Grom BT3 for Bluetooth? Anyone try it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn, really want to avoid redoing the whole thing. Just want an aux plug in. Already bought the speaker refoam kit for all the speakers.

Damn, really want to avoid redoing the whole thing. Just want an aux plug in. Already bought the speaker refoam kit for all the speakers.
I have a working Metra harness which works with the factory ML amp and an aftermarket head unit if you are interested in going this route. It works fine; I removed it since I finally did the whole she-bang of a stereo upgrade. Yours for the price of shipping and, lets say, $15. I think it cost me $55+ from Amazon.

Another thing to try would be see if you can find a functioning, non-Pioneer ML head unit (heck, it may not even have to be ML for all I know) that at least powers on and can work with the BT3 kit. Direct swap if it works too.

In the end, though, I am very happy I replaced the ML system. The sound quality and sonic purity difference was startling.

I have a working Metra harness which works with the factory ML amp and an aftermarket head unit if you are interested in going this route. It works fine; I removed it since I finally did the whole she-bang of a stereo upgrade. Yours for the price of shipping and, lets say, $15. I think it cost me $55+ from Amazon.

Another thing to try would be see if you can find a functioning, non-Pioneer ML head unit (heck, it may not even have to be ML for all I know) that at least powers on and can work with the BT3 kit. Direct swap if it works too.

In the end, though, I am very happy I replaced the ML system. The sound quality and sonic purity difference was startling.

I originally thought of going that route, but the Metra (TTY-?) harness has issues with bass output through the ML amp as well as the potential for hissing if you don't install ground loop isolators, and the beatsonic has the issue of losing the fader function, oh and also costing $350 for a ****ing harness and couple pieces of plastic. Not to mention the money dropped on a new head unit in addition to everything. Really just need an aux out from the original stereo into the ML amp and ML speakers. I think i'm going to take the head unit apart and attempt to solder in an aux input on the cassette player as mentioned in a few threads, though with conflicting information in a few of them.

I'd also have to dig in to see what head unit would possibly work with the Grom as there is so much conflicting and incomplete information on the forums with regards to what works with what setup. According to pinoutguide.com there are 7 different variation of head units on 100 series. And from what I can gather my specific head unit (P6808 Pioneer p/n 86120-60290) has the correct CD changer port on the back, but for some reason or another is wired differently than the 98-00 and 02.

Yep, it's a minefield of info. Best of luck

Thought I would chime back in for anyone in the future that runs across this thread searching for the same answers as I was. The GROM did not work at all due to the ML system. I ended up not going with the AUX and decided to go with a plug and play head unit with Android Auto. I used the Beat-Sonic SLX-82AAD harness and the single DIN Pioneer AVH3500NEX flip out head unit. The reason I went with this is the 01's don't have the steering wheel volume control and I knew it would drive me nuts to have to look/reach for the volume buttons whether they were capacitive or actual. The 3500NEX is the only AA unit with a volume knob besides the ~5yr old Sony which has a worse screen and out of date software. I refoamed all the speakers to help save on the cost and used a universal double DIN radio pocket to fill the gap. After testing it in both slots I liked the lower slow better as it looks a little cleaner to me and is easier to reach everything with my elbow resting on the center console/armrest, as well as with a hand resting on the dash and using my thumb to click on the screen. I added a USB extension flush mount in between the two factory cigarette lighters. I also changed out one of them to a USB-C/USB charger that shows the battery voltage as well. The Pioneer does stick out a bit from the side, but it doesn't bother me at all. I used a pioneer parking brake bypass off Amazon since the Pioneer units look for a on/off/on pulse for the DVD to work. I didn't realize until after I ordered it that I could have just grounded the parking brake and had access to all the features except the DVD player. So if I did it again I would have just grounded it and been done with it.

All in all I'm very happy with it and glad I spent the extra money for it versus cheaping out with the AUX and phone mount route. The audio quality is great and the speaker re-foam was a bit tedious but worth it in the end. I had one speaker with metal shrapnel behind the coil that I spent a good few hours with scotch tape getting all of it out so it didn't make the metal on metal scratching noise when pushing the coil in/out to center it.

Pioneer2.jpg

Pioneer3.jpg

Pioneer4.jpg

Pioneer5.jpg

Thought I would chime back in for anyone in the future that runs across this thread searching for the same answers as I was. The GROM did not work at all due to the ML system.
Specifically, it doesn't work with the Pioneer head unit that is OEM with the ML system in the 01 LX. Welcome to the club

I think it would be very helpful if the fact that the Pioneer OEM headunit of the ML system for the 01 LX is Bluetooth incompatible with all known CD changer based control devices is put in the FAQ or sticky sections. It comes up pretty often

By the way, I was able to keep using my CD changer, though I will definitely have lesser use of it.

My CD changer didn't work when I got my vehicle. I installed the GROM BT3. I recently bought a working CD changer from another mud member. I can confirm that you will retain the CD changer and the GROM streaming, at least in the 2003 and newer version LX470 w/ ML. The GROM has a piggyback plug that allows both to work. You push the CD button to toggle back and forth. I did run into an issue on install that was giving me a "external system not connected" message. I tried everything for a couple hours. I finally found that it was the plug for the rear passenger entertainment controls on the center console. Since I had it disconnected to put the changer in it wasn't working. I was trying to make sure it all worked before I put it all back together. Long story short, you need the rear radio controls to be plugged in for everything to work. Hope that saves someone a headache.

My CD changer didn't work when I got my vehicle. I installed the GROM BT3. I recently bought a working CD changer from another mud member. I can confirm that you will retain the CD changer and the GROM streaming, at least in the 2003 and newer version LX470 w/ ML. The GROM has a piggyback plug that allows both to work. You push the CD button to toggle back and forth. I did run into an issue on install that was giving me a "external system not connected" message. I tried everything for a couple hours. I finally found that it was the plug for the rear passenger entertainment controls on the center console. Since I had it disconnected to put the changer in it wasn't working. I was trying to make sure it all worked before I put it all back together. Long story short, you need the rear radio controls to be plugged in for everything to work. Hope that saves someone a headache.

My cd changer in my 06 LC doesn’t work. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your old one? I’m looking at the grom usb3 and hoping I find a stupid reason for why the cd changer doesn’t work so I can fix that too.

My cd changer in my 06 LC doesn’t work. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your old one? I’m looking at the grom usb3 and hoping I find a stupid reason for why the cd changer doesn’t work so I can fix that too.
Mine would not eject or play. I got it to play a couple times but not eject. It seems like a common problem with them. I think the vertical orientation contributes to the failure. There is a place that will repair them but it was pretty pricey. I got lucky and found someone with a working one. I live in WY and we have big expanses of no radio or cell signal, so the CD player is nice for us.

Just wanted to pass along that the Grom BT3 was received today, installed in less than ten minutes in my ‘99 and I couldn’t be happier. Wanted to keep my stock head unit as I’m cool with it and it meets my low maintenance needs. I’m not into electronics, and this was an easy job. One plug and play and I’m streaming Spotify like I wanted.

I just installed a GROM USB version and I’m really happy with it.

Last edited:
Hi guys

My USB3 turned up today along with the TOY1 harness.

I've have every plug out the back of the radio and the 12pin supplied loom does not fit any of them.

Do I have to fit it at the CD changer end ?

Mine is a 2002 with the built in nav (buttons down the side of the screen), tape player underneath and CD changer in the center console.

Does anyone know how to connect a Bluetooth device to make the GROM discoverable? I have an 04 with Nav/no nacamichi. I switched bought a new phone and forgot how to reconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom