually the deal breaker in larger buys when scattered over several guys on LARGE/HEAVY freight.

Since you are in OR you could also take those dims and run a what-if to say MAINE (worst rates out there for west coasters to ship to) and tell the buyers shipping will be " UP TO $XYZ ".

Don't be surprised to see 300-800.00 for a bumper if you/they are not a heavy shipper. Dims and weight will more than likely throw it out of "ground" services as well.

Also look at buying the bumpers from someone else (a Rhino distributor) instead of direct, they get deeper discounts and will pass more saving along with larger orders than Rhino will. About 5 months ago I was quoted 2633.00 SHIPPED to my door from one of their distributors for the 2016 + bumper if I bought 3 or more from them.

I really liked the bumper until I found out the shell wasn't even an 1/8" thick. Works for some, but not my customers.

GL

J

• Have your import documentation and estimates for clearing fees sorted out well in advance of container leaving AU. You'll prob need an export & import agent that can handle the shipment on both ends: Expeditors Int'l, Panalpina or anyone that you can negotiate a reasonable rate from that will handle on both ends.
  • Knowing your shipping and import costs, set your group buy price. Get a non refundable deposit 20%+ ( or what ever number makes sense if buyer skates and your stuck holding the bumper) from every buyer before you place the order.
  • Once you have dim's on each bumper on a pallet; suggest carrier options to buyers let them handle on their own with "time frame" in mind. Upcharge if you to handle shipping vs buyer organizing on their own. Freightquote.com is a good place to start, I've used YRC.com, Roadway successfully on cross country shipments of bumpers, skids, sliders etc. If you have a loading dock that helps keep rates down, and if buyer opts for terminal pick up ( they go to local terminal to collect the pallet) this will save $$.
  • s*** happens: ports go on strike, shipments get delayed, containers get stuck in customs for extended periods of time: set expectations ahead of time so folks dont get wound up when it doesn't go as planned.
You'll probably find that in the end, that organizing a group buy from a US based fabricator- (like one of several excellent supporting Mud vendors) will probably save you time, money and heartburn. Either way good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom