Group 31 Battery options revisited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hamishpotter

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been looking through 'Mud and some other sites and don't seem to find current information on Group 31 AGM battery options.

Sears no longer makes the 'Mud favorite Diehard Platinum AGM 31. They had a gold, but it's no longer shown online. I'm not as familiar with the other options, though I've heard Northstar are very nice, yet expensive.

Does anyone have intel or a recommendation for an affordable AGM Group 31 with 1000+ CCA and around 200 minute RC?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I missed a recent post.

James

I had the same conundrum. Ended up going with the Carquest Platinum AGM.

Can't give a long term opinion as I just installed it last June, but my rig sits quite a bit (sometimes weeks) and it has fired right up every time this winter - even a few times in single digits.

Im not using this in a group 31 with a 48 month full replacement, but i use the smaller version and have no issues and it has 60 month full replacement warranty. Will go this route when dual battery setup goes in.

group 31
SLI31AGMDPM - X2Power Battery Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) BCI Group 31M Marine and Boat at Batteries Plus Bulbs

One i went with
SLI24FAGMDP - X2Power Battery for 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser L6 4.5L 450CCA US Car and Truck at Batteries Plus Bulbs

The group 31 X2 seems to have identical specs as the Odyssey PC2150, can it also be a rebadged Odyssey like the Sears Dierhard Platinums?

Just a suggestion here...I bought a econo AGM Group 31 battery from my local Interstate store for $40. I dont have any specs on it other than it has a 1 year warranty. But I'm sure it would fit your requirements and the price was right.

Just a suggestion here...I bought a econo AGM Group 31 battery from my local Interstate store for $40. I dont have any specs on it other than it has a 1 year warranty. But I'm sure it would fit your requirements and the price was right.

Was this used or damaged in some way? My Interstate guy has some cheap scratch and dent kind of stuff, so maybe that's what this was? Forty bucks seems too good to be true...

The way I understood it was the econo batteries are "remanufactured" and there are no labels on them indicating brand. The battery I bought was for commercial vehicles as it has threaded posts. We've been using these in our work trucks for years without any problems.

Im not using this in a group 31 with a 48 month full replacement, but i use the smaller version and have no issues and it has 60 month full replacement warranty. Will go this route when dual battery setup goes in.

group 31
SLI31AGMDPM - X2Power Battery Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) BCI Group 31M Marine and Boat at Batteries Plus Bulbs

One i went with
SLI24FAGMDP - X2Power Battery for 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser L6 4.5L 450CCA US Car and Truck at Batteries Plus Bulbs

I went with their 27F offering for the '93 here - fits well without having to mangle the case or the tray...

I have the X2 POWER in my 80. I love it! Affordable might not be the word for it but the 5 year warranty is worth it I think...

I saw the X2 at Batteries + Bulbs yesterday. That will be my next battery when my Diehard Plat. Plus dies. Added benefit of not having to trim the case to fit from what I can tell.

Thanks for all of your input..

I currently have the Sears Gold AGM group 34, $159 retail (Sears.com), which hits a pretty good sweet spot, 775 CCA, 120 RC, fits EASILY (actually needed to use included plastic add-on to rise it to the L-bent battery bracket). It's a potent little battery, but since I have a winch, air compressor, and power inverter I'm thinking I'd like to go group 31 with my Antigravity LiIon starter battery as backup. It looks like I'm in the $300 range if I'd like over 1000 CCA and 200 RC ballpark. I wish Sears still made their Platinum Group 31. Maybe X2 is the way to go now..

J

Odyssey had a sale not too long ago where the 31-2150 was $333. I pulled the trigger on one of those. But I have seen some online sales since then that were around the same price. Just keep putting that, or any battery you want, into the google machine and I'll bet you find a hot deal soon enough.

Does anyone have any input on Deka batteries? A customer of mine is giving me two series 27 AGM batteries. They aren't cheap retail but for free I can't complain. Normally I wouldn't run AGM because of cost.

He said they have like 1485 CCA AND 1000 hrs or something crazy. I don't know.

I'm going to run a dual battery setup with solar.

Great info here. Any updates?

Get the marine version group 31 X2 and you get the two extra screw terminals for mounting wires.

Off topic in the sense that it's not about the size 31 battery, but I like running a single 27F battery (sized between our OEM 24F and the 31), in an AGM dual purpose flavor. The brand is X2 Power, it's made by Northstar and sold by Batteries Plus. It's 930 CCA and 92 AH reserve capacity, and in the 27F size it just fits in the standard battery tray without any trimming, and the OEM battery hold down works.

It comes with a 5 year full replacement warranty (not prorated), and it's been a powerful beast for me. I run a fridge and do a lot of desert trips. The battery has gotten as low as 12.1 volts over about a day and a half of being parked and running the fridge. At 12.1 volts the battery turns the motor over very fast and it always starts right up. As a backup, I have a NOCO GB70 jump starter battery pack. I think with a good battery and a jump starter it's not necessary to run a second battery, at least for my purposes. Just my two cents, YMMV.

Last edited:
Bumping this one to see if anyone has ever installed a VMAX MR137-120 into the auxiliary tray located on the PS under the hood. I got one brand new for a steal but she seems a bit too big to fit. Any help would be appreciated before I start hacking away at the OEM battery tray.

Last edited:
Continental Group 31 battery from a local Freightliner store, $108. Wet cell and I think a 12 month warranty.

IMG_20221127_140521678~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom