Grom Vline Group Buy Round 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did anyone connect this to a backup camera?
Does the rear video feed kick in automatically when you shift to Reverse?
And then automatically revert back to the media screen when out of Reverse?

Did anyone connect this to a backup camera?
Does the rear video feed kick in automatically when you shift to Reverse?
And then automatically revert back to the media screen when out of Reverse?
Yes, with two caveats - when wired properly, and (at the time of writing) when the CarPlay App is not active on the GROM screen.

There is a pre-cut reverse light wire under the tailgate panel to splice the camera power to.

GROM releases firmware / software updates periodically. It would be good to have the camera take over when CarPlay is active.

Currently, if CarPlay is active when you shift into reverse nothing changes on the screen and in order to activate the camera you need to shift out of reverse exit CarPlay and shift back into reverse.

Boy, that sounds like a pain to get the camera activated if Carplay is already running. Makes me glad I've got the factory camera that just interrupts whatever is on the screen, even though its image isn't great.

Yes, with two caveats - when wired properly, and (at the time of writing) when the CarPlay App is not active on the GROM screen.

There is a pre-cut reverse light wire under the tailgate panel to splice the camera power to.

GROM releases firmware / software updates periodically. It would be good to have the camera take over when CarPlay is active.

Currently, if CarPlay is active when you shift into reverse nothing changes on the screen and in order to activate the camera you need to shift out of reverse exit CarPlay and shift back into reverse.

Ahh dang... thank you for explaining that.

That isn't the case on all of them. Mine does not do that. Mine does what @GatorBait1551's does...

If I'm using CarPlay (active on the screen) and shift to reverse, the backup camera takes over the screen. When I shift back to Drive or Park, the factory map or whatever non-CarPlay mode it was in, replaces the backup camera. To get CarPlay back, I just tap the "Audio" button.

As small of an issue as that is, I do count it as a flaw that needs to be addressed - and do expect GROM is on it.

That isn't the case on all of them. Mine does not do that. Mine does what @GatorBait1551's does...

If I'm using CarPlay (active on the screen) and shift to reverse, the backup camera takes over the screen. When I shift back to Drive or Park, the factory map or whatever non-CarPlay mode it was in, replaces the backup camera. To get CarPlay back, I just tap the "Audio" button.

As small of an issue as that is, I do count it as a flaw that needs to be addressed - and do expect GROM is on it.

I see the same behavior in my 06 LX (w/ factory reverse camera).

This is good news to hear - will troubleshoot my issue when I get some time.

(Edited) Are you using the factory backup camera? I’m currently using an aftermarket camera plugged direct into the VLINE2, which may be the cause of my issue.

Does your truck have factory backup camera, or 3rd party?

Sorry - should've added: 2006; using factory backup camera

I am working with the folks at Grom on another Group buy Vline (VL2) for the LX/GX.( Compare GROM Car Audio Integration Kits).
Please PM me or post if you are interested.
They are willing to discount again.
Pricing will range based on number of units.
Price $599 Retail
Group buy price
5-9 $529.95
10-24 $479.95
25+ $449.95

FREE SHIPPING IN THE USA!
Any chance of doing another group buy?

Hi macadood

I’m not on Facebook but I’m looking for a group-buy opportunity for the grom vl2.
Do you have any info about the Facebook UZJ100 group buy you can share?
You basically have to message a guy through fb messenger. So you could try installing that alone maybe and writing him. The group buy there is going for $469

Hi macadood

I’m not on Facebook but I’m looking for a group-buy opportunity for the grom vl2.
Do you have any info about the Facebook UZJ100 group buy you can share?
Hi, I'm the guy in the Lexus and Toyota Facebook groups organizing the monthly group buy. A few people have told me I should pop in here so that forum members who aren't on FB can message me to join without going through intermediaries. The next window to use the $130 promo code should be in early April -- Grom hasn't set the timing yet, I'll have an exact date by the end of this week and will post back then. Just message me the name and email you'll use to order to join, and I'll put you on the list so you get the code when it's ready.

Wireless Android Auto. Is that a thing with the Grom yet? I can't see any announcement, but I thought that was a planned feature of the VL2.
They're working on it, it seems like Google has a little more work to do on their end to make it stable for most devices, but it should be ready before long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom