Grom BT3 for Bluetooth? Anyone try it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

By the way, I was able to keep using my CD changer, though I will definitely have lesser use of it.

Just installed the VAIS SoundLinq SLB3 on my '06 LC. Works perfect and was able to keep my CD changer. The Bluetooth audio is recognized as a MD changer.

Just a recommendation, get the Toyota or Lexus specific harness. They are different.

Any instructions on how to remove the nav head unit on 03 LC to plug the GROM in the back? pictures would be helpful if someone did take some.

Thanks in Advance.

Any instructions on how to remove the nav head unit on 03 LC to plug the GROM in the back? pictures would be helpful if someone did take some.

Thanks in Advance.

It's almost too simple to even describe in a tech article.

The center cluster trim just pops off by gently prying around the edges.... You can do it with your fingers practically.

Once the large trim piece is off, the head unit is sitting there dead-center with forward facing screws that you remove. The whole unit just slides out from there.

Easy peazy... :)

-G

It's almost too simple to even describe in a tech article.

The center cluster trim just pops off by gently prying around the edges.... You can do it with your fingers practically.

Once the large trim piece is off, the head unit is sitting there dead-center with forward facing screws that you remove. The whole unit just slides out from there.

Easy peazy... :)

-G
Thanks so much !!!!

I don't think the video in question was answered. Can video pass through the GROM usb or bt3 to the Nav?

Also, how does the hands free function? I assume the talk button on the steering wheel of an 2003 does nothing and the hands free is entirely controlled by the phone. Correct?

not sure what you mean by 'pass through' but there is steering wheel control. you can answer a call with (I think) the 'up' button even when the radio's on. there is no touch screen control of the phone on there factory nav, but other than that it works fine.

Finding the grom compatibility guide extremely confusing. Will the BT3 work with a non-nav 2003 land cruiser? thanks in advance if anyone knows

I have a 2001 with no nav (JBL headunit), and just specified in the checkout details that I had no nav. The supplied cables were easy to install and works great. I tucked the unit behind the stock headunit, and routed the mic cable behind the passenger glove box, up the A-pillar, above the headliner, and popping out immediately above the rear-view mirror. The grom unit is easily selectable by pressing the CD button to get to CD2, which serves as AUX. This function worked the same on other previous wired units.

As mentioned, their support is also very helpful.

Thanks guys, I went for it. Now to find head unit removal instructions.

Use an appropriate plastic pry tool (unless you don't mind scratching up stuff), and pry around the bezel of the radio/vent piece (where it seams with the dashboard/dashpad). In my 2001, it's one large piece that also has the dial climate controls/clock as well. It's a friction fit, with some easy plastic friction pieces to hold it in place - with a pry tool, it pops out within seconds. Then I had to unplug 2 or 3 molex connectors (for climate stuff), and you can see the 4 screws that are holding the head unit brackets in place. Removing those carefully (they like to drop down into the depths of the center dash console and get lost forever), and the headunit slides out very easily and can be unplugged (another 2 molexes), and the Grom unit can be plugged into those molexes. A flashlight shined from underneath the pasesnger glove-box will indicate where you can drop the mic cable from the headunit area.

Be sure to plug in the Grom into the head unit then TEST the unit out to ensure connectivity etc, before you put the whole thing back together - in case something doesn't work - to just check out connections etc.

I routed the mic by properly locating the microphone first above the rear view mirror, then hand/finger shoving it between the windshield and headliner (there's a small gap which made it easy), and then behind the A pillar trim (trim required removing the oh-s*** handle and pulling on the trim to remove it). Then I was able to drop it behind the dash to down below the glove box, and then over to the head-unit/center console area. Probably 1 hour all-in, and that was going slowly.

Just installed a GROM IPD4 and bought the Bluetooth Adapter because I wanted a plug in cable for my iPhone and bluetooth. Works great and the install was fairly straight forward...although I wish the cable from the CD port to the Grom box was a little longer...quite a stretch the reach the glove box in my 07.

I had an Audiovox Mediabridge in my GX470 and it worked great playing music through the USB cable; however, through Bluetooth the music was distorted (as many users have reported) and I couldn't ever find a fix.

I'm much happier with the Grom than the mediabridge.

Use an appropriate plastic pry tool (unless you don't mind scratching up stuff), and pry around the bezel of the radio/vent piece (where it seams with the dashboard/dashpad). In my 2001, it's one large piece that also has the dial climate controls/clock as well. It's a friction fit, with some easy plastic friction pieces to hold it in place - with a pry tool, it pops out within seconds. Then I had to unplug 2 or 3 molex connectors (for climate stuff), and you can see the 4 screws that are holding the head unit brackets in place. Removing those carefully (they like to drop down into the depths of the center dash console and get lost forever), and the headunit slides out very easily and can be unplugged (another 2 molexes), and the Grom unit can be plugged into those molexes. A flashlight shined from underneath the pasesnger glove-box will indicate where you can drop the mic cable from the headunit area.

Be sure to plug in the Grom into the head unit then TEST the unit out to ensure connectivity etc, before you put the whole thing back together - in case something doesn't work - to just check out connections etc.

I routed the mic by properly locating the microphone first above the rear view mirror, then hand/finger shoving it between the windshield and headliner (there's a small gap which made it easy), and then behind the A pillar trim (trim required removing the oh-s*** handle and pulling on the trim to remove it). Then I was able to drop it behind the dash to down below the glove box, and then over to the head-unit/center console area. Probably 1 hour all-in, and that was going slowly.

Just received it this morning, had it installed in probably 10 minutes. Thanks for the instructions on the dash pulled everything with my fingers and a phillips head did the rest. If anyone else is thinking about it in a Non-Nav 03 works flawlessly. Also ran a USB cable through the vent for the tablet on my dash looks great.

Hey all - I'm going to bring this back up b/c I'm having problems with this even though it should be pretty straight forward. I can't tell if it's user error or if the Grom that got shipped to me is defective. I have an 01 Lexus LX 470 with the Mark Levinson package with NO navigation. So I took the radio out, and noticed only 1 wiring harness is plugged into the back of the radio. Is that standard? If so, I plugged in the wire that goes from the GROM unit to the back of the radio. Turn on the radio and try to hit "Disc", and nothing happens. This is all while the radio stations that usually work, is very staticky and I can't really hear the music even when I know those stations worked before. I unplug the unit and the radio works perfectly. So after I kept getting the same results with nothing happening when I press "Disc", I saw something about using a jumper and installing it on the GROM unit if the unit doesn't correctly connect. I tried that and once I plugged everything together, the radio was still working so I thought that was an achievement, but when I pressed "Disc", again, nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?

Here is the radio and back of what I have.

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

Hey all - I'm going to bring this back up b/c I'm having problems with this even though it should be pretty straight forward. I can't tell if it's user error or if the Grom that got shipped to me is defective. I have an 01 Lexus LX 470 with the Mark Levinson package with NO navigation. So I took the radio out, and noticed only 1 wiring harness is plugged into the back of the radio. Is that standard? If so, I plugged in the wire that goes from the GROM unit to the back of the radio. Turn on the radio and try to hit "Disc", and nothing happens. This is all while the radio stations that usually work, is very staticky and I can't really hear the music even when I know those stations worked before. I unplug the unit and the radio works perfectly. So after I kept getting the same results with nothing happening when I press "Disc", I saw something about using a jumper and installing it on the GROM unit if the unit doesn't correctly connect. I tried that and once I plugged everything together, the radio was still working so I thought that was an achievement, but when I pressed "Disc", again, nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?
Here is the radio and back of what I have.

View attachment 1352855

View attachment 1352856

Bringing this back from the absolute dead because I'm in the same boat currently. Stock 2001 LX470, GROM-AUX1 TOYOA1 kit, non-Nav, non-Nakamichi, Mark Levinson system. Just got done installing it into the spare port on the back of the head unit and cannot get it to see the GROM at all, just plays the CD as normal. Also installed the jumper pin and tried it that way and same thing. I shut off the ignition a handful of times in every scenario and it's the same, just plays the CD like normal. I've contacted GROM support so I'll see what they say and update this thread off that. I know I've wasted enough time searching this forum for someone having this exact same problem so hopefully this helps someone in the future should I get it to work.

Bringing this back from the absolute dead because I'm in the same boat currently. Stock 2001 LX470, GROM-AUX1 TOYOA1 kit, non-Nav, non-Nakamichi, Mark Levinson system. Just got done installing it into the spare port on the back of the head unit and cannot get it to see the GROM at all, just plays the CD as normal. Also installed the jumper pin and tried it that way and same thing. I shut off the ignition a handful of times in every scenario and it's the same, just plays the CD like normal. I've contacted GROM support so I'll see what they say and update this thread off that. I know I've wasted enough time searching this forum for someone having this exact same problem so hopefully this helps someone in the future should I get it to work.
Head unit made by Pioneer correct? Won't work. I went back and forth with GROM about their BT3 unit two months ago. I guess they still won't disclose their units won't work with the Pioneer made ML head units with the in-dash CD changer. Mine is an 01 too. Get a refund.

Head unit made by Pioneer correct? Won't work. I went back and forth with GROM about their BT3 unit two months ago. I guess they still won't disclose their units won't work with the Pioneer made ML head units with the in-dash CD changer. Mine is an 01 too. Get a refund.

Yeah says Pioneer on the bottom sticker on the cage. That's a bummer, I swore I read about people using the BT3 with the ML non-nav 01/02 before but maybe I've been wrong. Their 03 LX470 harness looks like it matches the factory radio harness that powers mine. Wonder if that along with the Y-connector plugged in would work and just disable the CD player?

What did you end up going with? I guess that leaves the Crux, or $150 USA spec, or soldering in one to the tape deck? All I care about is an aux input so I can run BT off of it. Don't care about CD/tape/AM/FM.

What did you end up going with? I guess that leaves the Crux, or $150 USA spec, or soldering in one to the tape deck? All I care about is an aux input so I can run BT off of it. Don't care about CD/tape/AM/FM.
Uh, I lost patience and did the head unit, amp, powered sub, and new door speakers. Warning: nothing, and I mean nothing, fits the rear stock speaker location if you want to keep the factory mounting plastic without creative modification OR ditch the factory plastic piece (like I did). A 6.5" coax with a half inch spacer works really well though. Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom